pregnancy price

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
because we all have nasty opinions! ha! ;)

SIL just popped out the first one, produced immediately after getting married so she forgot to visit insurance company and include maternity clause. each month just the vitamins, proteins and stuff was 100 dollars. maybe it 1,000 bucks for 9 months. doctors visits, scans, tests and other related medical issues, 1,000 dollars more. if you are a weakling, have bad stomach or other health issues think about 100 dollars per day each time you stay in a hospital. and you are likely to end in a hospital for anything, from cold to infection.

so we have 2,000 minimum medical costs. birth by c-section here in POP was about 2,000 dollars. we have 4,000 minimum already, providing that prenada does not get sick and land in a hospital. this is campo costs, of course. in SD the hospitals will cost more money and a good gyno, favoured by rich dominicanas will take 100 dollars just for a single visit.

of course you may also want to see a thread i started about infant mortality rate to see what a real price of pregnancy in DR might be.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
because we all have nasty opinions! ha! ;)

SIL just popped out the first one, produced immediately after getting married so she forgot to visit insurance company and include maternity clause. each month just the vitamins, proteins and stuff was 100 dollars. maybe it 1,000 bucks for 9 months. doctors visits, scans, tests and other related medical issues, 1,000 dollars more. if you are a weakling, have bad stomach or other health issues think about 100 dollars per day each time you stay in a hospital. and you are likely to end in a hospital for anything, from cold to infection.

so we have 2,000 minimum medical costs. birth by c-section here in POP was about 2,000 dollars. we have 4,000 minimum already, providing that prenada does not get sick and land in a hospital. this is campo costs, of course. in SD the hospitals will cost more money and a good gyno, favoured by rich dominicanas will take 100 dollars just for a single visit.

of course you may also want to see a thread i started about infant mortality rate to see what a real price of pregnancy in DR might be.

I don't think the OP wants to look at the infant mortality rate thread. He'll be scared sh!tless!:cross-eye

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't think the OP wants to look at the infant mortality rate thread. He'll be scared sh!tless!:cross-eye

no one wants to read that, i guess. the thing is that the price of pregnancy in DR may turn to be very high. we talked about this before and the general consensus is that it is better to give birth wherever the mother comes from. i am not a mother but i think pregnancy and birth are stressful as it is. it is better to be in a safer environment, surrounded by family and friends.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
800 monthly for gyno visits + 2000 pesos on prenatal/proteins monthly. The c -section was 29,000, performed by her gyno on both pregnancies. Her gyno has been a close family friend for my entire life so I'm sure we were given deals on some things. I would consider everything to be on the low end of most US quality hospitals. We go to the policlinico in La Vega since this is where her gyno works. She worked at Corominas previously and switched 4 years ago.

It's funny sometimes when Dominicans mention how much their gyno/doctors cost. If you think that doctors charge their own friends 3-4k per consulta you are out of your mind. In the upper-middle/upper class dominicans, friends don't charge each other for consultas/favors and most would be offended if you tried.

The funniest thing is that my wife's dermatologist charges 2500 per consulta and her consultorio is packed all day with friends and family coming and going not paying a cent to get all kinds of free stuff checked out. The reason the upper crust do this is because that is the way they stay connected, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours types of deals.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
How in the hell am I gonna make it to 500 posts with these questions??? I might quit DR1 before it gets good.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
179, I need jesus... how much can I buy posts for??? CCCCCCCCCCCC will you take my password and make me the coolest guy on here with at least 500 posts????

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
I paid 2,000 USD for a C-section birth in CMC (cabarete). It was very clean, I had no problem with infection or getting attention if I needed it. The visits were 1,500 pesos per time, 1 time per month until 7 months, then every other week, then every week once I hit my final month. The doc speaks a little English. My mom bought my prenatal vitamins and had them shipped through the mail, so I don't know how much those would have cost. Overall I was happy with the experience and I would give birth here again if I had to. It wasn't like giving birth in the US though, I didn't see my baby for 6 hours after I gave birth and they instantly put him on a bottle. I wasn't happy about that. Feel free to message me if you have questions. I could have never afforded the care in the US as I have no health coverage.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you're giving birth privately you have to budget for every eventuality. Sometimes even when you prepare for a natural delivery you may end up having to have a C-section.

But unfortunately, for many DR doctors - and mothers - it is the default. The C-section rate here is much higher than the WHO recommendation (something like 40% vs 15% - SKing would know the exact figure).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why so many C-section ?? What about "natural delivery" ??

Some people say it's so they can charge more to you, but I think it's because that way the gynecologist can plan the delivery and make sure it doesn't interfere with his consult hours...so in the end it's about money.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Random question out of curiosity, since i know very little about those things.

When you buy health insurance in the dr, does that cover all those expenses ?

Apr 13, 2011
My wife had a C-Section. Three years ago - which cost approximately $2000USD, actually I think a little more, but that is a close number. I do not remember the costs over the nine months - someone mentioned around $100 per visit and that sounds right.
Yes - if you get insurance with maternity coverage (before she is pregnant), then it will cover costs, how much will depend on what plan.
I also agree that C-Sections are very high here. We originally said we wanted natural birth, no c-section - then the doctor said there was a potential complication and a c-section was needed. At that moment, you can't really say no, because your concern is only for the life and safety of your baby and wife. But, when you look at the high percentage of C-sections done in the DR, it does make you wonder how many are done because it is "easier for the doctor and they get more money" - just makes you wonder...
Also - I actually had to argue/insist that my baby was going home in a car seat when it was time to leave. The nurses were trying to say that it was bad for the baby's back. I told them it would be worse if a car hit me and my baby went flying out of my wife's arms. My baby was able to lie down properly in the car seat and be strapped in safely. I was not going to drive in SD with my wife only holding our newborn child. But for a while, she was ready to listen to them because they were nurses telling her this. (But this tangent can lead to kids never in car seats or seatbelts in the DR...)

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
op was a straight up honest question................
And 17 posts later not one person could give a straight answer.............

B in Santiago

You are right on that one. If i wanted stupid answers i would of asked a stupid question. This one isnt stupid at all to me. Real life here. Just trying to be prepared and these imature kids have to go on with bs

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I paid 2,000 USD for a C-section birth in CMC (cabarete). It was very clean, I had no problem with infection or getting attention if I needed it. The visits were 1,500 pesos per time, 1 time per month until 7 months, then every other week, then every week once I hit my final month. The doc speaks a little English. My mom bought my prenatal vitamins and had them shipped through the mail, so I don't know how much those would have cost. Overall I was happy with the experience and I would give birth here again if I had to. It wasn't like giving birth in the US though, I didn't see my baby for 6 hours after I gave birth and they instantly put him on a bottle. I wasn't happy about that. Feel free to message me if you have questions. I could have never afforded the care in the US as I have no health coverage.

Thanks alot. Im not pregnant but i am going there for one year and it likly might happen and i want to be prepaird. 5000 us$ or less is what ill keep in mind. Thanks for a real answer. :)

May 29, 2006
A friend of mine who was a med student once told me that about a third of all c-sections happen on Fridays. Golf is a bigger priority than natural birth.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If you're giving birth privately you have to budget for every eventuality. Sometimes even when you prepare for a natural delivery you may end up having to have a C-section.

But unfortunately, for many DR doctors - and mothers - it is the default. The C-section rate here is much higher than the WHO recommendation (something like 40% vs 15% - SKing would know the exact figure).

Last figure 39% (http://www.who.int/gho/publications/world_health_statistics/EN_WHS2013_Full.pdf)

I also agree that C-Sections are very high here. We originally said we wanted natural birth, no c-section - then the doctor said there was a potential complication and a c-section was needed. At that moment, you can't really say no, because your concern is only for the life and safety of your baby and wife.

When women are given my number, or they're in a class, or some other way we meet and they have had an "emergency" C-section, I always ask why? I have never counted my responses but on average, I could say, 95% of the time the reason was BS.

i am going there for one year and it likly might happen

Likely might happen? Do you want it to happen? You do know how you get pregnant and how to prevent it yes? If you are trying to get pregnant then say, I want to get pregnant...but "likely might happen".......

SHALENA