pregnancy price

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my SIL was hell bent on natural birth. i laughed out loud at this idea and said "good luck with that coz it ain't gonna happen". 9 months later doctor says "yeah, and the umbilical cord is wrapped around baby's neck so come tomorrow at 7 am and we cut you up". can't say i am convinced it was the case...

c-section was done, followed by massive infection of the wound. she did not heal well at all. and of course it means that her future births will be by c-sections as well.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
my SIL was hell bent on natural birth. i laughed out loud at this idea and said "good luck with that coz it ain't gonna happen". 9 months later doctor says "yeah, and the umbilical cord is wrapped around baby's neck so come tomorrow at 7 am and we cut you up". can't say i am convinced it was the case...

c-section was done, followed by massive infection of the wound. she did not heal well at all. and of course it means that her future births will be by c-sections as well.

Cord around the neck is the number 1 BS reason for C-sections in the Dominican Republic (that's not fact just my personal opinion :D)
I am not a Midwife yet, I am not "allowed" to deliver babies in my job but as any L&D Nurse can tell you, we have to at times when the doctor does not make it in time. And in my 13.5 years as a Nurse it happens alot more than you think.

I myself have delivered many babies with cords around the neck. And in the US, this is NOT a reason for a C-section. If I, a nurse, can deliver a baby with a nuchal cord (that is the medical term), why can't these Dominican doctors with all of their years of schooling and education?

They scare the Dominican women by telling them that the baby will be strangled. Uhhhhhh...babies don't breathe or exchange air until they are cut off from the placenta sooooooooo.....uhhhhhhhh.

Yes, a cord can get pinched or stretched in the birthing process but well trained physicians (and nurses :)) know what maneuvers to initiate to relieve that and deliver the baby safely.

This is basic OB, so sad that so many Dominican moms undergo unnecessary surgery and its subsequent problems because their doctors are not properly trained.

BTW...here is a video of a mom delivering, who did not want anyone messing with her or her baby. She delivered the baby in the hospital but everyone was hands off. The baby had the cord around the neck 5 times...... yes FIVE times!!! So, uh....yeah...everyone else in the world seems to be able to do it. (and the video is a birth so don't watch it if you have an aversion to vagina and/or breasts lol) The Unassisted Hospital Birth of Clay (better version) - YouTube

SHALENA

P.S.
DV8....stop gettin' me riled up! I could type all day!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Years ago, when I worked at a colegio, I used to be confused when I noticed quite a few students always seemed to have plaster casts on their limbs. A doctor friend explained it to me - - doctors collect a much higher insurance fee when a cast is applied, no matter the severity of the injury (sprained ankle is worth as much as a compound fracture if a cast is applied).

Cord around the neck is the number 1 BS reason for C-sections in the Dominican Republic (that's not fact just my personal opinion :D)
I am not a Midwife yet, I am not "allowed" to deliver babies in my job but as any L&D Nurse can tell you, we have to at times when the doctor does not make it in time. And in my 13.5 years as a Nurse it happens alot more than you think.

I myself have delivered many babies with cords around the neck. And in the US, this is NOT a reason for a C-section. If I, a nurse, can deliver a baby with a nuchal cord (that is the medical term), why can't these Dominican doctors with all of their years of schooling and education?

They scare the Dominican women by telling them that the baby will be strangled. Uhhhhhh...babies don't breathe or exchange air until they are cut off from the placenta sooooooooo.....uhhhhhhhh.

Yes, a cord can get pinched or stretched in the birthing process but well trained physicians (and nurses :)) know what maneuvers to initiate to relieve that and deliver the baby safely.

This is basic OB, so sad that so many Dominican moms undergo unnecessary surgery and its subsequent problems because their doctors are not properly trained.

BTW...here is a video of a mom delivering, who did not want anyone messing with her or her baby. She delivered the baby in the hospital but everyone was hands off. The baby had the cord around the neck 5 times...... yes FIVE times!!! So, uh....yeah...everyone else in the world seems to be able to do it. (and the video is a birth so don't watch it if you have an aversion to vagina and/or breasts lol) The Unassisted Hospital Birth of Clay (better version) - YouTube

SHALENA

P.S.
DV8....stop gettin' me riled up! I could type all day!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I first went to work at a hospital here in Santo Domingo, I asked a Dominican Doctor about the high number of appendectomys I was seeing.
He said they were common because the surgeons got more money to "operate" rather than just prescribe antibiotics!
He went on to say that a Doctor he knew dis a study, looking at the pathology of all the appendics removed, and found over 75 % were normal!
He said if someone, especially a child,came in with "Belly Pain", they got surgery to remove their "Appy"!
That's "Malpractice" in my book!
Same for the high # of "C-sections" done here, my wife has had 3!!!!!!!!!
They should install "Zippers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I had a baby 2 years ago at CMC (Centro Medico Cabarete) and had all appointments there from 6 weeks until birth. Monthly (and eventually twice a month then every week) appointments were 1000 pesos each. I also had 3 ultrasounds throughout which were also 1000 pesos each. Then finally the birth, which was natural, plus one night in hospital, was 38 000 pesos which was right around $1000 USD at that time. Doctor was good, knowledgable, calm and spoke quite a bit of English. Will be using him and CMC again for next pregnancy in future.

deezee

Jan 4, 2014
Why do you say that? we just did it 5 months ago and it runs 40,000 pesos more or less. without insurance, how much clearer then that do you need?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
There is a German (i think) Midwife in Sosua. I don't know how she works, but what i heard was positive. She has of her own, if i recall correctly 9 kids ... and she is a very nice person.
BTW health insurance in DR is about 1500 pesos per months (about US$ 35) they will cover pregnancy after 6 months of insurance begin and other health issues after one month waiting.
Plan Optimo
There are many other insurances, i just picked that one to give you an overall idea....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Dominican health insurance paid for all 3 of my wife's C-sections, EVERY Peso!
Then paid for my children's MANY hospital stays.
And 5 stays, for me!
Get Some!!!!!!!!!
CCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There is a German (i think) Midwife in Sosua. I don't know how she works, but what i heard was positive. She has of her own, if i recall correctly 9 kids ... and she is a very nice person.
BTW health insurance in DR is about 1500 pesos per months (about US$ 35) they will cover pregnancy after 6 months of insurance begin and other health issues after one month waiting.
Plan Optimo
There are many other insurances, i just picked that one to give you an overall idea....

Please be careful giving out this information on a pubic forum. Please use a PM. Midwifery is ILLEGAL in the Dominican Republic, there are no licenses, certifications, etc.
She is probably doing a wonderful job....but if we want her to continue to be able to do a wonderful job, please be careful in the future and give that info privately.

Most likely she has never lost a baby so she must have good statistics :) The Dominican doctors can cause the deaths of hundreds of moms and babies, but if she slips up one time...especially extranjera.....well, ya tu sabes.

Hopefully, with the ongoing work that we are doing, she won't have to work unlicensed for long!

SHALENA

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Why so many C-section ?? What about "natural delivery" ??

People here think your intimate parts will be ruined if you have a baby by natural birth.
Just about every family member and friend I know has had a C-section.

We had a baby shower for a family member. She is a young Dr here and at the shower she
told me that a C-section was the safest way to go for the baby and that not having one would
probably contribute to her losing her marriage. She even said that natural births were the cause
of the high mortality and infant illness rate in the US! WTH?

I gave her some quick facts and walked away. I didn't want to get into it since we were honoring her that day.
I held her in high regard but now I'm disappointed in her backwards, archaic thinking with no facts to support it.

Last edited:

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
One thing that I really liked about my doctor, and the main reason I went with him is that when I told him about a hundred times that I wanted a natural birth if at all possible, he told me over and over again, "Yes, absolutely! You will have a natural birth!" and I did just that... with umbilical cord wrapped around my little blue baby's neck which he removed in one swift motion! The night I went in to delivery (10pm on a Sunday in January.. eek!) the clinic was empty and doctor had been called in as well as the anesthesiologist but as soon as the doctor saw the anesthesiologist he told him he could go back home, as I would be delivering this baby naturally. Brave call but he was right. (I am sure the anesthesiologist stuck around in another area of the clinic just in case)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
One thing that I really liked about my doctor, and the main reason I went with him is that when I told him about a hundred times that I wanted a natural birth if at all possible, he told me over and over again, "Yes, absolutely! You will have a natural birth!" and I did just that... with umbilical cord wrapped around my little blue baby's neck which he removed in one swift motion! The night I went in to delivery (10pm on a Sunday in January.. eek!) the clinic was empty and doctor had been called in as well as the anesthesiologist but as soon as the doctor saw the anesthesiologist he told him he could go back home, as I would be delivering this baby naturally. Brave call but he was right. (I am sure the anesthesiologist stuck around in another area of the clinic just in case)

Now THAT'S an Obstetrician!

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I gave her some quick facts and walked away. I didn't want to get into it since we were honoring her that day.
I held her in high regard but now I'm disappointed in her backwards, archaic thinking with no facts to support it.

Yeah, unfortunately that was probably taught to her and engrained in her mind in medical school so don't be too disappointed. They teach a lot in DR without evidence to back it up. And sometimes they still teach it even when there is evidence to the CONTRARY!

SHALENA

Martanathan

Jan 8, 2014
Hello, regarding birth in Dr I am about to DO IT in 3 mth time and called private hospitals in punta cana about 2 weeks ago . I was quoted $3000-$3500 for a c section including 3 day stay in a hospital ( centro medico punta cana i think it was) and i am happy with it as far as the facilities are clean and stuff knowledgeable what i would expected going privately. My other option is to have a baby at chelsea and westminster hospital in london also by elective c section . Now , contrary to popular believe private facilities surely have to be better then public sector in uk. Speaking from en experience ,i had a choice 7 years ago to have my son in this same hospital in london but after a tour of the maternity ward ( about 10 beds divided by a curtain and no privacy , and yes we are talking about one of the best hospital in the capital i opted to have my baby in Poland, krakow , in private clinic with the possibility of freezing the stem cells just in case my son would ever need it , HOPE NOT ;-) it was fantastic , if i had the care in uk same as poland it would surely cost me more then 10 000 ? . plus 7 years ago nobody heard about stem cells storage programs wherever in poland its a common practice . So i am keeping my fingers crossed for private clinic in pc !!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

Wow, this is sad. But listening to the mother's account I don't automatically hear any medical negligence. If they listened to the baby when she was admitted and took her vital signs and all was ok, this is normal. Really, when someone breaks their water you should perform a vaginal exam but breaking water is not a cause of death for a baby unless the cord has prolapsed. This is rare but can sometimes happen which is why if you are in the hospital and not on a continuous fetal monitor, a vaginal exam should be performed. "If" her cord had prolapsed, again very rare, and she was left, yes, the baby would die. Also, she never mentioned anyone listening to the baby again after the initial assessment. The baby should be listened to (while in labor) a minimum of every 2 hours but she said that hours and hours went by.

I can't understand right now why her baby died. Maybe they will know after autopsy. And they should be able to tell approximately how long the baby was dead (on the inside).

Very sad.

SHALENA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have ARS Universal.
3 adults and 3 children.
I pay, 70,000 pesos a year.
I like them because,
"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor,......"PERIOD"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the "Barry PLUS" policy.
If I like it, I can keep it,.....................
"PERIOD"!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC