Premium Dog Food in the D.R. !

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My last edition to my group of dogs has been raised from week 3 until 3 months on young chickens.
I feed my dogs occasionally raw here because its just really good for their digestive system and a good working digestive system in a dog gives you a dog who is fit and has a nice fully and healty coat which you actually can see. A whole raw chicken (I remove only the claws if they are in the packet) is a very complete meal for a dog, bones for the calcium, organmeat for the minerals and vitamins, stomage and intestion from the chicken for some positive absorption of digestive bacteria which helps the digestive system of the dog. If feathers are still present they are also on the menu.
Other times they get raw beef because its such a good source of good natural prote?ns.
And all my dogs learn to eat veggies and whole eggs with shell from pup on as an addition to their diet.
Rice I almost never give my dogs, its just a filler and doesn't add anything substantial to their diet.
If I could, all my dogs would be eating raw but its not feasable because of the lack of different kind of meats available here (no pigion, no rabbit, no sheep meat found yet, no wild meat like hare which is a great source of Iron for example, etc...)
And what I really miss here is the dirty stomage of a cow which is the most complete piece of organmeat you can give to a dog because its full with good bacteria, half processed grass full of vitamins and minerals, smels like hell but dogs love it. I would be a threat to have the chance to give them that once in a while.

Fascinating...... thank you.

You must be able to get cow stomach here.... would a pig do?
Pigs there are plenty of !!! :))

WW

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
foodfor dogs

I have yet to find a vet here that recommends meat for dogs. All of them tell me the best way to extend a dogs life is to feed them a good dry food.

I agree, good dry food isn't cheap.
this is true. but like you, I was told from different vet's , to serve a really good dry food. this i am doing. and inbetween vegetables, preperad fresh, mixed with rice or pasta (all my three doggies like this).
and meat I am feeding , but cooked - this as well I was told to do , because of the climate here, like I remember. my feeling is to prefer sometimes to serve raw, but I'm not shure, if this is o.k.:confused:
sabra

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think raw is bad...... but contrary to what Acira suggests, Dr Bob does not suggest raw eggs.

He likes cooked eggs for the dogs.

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't feed my dogs.

They just get to eat any "unfriendly" that stumbles onto the property...;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
this is true. but like you, I was told from different vet's , to serve a really good dry food. this i am doing. and inbetween vegetables, preperad fresh, mixed with rice or pasta (all my three doggies like this).
and meat I am feeding , but cooked - this as well I was told to do , because of the climate here, like I remember. my feeling is to prefer sometimes to serve raw, but I'm not shure, if this is o.k.:confused:
sabra

Its absolutely save to serve your dog raw meat and raw fish (fish is rich in omega 3 and 6 even for us humans a good thing to eat more raw fish ;).
Dogs have a totally different digestive system then ours and are resistent to any harmfull bacteria in raw meat for us humans. The only thing I do not serve raw is porkmeat due to the high risk of getting worm parasites from raw pork meat which is not healthy for your dog.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Fascinating...... thank you.

You must be able to get cow stomach here.... would a pig do?
Pigs there are plenty of !!! :))

WW

No, this specific stomache of a cow or similar animals who have to eat grass and then redigest it several times, thats what I am after.
I do not know the English name of that specific stomache, in Dutch its called "pens".

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
No, this specific stomache of a cow or similar animals who have to eat grass and then redigest it several times, thats what I am after.
I do not know the English name of that specific stomache, in Dutch its called "pens".

just know I looked in LEO - translation, from german to english,they say "ruminant animal",
>>>to ruminate

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I have yet to find a vet here that recommends meat for dogs. All of them tell me the best way to extend a dogs life is to feed them a good dry food.

I agree, good dry food isn't cheap.

I have nothing against dry kibbles but reading more about feeding raw and talking to people who are feeding raw to their dogs for more then 30 years, convinced me now more then 5 years ago that its just a better way to keep your dog healthy.
There is just no comparison between feeding kibbles or feeding raw.

The only dry kibble that can be compared with feeding raw or at least is getting very close to feeding raw in the form of a kibble is the brand Nature's Variety.
Not available in the DR, helas.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
What are people's opinions about feeding dogs chicken bones? I feed my 'potcakes' (street-dogs) chicken wing bones all the time, but I do not feed them to my Rottweilers. One would assume that the streetdogs have a genetic ability to process chicken bones compared to bred dogs, who run the danger of having the bones split and pierce their stomachs. My mom's US vet says he gets dogs all the time with chicken bone internal injuries, usually very severe. But in the US its mostly bred dogs, I am sure the local street dogs have been eating chicken bones for hundreds of years.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
For 4 years I made the dog food with raw veggies (yam, carrots, zucchini, eggplant, etc), garlic, fruits and meat. Would take about 3 hours to make enough for the month and would pack my freezer (AZB should remember this as a few frozen bags fell on his foot once)
I saw a huge difference in my dog during that time; coat was shiny, did not have that strong doggy odor, was never sick, no flees, no bad breath and firm poop. Now because of busy schedule we are back to dry food and all that comes with it. In the morning when I open the door to the garden I have to fight with the dogs to be first to get to the fallen mangos. They love mangos, bananas and will also eat the other fruits that fall from the trees like cherries, guava and cajuil. There is a raw dog food diet out there called Barf Diet.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
For 4 years I made the dog food with raw veggies (yam, carrots, zucchini, eggplant, etc), garlic, fruits and meat. Would take about 3 hours to make enough for the month and would pack my freezer (AZB should remember this as a few frozen bags fell on his foot once)
I saw a huge difference in my dog during that time; coat was shiny, did not have that strong doggy odor, was never sick, no flees, no bad breath and firm poop. Now because of busy schedule we are back to dry food and all that comes with it. In the morning when I open the door to the garden I have to fight with the dogs to be first to get to the fallen mangos. They love mangos, bananas and will also eat the other fruits that fall from the trees like cherries, guava and cajuil. There is a raw dog food diet out there called Barf Diet.

Indeed, its called Barfen when we used to feed our dogs on a raw diet.
No doggy odor, a lot lesser poo and I mean really quite a lot lesser. We don't have flees either because I add some garlic to their diet for this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What are people's opinions about feeding dogs chicken bones? I feed my 'potcakes' (street-dogs) chicken wing bones all the time, but I do not feed them to my Rottweilers. One would assume that the streetdogs have a genetic ability to process chicken bones compared to bred dogs, who run the danger of having the bones split and pierce their stomachs. My mom's US vet says he gets dogs all the time with chicken bone internal injuries, usually very severe. But in the US its mostly bred dogs, I am sure the local street dogs have been eating chicken bones for hundreds of years.

My understanding is the raw chicken bones are tolerable..... cooked ones splinter and can cause damage.

My dog wants to eat chicken..... the neighbour's chickens.... but they have escaped so far.
Woe be the day I have to face the neighbour who has no eggs :-((

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My understanding is the raw chicken bones are tolerable..... cooked ones splinter and can cause damage.

My dog wants to eat chicken..... the neighbour's chickens.... but they have escaped so far.
Woe be the day I have to face the neighbour who has no eggs :-((

WW

AUGH WW!!!

Raw bones of chickens, beef, fish, no problem with again the exeption for raw pork bones because their is alway's some flesh leftover on it.
Cooked bones especially chicken, NEVER!
Cooked beef and pork bones can be given to your dog but I prefer to give them raw anyway.
Smoked bones only when they are first have been coocked otherwise they are very fragile and can splinter very easely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know about area where you live, acira, but here in POP there are few slaughterhouses (small). surely they can sell cow's stomach and cow's whatever you wish :)
try that. not butcher but slaughterhouse.

Reactions: Acira

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i do not know about area where you live, acira, but here in POP there are few slaughterhouses (small). surely they can sell cow's stomach and cow's whatever you wish :)
try that. not butcher but slaughterhouse.

Thx dv8, its a bit too far from Jarabacoa to POP but maybe there is a slaughterhouse in Santiago...now trying to get the right names in Spanish for the things I want to buy for my dogs :laugh:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
My dog in the uk stole a chicken out of someones dustbin and punctured his stomach on a bone . ...I dont know whether raw is any better than cooked bones but wouldnt like to take the chance

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thx dv8, its a bit too far from Jarabacoa to POP but maybe there is a slaughterhouse in Santiago...now trying to get the right names in Spanish for the things I want to buy for my dogs :laugh:

The cow has one stomach with four compartments... one is the rumen (hence ruminant) Wikipedia has an article on it.

Just go to a slaughterhouse as suggested.... take a wheelbarrow !! :))

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
just know I looked in LEO - translation, from german to english,they say "ruminant animal",
>>>to ruminate

"Pens" in Dutch..."Tripe" in English.
Very healthy to give your dog once in a while, not too offen because of its richness. I usually give tripe one day once a month (depending on the calculated Barf diet for that specific dog, can be more) and do not feed them the next 24 hours.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Pens" in Dutch..."Tripe" in English.
Very healthy to give your dog once in a while, not too offen because of its richness. I usually give tripe one day once a month (depending on the calculated Barf diet for that specific dog, can be more) and do not feed them the next 24 hours.

Tripe is more of a cooked meal that a human would eat.... haggis for the Scottish

My Spanish dictionary does tripe as "callos" or "guata" but I defer to the next farmer who posts ! :rambo:

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The cow has one stomach with four compartments... one is the rumen (hence ruminant) Wikipedia has an article on it.

Just go to a slaughterhouse as suggested.... take a wheelbarrow !! :))

WW

And I need a bigger freezer also. Going to check first for the tripe for sure in a slaughterhouse in Santiago, the rest I have to see what they can offer me.

If anyone in the neighberhood has young foals and their hoofs need to be cut, do not throw away the cut offs but let me know. Its a delicatesse for dogs and especially for young pups, soft and very nutricious.