Premium Dog Food in the D.R. !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
acira, a place where they slaughter animals is called matadero. i believe that people who work there would simply use words like "estomago de vaca" :)
i think alternative feeding is sensible for people who breed or show their animals. regular owners could just as well run on regular food with occasional treats. as i said our dog east dry food but she also gets leftovers including lettuce and tomatoes. she also eats grass (one specific kind). every time we take her for a walk she gets about a handfull.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
acira, a place where they slaughter animals is called matadero. i believe that people who work there would simply use words like "estomago de vaca" :)
i think alternative feeding is sensible for people who breed or show their animals. regular owners could just as well run on regular food with occasional treats. as i said our dog east dry food but she also gets leftovers including lettuce and tomatoes. she also eats grass (one specific kind). every time we take her for a walk she gets about a handfull.

Thx for the "matadero".
I don't know if I am more sensible because I do sports, breed and do shows with my dogs.
Like I said before, my dogs are eating Alican at the moment and I am very well pleased with the results so far concirning price/quality but if I get the chance I will change back to a Barf diet or if available some day here in the DR, to a holistic blend for sure.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
And I need a bigger freezer also. Going to check first for the tripe for sure in a slaughterhouse in Santiago, the rest I have to see what they can offer me.

If anyone in the neighberhood has young foals and their hoofs need to be cut, do not throw away the cut offs but let me know. Its a delicatesse for dogs and especially for young pups, soft and very nutricious.

I could not agree more with your comment on the horse hoofs. Our dogs love the cut offs and wait patiently for their share when the horses get done.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
for those who want... I can get you into contact with the distributors of Royal Canin and of all brands of Purina... The last one also sells ProPlan which is one of the better super premium kibbles around (he told me it sold for around 1700 pesos for 40 pounds here)...

As far as I am concerned you have to make a choice... either you give kibble and then you stick to the one brand on which your dogs do well... if you give one of the better brands, there have been plenty of vets who have made a balanced diet... so mixing different brands is not a good idea..

or you give raw... more work, but definitely better... btw, unripe tomatoes are dangerous for a dog (don't remember who said they fed tomatoes...)

Our difficult, allergy-prone dog, is doing perfectly on alican, which we buy at 860 rds for 40 pounds...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most "Dry" Dogfood Has about 25% Protien

That means 75 % "Fillers"! Dogs eat other "Animals",NOT "Fillers"! I get "By products" from the supermarket butchers,including "Ground bones", good for expectant,and lactating "Mothers", ground meat scraps,chicken skins,and other ground "Mystery Meats". Supermercado Nationan has the most "Stuff",but "OLE" has some as well. I also get chicken livers. At about 28 pesos a pound they are still cheaper than "Dry" dogfood and are 100 % protien and fat ! My dogs,and cats too,are all in beautiful condition !
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Sylvie Chartier

Jan 14, 2015
Royal Canin

for those who want... I can get you into contact with the distributors of Royal Canin and of all brands of Purina... The last one also sells ProPlan which is one of the better super premium kibbles around (he told me it sold for around 1700 pesos for 40 pounds here)...

As far as I am concerned you have to make a choice... either you give kibble and then you stick to the one brand on which your dogs do well... if you give one of the better brands, there have been plenty of vets who have made a balanced diet... so mixing different brands is not a good idea..

or you give raw... more work, but definitely better... btw, unripe tomatoes are dangerous for a dog (don't remember who said they fed tomatoes...)

Our difficult, allergy-prone dog, is doing perfectly on alican, which we buy at 860 rds for 40 pounds...

Is this contact at Royal Canin still available? I have 2 persians and one exotic shorthair that are used to RC. When I go to Canada I bring some but I don't go often enough to feed them only RC. Please let me know.

Thank you!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is this contact at Royal Canin still available? I have 2 persians and one exotic shorthair that are used to RC. When I go to Canada I bring some but I don't go often enough to feed them only RC. Please let me know.

Thank you!

Where are you located? I can give you info for Santo Domingo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sylvie, there is a Royal Canin dealer near you

mine comes from Cabrera.. if you go to Playa Grande, its close

Persians ? Cat or dog...?

Nagua has a big selction

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There is no such thing en el pais. You do what we all do, when we have dogs that we care about. You make a dog mash: you get the cheapest cuts---on sale at Playero, or in Los Charamicos @ Asociacion---hearts, livers, offal (yuck----but cheap) and you get your ama de casa to stew it up with auyama, rice, carrots, potatoes, whatever, etc. You put it into baggies and freeze. Then you mix it with dried food, e voila. We have kept doggies alive for decades on this. The stuff that my ama de casa makes for the dogs is better than most Dominican lunches!