President Abinader visits Starlink in Los Angeles

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Starlink-Presidencia.png

President Luis Abinader, accompanied by Foreign Minister Roberto Alvarez, Industry & Commerce Minister Victor (Ito) Bisonó and ProDominicana director Biviana Riveiro visited the SpaceX as part of the presidential agenda in Los Angeles, California for the 9th Summit of the Americas.

As reported, SpaceX division, Starlink seeks to offer satellite internet services in the country. The service, which has been available since fall 2020, offers the promise of higher speeds and lower latency than other satellite providers.

The Presidency says that when the permit is approved, the country will become the first in the Caribbean and the fourth in Latin America to have this low-cost Internet service for remote communities. Starlink serves 32 countries worldwide. The Starlink website says it will be available in Puerto Rico as of 2023.

SpaceX gave the official delegation a tour and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I cannot wait for the Starlink service to arrive here in the 🇩🇴.
I will gladly pay the monthly fee for the services speeds that are being reported.
200 down
100 up
WHOA ‼️

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I cannot wait for the Starlink service to arrive here in the 🇩🇴.
I will gladly pay the monthly fee for the services speeds that are being reported.
200 down
100 up
WHOA ‼️

Totally with you on that. However, before I fork over cash, I want to see/hear of results. I have Altice and they suck with a capital SLURP.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Totally with you on that. However, before I fork over cash, I want to see/hear of results. I have Altice and they suck with a capital SLURP.
Yes, agreed
I am waiting for a hard announcement on the dates of availability here.
I plan to build a tower for an unobstructed LOS for my dish.
Fully understanding that weather will be a factor.
I have had an Altice hotspot and I have been happy with it until this year.
I have had Claro in my apartments and when I had a fiber optics connection I was very happy.
Since I moved from that location I have not been happy with the speed of the service I received.
And I have not been happy with the customer service or technical fixes of the the service problems reported.
Maybe a little competition will get their attention.
If there are enough defections from their subscriber pool.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Yes, agreed
I am waiting for a hard announcement on the dates of availability here.
I plan to build a tower for an unobstructed LOS for my dish.
Fully understanding that weather will be a factor.
I have had an Altice hotspot and I have been happy with it until this year.
I have had Claro in my apartments and when I had a fiber optics connection I was very happy.
Since I moved from that location I have not been happy with the speed of the service I received.
And I have not been happy with the customer service or technical fixes of the the service problems reported.
Maybe a little competition will get their attention.
If there are enough defections from their subscriber pool.
I suspect that it will be better than most options but not as good or cost-effective as one might dream but if you cannot get a fibre optic connection it may well be the best bet.