Pregnant Dominican Teen Dies After Abortion Ban Delays Chemo Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Praise reality, possibly from a native and stand in shock as the words are spoken truely of how most feel. Respect and this is how most of us feel.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am very much in favour of abortions. but only as a last resort. number one is always prevention. there is no excuse whatsoever not to protect oneself from unwanted pregnancy. first and foremost have some brains and don't f**k. second, there is a morning after pill and it costs less than 100 pesos. third, there are plenty of pills/injections at low price - just over 100 pesos. and salud publico gives them away free of charge. plus, any woman in DR can get sterilized, this is a fairly routine procedure and in most cases it is done right after c section. in fact all adult dominicanas i know who already have few kids have had their tubes tied.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You know more than me on this issue but I have heard that one of the issues is that many women take only half of the components of the RU487 Mifepristone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and they take it on their own without doctor's supervision.... and that evidently has caused a number of deaths. But it is just hearsay

cytotec is misoprostol Misoprostol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. i know probably hundreds of women who used that - it is a best seller in dominican pharmacies. i have not heard or seen any problems so far.
of course, the use of medical abortion can present complications, including death. but so can giving birth.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
On this abortion thing, I would like to know how many women's opinions were asked prior to passing this law? I don't agree with abortion either, but it's not my choice to make. It's the mother's choice. Many of us would like to inject religion, church and any other reasons we can come up with. But no one's hands are clean in this because we are all sinners if you follow the religious route. On the religious route, we all have to answer to the Big Man for our sins that's one of my reasons for agreeing that it is the mother's choice and not mine nor the government's.

Every woman;s group i know of was against Article 30 and very verbal about it although i do not know if they were allowed to testify. I do know that the professional organization of gynocologists came out firmly and strongly opposed..

against the women... against the doctors

but the Church had a lot of help from fly in groups from the US who put videos on every legislators desk and lined the road with their Abortion is Murder signs.. Anyone who has been around a clinic which provides abortions in the US has seen them. So it is not just the Catholics.. they are mild mannered in comparison

Dec 26, 2011
I'm not pro-abortion but neither am I willing to cross the line to support banning them altogether...

Very few proponents of reproductive rights would refer to themselves as "pro-abortion". There's nothing pleasant about it. But they recognize that it's the pregnant women themselves that are best at determining how they'll handle their state.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
While many do support aborton I?m sure no doubt none would support the killing of a child that would live on it?s own after leaving the womb - hence the need of the creation of a term, fetal viability, in order to be able to legislate when the fetus is actually considered a human being.

Even with the definition of fetal viability being sometime before the normal gestation period this concept is arbitrary to say the least and very much dependent on the ability of medicine to keep a child alive at the time. While only a hundred years ago it could be argued a child was viable only after being weaned I expect modern science will in the sometime near future will be able to keep fetus alive only a matter of weeks after conception and I expect the current definition of fetal viability to be therefore challenged.

My point is to establish the fetal viability concept is a farce because given enough time it will have covered the period right after conception of the child (in the future) to two years of age (many years ago). So therefore what now is considered morally ok, aborting a child of 5 months, no doubt in the future will be considered barbaric and a crime. Likewise, imagine if the term fetal viablity existed 100 years ago how would people consider the killing of a child that is still weaning? Therefore the only logically definition of life should be at conception.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
what about the life of a mother, then? is that of no value?

If abortion were just about fetus's being sacrificed to save the mother's life I doubt we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Excepting medical cases, my question to you is why is the value of a child's life less than the simple whim of the mother (as happnens in 90+ % of all abortions)???

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
This can be argued until the end of time but it is clear that the DR is very backward in their thinking on this matter. It also shows clearly that here woman have little value when it comes to their own decisions. Is abortion the answer to all problems of course not but in some cases it can mean the difference of life or death. A medical decision should outweigh a religious one.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's apparent some of you couldn't be bothered to check CNN's article against the references I posted. It's a lot easier to point fingers and call people ignorant and pretend to take the moral high ground all the while failing to acknowledge that 90% of all abortion aren't to protect a women's life nor are because of rape but rather for simple and selfish inconvenience.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My point is to establish the fetal viability concept is a farce because given enough time it will have covered the period right after conception of the child (in the future) to two years of age (many years ago). So therefore what now is considered morally ok, aborting a child of 5 months, no doubt in the future will be considered barbaric and a crime. Likewise, imagine if the term fetal viablity existed 100 years ago how would people consider the killing of a child that is still weaning? Therefore the only logically definition of life should be at conception.

exactly. so when in the future it may be viable to keep the embryo alive and going from the conception - it is not true now. hopefully in the future women will have full control of their reproductive functions and there will be only wanted pregnancies. or, better still, one would be able to drop off the egg and sperm in a hospital and come back to pick up a brat 9 months later, without the pain and the hassle. but the thing about the future is that, well, it's not here yet.

and yes, i am not too keen on repeated abortions as a means of birth control. normal contraception is way easier. but, at the end of the day i am even less keen to have MEN decide about that happens to a WOMAN'S body.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well at the rate science is going I expect a test tube baby to full term will at some point be a reality so it will save all those mothers the inconvenient experience of just doing what their body was designed to do.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well at the rate science is going I expect a test tube baby to full term will at some point be a reality so it will save all those mothers the inconvenient experience of just doing what their body was designed to do.

why don't you go and f**k yourself, because as a man this is what your body was designed to do? i have no uterus, i cannot breed. AND I WILL TAKE NO A**HOLE TELL ME I AM WORTHLESS AS A WOMAN NOW.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Do you consider the bastard child product of a violent or vicious rape a wanted pregnancy? Do you think an abortion under these conditions murder?

My point is that the conceived child shouldn't become the second victim of that horrible crime (the rape).

If a drunk driver hits you and you end up losing your leg as a consequence, you can't solve the problem undoing the loss of your leg, it's just beyond the possibilities, it's not an option. Just like that killing off the child after a rape should not be one of the options.

You can't undo a horrible act by another horrible act.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bs. i challenge you to have your teenage daughter raped and then see her carry the baby and give birth to it. see how happy she will be.
you are not a woman. end of story.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
bs. i challenge you to have your teenage daughter raped and then see her carry the baby and give birth to it. see how happy she will be.
you are not a woman. end of story.

My opinion definitely doesn't count, but God's does...you don't take an innocent life, end of story.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Like all evil things that are allowed to happen in this life God always get's the last laugh and in the case of rape an innocent child is the result of a heinous act. While non Christians have a very hard time with forgiveness, many Christians don't and I'm sure there are enough cases where this has happened and the child was not aborted. As for the mother being reminded of rape when they see the product of this crime, the child, this doesn't have to be the case if they are willing to forgive. In fact, I know personally of people that have been sexual abused and forgiven their abuser and have normal lives. Such is the power of Jesus Christ.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Religion should not be the deciding factor in whether abortion is legal or illegal. Wrong or right every woman should have the right to make their own decisions based on their beliefs. Whatever the decision they decide is one they will have to live with. Should abortion be used as some kind of birth control, no but you can not force feed ones beliefs onto another.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For those would pretend that beliefs cannot be forced by society on a person I challenge you to not pay your taxes, run a red light(in the States) or better shoot your neigbor for being a jerk and get back with me with the results.

Society is therefore all about the creation of norms, ie rules and regulations. Unfortunately in the case of abortion we have been hoodwinked into believing a women's right to have her child killed is more important than a human life. I honestly can't think of any other examples out there where killing is made so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.