Presupuesto para dinero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2004
I live with my girlfriend who is "pure" dominicana. When I say pure, I mean she behaves very dominican in the house which means she cleans, cooks, buys the food, does everything needed in casa.

But as everyone knows here, money can be a problem in a relation between foreigner and dominicana.
I had this kind of problem before and dont want that any more. Then I guess I found a good solution:
I fixed a monthly budget which must include everything. For instance, 1000 us$ per month (for the rent, gasolina, restaurants, food, absolutely all the expenses...)

I give her the money at the beginning of the months and she is responsible for it. If I need to buy something, I tell her and she gives me the money or go and buy it for me. Of course, she must plan the expenses so that there is still some money to finish the month.

And it works perfect. She is very carefull with the money. I guess its because she considers its hers.
I know where I go moneywise speaking. No more money problems and I dont have to take care of it

Maybe you can use this solution tambien
:)

Rep Dom:

Is it just a "good solution" you found....or.....perhaps a good woman......or both.

Hang onto her. Beautiful women are a dime a dozen in the DR, but to find beauty and financial responsibility in the same package there......almost priceless.

And they do exist there....it takes time to find them, but it is time well spent.

Congrats!

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
It's working for the OP, he's sharing his experience and appears to be happy.

He gives her a fixed amount each month and she handles the household expenses.
That's a lot different to 1,000's of posts I have seen here and stories from my 15+ years living in the DR.

Why don't you share your experience and how you would or do handle similar situations "IN" the DR.

Thats my point. I have asked the OP in previous posts in this thread with a disclaimer "...not to be intrusive" but how are you itemizing your budget? For instance, in the New Member thread I asked Derfish is his income is solely $1000 US retiree dollars coupled with his woman's $100 monthly income. And he doesnt have any supplements to this income? So...he says he lives in POP in a 3 br place. The OP hasnt said much in details about his living expenses. Is this a shack on the side of a highway in Luperon? On a tiny 200 square foot house in San Jose de las Matas? Is it a 5 room tin roof place in Mao? 3rd floor apartment in San Francisco? Casa, Apartamento, Residencial, Proyecto Urbano, Villa, Finca? Amenities: Cable or Satellite? Consistency of power/water? Air conditioning? The car? Propane, Diesel or gasoline powered? Entertainment: Movies, dining out or dancing and beer at one of many nightspots, and how frequently do they partake?

I have determined a budget of $1500 for one person with a 4 cylinder gasoline auto in a 3 br in Santiago was modest living. This enables you to have the apartment, internet, cable TV, electricity(with AC), water account, laundry service and movies or dining 4 times a week, Friday, twice on Saturday and Sunday night, in Santiago. These guys say that they are accomplishing the goal on 2/3rd of this. Now they must be flexible with their definition of modest.

Which brings my greatest reservation, Food. What are you guys eating? Where is she shopping? What is she cooking? I shop at places like JUMBO, La Sirena, La Nacional, Plaza Lama supermarkets because that is what I am most familiar with because they are the most US like supermarkets. I, personally, tend not to do colmados or super-colmados(primarily because I think they have poor selection). My food budget is consistently excessive because I dont like eating plantains(green) or guineos or those hard salamis and such. I pretty much buy the same foods I d buy in the US(except peanut butter because it is too expensive). So you know, spaghettis, canned foods and dry cereals and wheat bread and corn on the cob, broccolis and cookies, yogurt, etc. This food budget is about $80 for a week or so.
If I were to go to Moca I could drop all the expenses minus food by about 40%.

The gym membership, which I guess would be a luxury, is about 25 pesos/day at Olympic Gym, two locations, one above that Pare Sufrir church on Las Carreras and another across from Union Medica next to Banco BHD and Plaza Internacional on JP Duarte. But that is just a simple idea of what one dude would do.

Now, if Rep Dom dude says he lives with his girlie in Moncion, Santiago Rodriguez province in a 2br house with a $100 dollar rent I can see how his numbers come into line.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thats my point. I have asked the OP in previous posts in this thread with a disclaimer "...not to be intrusive" but how are you itemizing your budget? For instance, in the New Member thread I asked Derfish is his income is solely $1000 US retiree dollars coupled with his woman's $100 monthly income. And he doesnt have any supplements to this income? So...he says he lives in POP in a 3 br place. The OP hasnt said much in details about his living expenses. Is this a shack on the side of a highway in Luperon? On a tiny 200 square foot house in San Jose de las Matas? Is it a 5 room tin roof place in Mao? 3rd floor apartment in San Francisco? Casa, Apartamento, Residencial, Proyecto Urbano, Villa, Finca? Amenities: Cable or Satellite? Consistency of power/water? Air conditioning? The car? Propane, Diesel or gasoline powered? Entertainment: Movies, dining out or dancing and beer at one of many nightspots, and how frequently do they partake?

I have determined a budget of $1500 for one person with a 4 cylinder gasoline auto in a 3 br in Santiago was modest living. This enables you to have the apartment, internet, cable TV, electricity(with AC), water account, laundry service and movies or dining 4 times a week, Friday, twice on Saturday and Sunday night, in Santiago. These guys say that they are accomplishing the goal on 2/3rd of this. Now they must be flexible with their definition of modest.

Which brings my greatest reservation, Food. What are you guys eating? Where is she shopping? What is she cooking? I shop at places like JUMBO, La Sirena, La Nacional, Plaza Lama supermarkets because that is what I am most familiar with because they are the most US like supermarkets. I, personally, tend not to do colmados or super-colmados(primarily because I think they have poor selection). My food budget is consistently excessive because I dont like eating plantains(green) or guineos or those hard salamis and such. I pretty much buy the same foods I d buy in the US(except peanut butter because it is too expensive). So you know, spaghettis, canned foods and dry cereals and wheat bread and corn on the cob, broccolis and cookies, yogurt, etc. This food budget is about $80 for a week or so.

The gym membership, which I guess would be a luxury, is about 25 pesos/day at Olympic Gym, two locations, one above that Pare Sufrir church on Las Carreras and another across from Union Medica next to Banco BHD and Plaza Internacional on JP Duarte. But that is just a simple idea of what one dude would do.

Now, if Rep Dom dude says he lives with his girlie in Moncion, Santiago Rodriguez province in a 2br house with a $100 dollar rent I can see how his numbers come into line.

Geesh.

He's obviously living like a Dominican, that's not rocket science Commander. Leave your foreigner living style behind for 2 to live on $1000US. MANY Dominicans live on a lot less than that.

I commend the OP for sharing his success story. She sounds like a keeper RepDom.

Jan 9, 2004

I don't believe his post was to tell us he can make it on $1,000.00 a month, but rather his solution to a problem concerning money, budgeting, and Dominicanas.

Some might need double/triple that amount to survive in a comfortable lifestyle, but the amount does not matter if you are dealing with someone who is clueless about money....how its made...and how its spent.

He clearly has a good thing going on and I hope, for his sake, it continues. Money is the single most destructive influence in a relationship.....no matter what country that relationship may take place in.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

measy

May 15, 2014
Good luck OP. I'm not saying the idea is brilliant, but its a good start. Turn the tables..instead of having her come begging for cash, you give her responsibility.

..............but............what if some one comes and offers her $1,001 per month? things that make you go hmmmmm...

Apr 13, 2011
I agree with the OP's "Presupuesto" idea. Obviously, it must be with someone that you are in a committed relationship with. And you have to help with establishing the budget and go over it at times, because mistakes will happen - and additional expenses will happen at times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

man, what the hell? our household is that of 2 adults, 3 fat cats and 2 fat dogs. our food and basics (soap, washing up powder) budget is about 4000 pesos a week plus another 4000 a month on stuff in pricesmart or in SD. so roughly 500 dollars a month. we eat well: i bake my own bread and breakfast will be a nice stuffed sandwich. lunch is meat or fish or pasta or salad, whatever i want to make. and by meat i mean chicken and steaks, just everything in moderation. dinner is a combination of lunch/breakfast type of food, can also be a sandwich, can be leftovers, can be a plate of cheese, veggies and hummus.

what is your obsession with the food? you can eat fairly well on a smaller budget, even, you just need to buy in bulk and know where to shop. all the food i make is fresh, home made from scratch and delicious. no rice and beans in this household (i do not eat rice). and this 500 bucks a month include the keep of our zoo.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well, ohlala is saying $80 us a week which is $340 and DV8 is saying $500 which is certainly more.

and half of $1000 per month budget

but there are lots of folks here who live on lots less than $1000.

and spend lots less than $340 on food.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

If I were to go to Moca I could drop all the expenses minus food by about 40%.

My gym membership is 1000 pesos a month- in a small but nice air-conditioned well equipped gym. I prefer to eat the local fruit , veggies, and chicken. We don't eat salami or eat out unless forced to. My wife actually hates eating in restaurants. I commend the OP for finding a solution that works for them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have no clue what we spend........

but we grow vegetables.......... lettuce, chard, tomatoes, onions--- as much as we can

it is so much that the staff all gets to pick some and then the vecinos...

In that order -- our picking order............. hahahaha!!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My only concern for the OP is that although it is working fine now, three months in, but once she gets used to spending bigger than she has in the past, will it still be enough? She may well be a great woman, but not all here are good at managing a budget. There may be further demands in the future!

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok first, I mentionned 1000 us$ as an exemple. The amount is not the matter here.
I just shared an experience about what seems to work for me. And I'm totally pleased with that situation because I dont hear anything about money and thats paradise in an extranjero-dominicana relationship.

What I noticed is that since she has the money in her hand and she is responsible for it, her behaviour and relation towards money has changed totally. It s only a matter of responsability.

For instance, before, she would say, I need a new cell phone, I found one for 6000 dop, then buy it for me.
Today, she said we need a new cell phone for us, which is quite different. AND she said she found one fer 4000 dop.
Then she asked me what I thought. I said, buy what you like if you think its all right for your budget.
An hour later, she came to me and said she has decided not to buy the cell phone for 4000 and found a cheaper one...

BTW, I live a very confortable life, I have a car, motorcycle. I dont eat salami and yucca everyday... We go to restaurant...

What I'm trying to explain is that most of the time money is a problem for us (foreigners) when it comes into a relation with a dominicana. With my solution, it becomes hers in a way. And she is very happy because that means you trust her...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ok first, I mentionned 1000 us$ as an exemple. The amount is not the matter here.
I just shared an experience about what seems to work for me. And I'm totally pleased with that situation because I dont hear anything about money and thats paradise in an extranjero-dominicana relationship.

What I noticed is that since she has the money in her hand and she is responsible for it, her behaviour and relation towards money has changed totally. It s only a matter of responsability.

For instance, before, she would say, I need a new cell phone, I found one for 6000 dop, then buy it for me.
Today, she said we need a new cell phone for us, which is quite different. AND she said she found one fer 4000 dop.
Then she asked me what I thought. I said, buy what you like if you think its all right for your budget.
An hour later, she came to me and said she has decided not to buy the cell phone for 4000 and found a cheaper one...

BTW, I live a very confortable life, I have a car, motorcycle. I dont eat salami and yucca everyday... We go to restaurant...

What I'm trying to explain is that most of the time money is a problem for us (foreigners) when it comes into a relation with a dominicana. With my solution, it becomes hers in a way. And she is very happy because that means you trust her...

Bingo.... we have a winner !!

That's how it's done....

FWW, my house ran the same way growing up.... my mother got an allowance and balanced her books
Squeezed what she could out of it and was proud of her savings.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Well, its quite simple, the budget must cover all the expenses of the month and she is responsible for that. Absolutely everything (rent, clothes, electricity, food, salon for her, entertainment...) And I dont really care where the money goes as long as we can buy all the things we need for the household and that I can buy things I want to buy. And what is very important is that I exactly know how much money will be spent in the month. If we must buy expensive things, like a car, the amount will be spread on a few months.

And it works. My feeling is: before she would ask me money for different things and she would not really care...
Now I have the feeling that she considers the budget is her own money and she must be carefull to last with it until the last day of the month. I guess its a bit like in a company: it's always better to give poeple responsabilities...

Good for you Dom Rep. It looks like you've found a trustworthy woman.:)

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Now if she works and has a meager income then I can see her using her money for the salon and her clothing expenses. But if she is a stay at home person(with no children) I would NEVER give her money for clothing and the salon. She doesnt need it. Her life goal was to be a house'wife' and she has obtained that with you(or anyone, in general). She performed all those rituals to look good enough to get a man and she got you so....get her a sleeveless housecoat and some slippers that the old women wear.

So you feel that a woman who cooks, cleans, does the household shopping etc. should have no personal money? If her shoes wear out she should be barefoot?

What she is doing has value. If this is a relationship rather than an economic arrangement, she should be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.