President to address impasse between Haiti and DR at the UN General Assembly

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Situacion-Frontera-Presidencia.png

President Luis Abinader spoke to the nation on Sunday, 17 September 2023, reaffirming his stand on the Masacre River impasse with Haiti and ensuring that there would not be a Dominican solution to the multidimensional crisis in Haiti. The UN Secretary General recently called for the Dominican Republic to do more to help Haiti.

President Luis Abinader is expected to present the Dominican position regarding the diverting the course of the shared waters of Masacre River at the 78th General Assembly of the United Nations (UN) to be held 19-23 September 2023 in New York, United States. The Dominican Republic’s turn to address the General Assembly is on 21 September. Foreign Minister Roberto Alvarez is on the program to speak, but he could be replaced by President Abinader.

In each of his speeches at the UN General Assembly, President Abinader has requested the UN...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Fascinating political poker game with high stakes! Luis is holding all the cards and is finally calling the UN’s bluff and he’s doing it in their face at the UN General Assembly. The ace he has up his sleeve Is full control of the border which he has shut down. My money’s on Luis getting UNHCR commitments to provide shelter and security to Haitians along the Haitian side of the border. While not a full scale intervention, it will require UN security forces to maintain the operation and that could open the door to further UN commitments.

The UN, a political paper tiger, has let the Haitian problem fester and grow for years and expected the DR to bear the financial cost of the refugee border problems. A cowardly approach in many respects. They weren’t listening when Luis requested assistance last year. They will be listening now. The UN has to realize the DR cannot fully advance socially and financially as long as Haitians continue to drain its resources. Other Latin American countries are staying mute but I suspect they support Luis and his current border shutdown.

The Haitian problem is a big problem and won’t be resolved in one big step. It will be small steps over a period of years. The old Chinese proverb, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” is applicable.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Fascinating political poker game with high stakes! Luis is holding all the cards and is finally calling the UN’s bluff and he’s doing it in their face at the UN General Assembly. The ace he has up his sleeve Is full control of the border which he has shut down. My money’s on Luis getting UNHCR commitments to provide shelter and security to Haitians along the Haitian side of the border. While not a full scale intervention, it will require UN security forces to maintain the operation and that could open the door to further UN commitments.

The UN, a political paper tiger, has let the Haitian problem fester and grow for years and expected the DR to bear the financial cost of the refugee border problems. A cowardly approach in many respects. They weren’t listening when Luis requested assistance last year. They will be listening now. The UN has to realize the DR cannot fully advance socially and financially as long as Haitians continue to drain its resources. Other Latin American countries are staying mute but I suspect they support Luis and his current border shutdown.

The Haitian problem is a big problem and won’t be resolved in one big step. It will be small steps over a period of years. The old Chinese proverb, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” is applicable.

Absolutely... A poker game that uses humans as chips. I wonder what it is that these political gamers are really after (what are these high stakes)?
Could it be cheap labor... Land that is still arable... A coastline that can be developed?

Or perhaps something that's under the land... Haiti is not a desert environment. Haiti gets a lot of rainfall... To quote an article I came across... "Groundwater resources in Haiti are considered abundant, with greater than 2 billion cubic meters per year (2 × 109 m3/yr) of renewable resources and 56 billion cubic meters of reserves."

Water has become the most precious commodity, and who is going to succeed in becoming the world's leading manager of it (think Nestle)?

And folks in the DR shouldn't for a second think that the DR is above all of this. in 1970, the Jamaican dollar was valued more than the US dollar... Around .70c-.80c to one US dollar. That changed in less than five years.

What are the plans of the world economy puppet masters?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Haiti is not a desert environment. Haiti gets a lot of rainfall... To quote an article I came across... "Groundwater resources in Haiti are considered abundant, with greater than 2 billion cubic meters per year (2 × 109 m3/yr) of renewable resources and 56 billion cubic meters of reserves."
MoJoin...dig a little deeper.I thought about your post and dug a little deeper to verify what you said because I was wondering about the" cholera problem" that is rampant in Haiti. (and being brought into the DR). You will find in your search water is available in pockets of the country and even that water is highly containminated. The data is interesting but I don't have the time to post it. BTW...its a dismal affair.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
MoJoin...dig a little deeper.I thought about your post and dug a little deeper to verify what you said because I was wondering about the" cholera problem" that is rampant in Haiti. (and being brought into the DR). You will find in your search water is available in pockets of the country and even that water is highly containminated. The data is interesting but I don't have the time to post it. BTW...its a dismal affair.

I read about what you are referring to... Groundwater is in pockets throughout Haiti, the largest we're told is in the southeast area (Cul-De-Sac)... But it's not "...highly contaminated..." at this point, but may well become highly salinated as the digging of wells (illegal) goes deeper and saltwater begins to encroach.

The article did say that the upper layer of the groundwater in that region does have contamination though. But the same has happened here in the US.
The cholera problem in Haiti is more related to inadequate sanitation and poor access to safe drinking water, not really the groundwater. And yes, it can certainly spread to the DR.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I read about what you are referring to... Groundwater is in pockets throughout Haiti, the largest we're told is in the southeast area (Cul-De-Sac)... But it's not "...highly contaminated..." at this point, but may well become highly salinated as the digging of wells (illegal) goes deeper and saltwater begins to encroach.

The article did say that the upper layer of the groundwater in that region does have contamination though. But the same has happened here in the US.
The cholera problem in Haiti is more related to inadequate sanitation and poor access to safe drinking water, not really the groundwater. And yes, it can certainly spread to the DR.
I was involved in 2 well diggings in okap, both for blan organizations. We drilled down to 100 feet to reduce the risk of contanmination. If memory serves right, most Haitian wells are 20 feet deep, at least in the north.

Reactions: MoJoInDR