Problem with visa

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It actually does exist. Someone here got the extension, and posted the documentation with photos.

So someone wasted a day going to SD and be treated like cattle to get a piece of paper that they really did not need. So that is the "expert" advice being handed out here.

Keep it coming......................

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One option gives you nothing other than an additional line to stand in at the airport. The other option gives you a piece of paper you can pull out to show that you have an official extension if you ever need to do that and eliminates the need to stand in the extra line on departure day.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One option gives you nothing other than an additional line to stand in at the airport. The other option gives you a piece of paper you can pull out to show that you have an official extension if you ever need to do that and eliminates the need to stand in the extra line on departure day.

So does it take longer to go to SD from wherever you are, wait no telling how long to get this piece of paper. Then go back to where you live or wait in line at the airport where you have to be anyway? You tell me ..............

And try to keep it less than 3 paragraphs please.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I went to the immigration office at the malecon yesterday.....since my spanish is limited i took my cabbie with me into the office and he spoke little english and spanish so he was my translator.....i told him about my situation and he spoke to the employee at the office infront of me.....but what the guy translated for me is that i can either pay in airport on my way out or can apply for an extension at the office and they would give me some paper and i can show them while i am exiting the island......since everyone was telling me to pay at airport so i just told them i will pay while i am leaving the island....thanks everyone for replies

P.s : this is what i understood from my cabbie english translation....
Thanks youngdude...much appreciated with your effort!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Can’t see many North coasters willing travel one or two days for paper says paid ...never had more then one or two people in front of me on right lane ... overstayer lane :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Time is irrelevant. One way you are in the country with no legal status, the other way you have official permission to stay longer than 30 days.

People should be presented with both options so they can choose the one that best meets their needs. Let the individual decide for themselves if the logistics and time required to get a formal extension is worth it to them. Neither you nor anyone else should be deciding for others how to spend their time or how best to deal with their need to stay longer than 30 days.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Can’t see many North coasters willing travel one or two days for paper says paid ...never had more then one or two people in front of me on right lane ... overstayer lane :)

This exemplifies the point I am trying to make. Your statement is probably true. There won't be many who are far away from SD who would opt to go and get a tourist card extension. There may be one, or two or three who would choose to do that especially if they wanted to go to SD anyway.

If these few do not know that it is possible to get an extension because the cynics have already decided for them that it isn't worth their time and do not mention that as an option, the one, two or three are now in the country without status because someone else assumed they weren't interested and didn't provide the info for them to make up their own minds. Free choice is actually predicated on having a choice in the first place. No options given, no choice possible.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Youngdude did post , that they said you can pay now or later at airport..

If you are already standing in front of a clerk in SD and the price you will need to pay now or later is the same, why would you not choose to get the piece of paper authorizing you to stay in the country longer than 30 days? Why would you just walk away with nothing? If even one of the rumors about immigration changes comes to pass unexpectedly, that piece of paper will have value over just shrugging your shoulders and turning your palms upwards.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
If you are already standing in front of a clerk in SD and the price you will need to pay now or later is the same, why would you not choose to get the piece of paper authorizing you to stay in the country longer than 30 days? Why would you just walk away with nothing? If even one of the rumors about immigration changes comes to pass unexpectedly, that piece of paper will have value over just shrugging your shoulders and turning your palms upwards.

Probably because it’s not as easy as paying at airport... you need pictures medical etc.. not a simple pay and leave..if immigration head office cared they wouldn’t of gave him 2 options ..rumours are the fun part of living in DR only believe 10% of what you hear and gets twisted pretty fast..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
......since everyone was telling me to pay at airport so i just told them i will pay while i am leaving the island.....

Probably because it’s not as easy as paying at airport... you need pictures medical etc.. not a simple pay and leave..if immigration head office cared they wouldn’t of gave him 2 options ..rumours are the fun part of living in DR only believe 10% of what you hear and gets twisted pretty fast..

No mention from the OP about the need for anything extra, but it's possible that wasn't conveyed to him by his driver. I do not recall the poster who got an extension saying they needed to get a medical but I'm getting older this month so I might be more forgetful.

I find the OP's words pretty telling in that he did what DR1 told him to do. So who is responsible if someone follows the advice on this site and that person winds up in difficulty as a result?

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
was not sure if they were going to make me pay again at the airport.....i dont want the immigration people to tell me this is not the paper and you still need to pay at the counter....but if i land in difficulty it would be totally fault and none to blame for as i made my decision for not to get an official extension of stay card

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
So does it take longer to go to SD from wherever you are, wait no telling how long to get this piece of paper. Then go back to where you live or wait in line at the airport where you have to be anyway? You tell me ..............

And try to keep it less than 3 paragraphs please.

I have done both, when I lived in the capital. Well, I went to the office down on George Washington waited in line and paid. I never did it again because I realized it absolutely took longer especially when you consider I had no other reason for going to that Gov office. I think one time I had 2 people in front of me in the line at the airport in S.D. and every other time either 1 person or no one. In Santiago now they catch you in the line and check, send you to one of the booths and then the regular booth. I think it is actually faster.
For reasons other than being concerned with this issue I might actually have my lawyer get started on the paperwork for my residency.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
was not sure if they were going to make me pay again at the airport.....i dont want the immigration people to tell me this is not the paper and you still need to pay at the counter....but if i land in difficulty it would be totally fault and none to blame for as i made my decision for not to get an official extension of stay card

So waitaminute... everyone is presuming your original stamps were only for 30 days, like US and Canadians. How long is the tourist entry from Trinidad and Tobago supposed to be? And did it change, or was the Migracion agent being lazy?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
So waitaminute... everyone is presuming your original stamps were only for 30 days, like US and Canadians. How long is the tourist entry from Trinidad and Tobago supposed to be? And did it change, or was the Migracion agent being lazy?

As we Dominicans do not need visas to go to T&T maybe they could stay here longer time. Would be good to know

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
As we Dominicans do not need visas to go to T&T maybe they could stay here longer time. Would be good to know

Eversince they did rennovations at the airport last 2 months....they changed the stamp.....usually they put a stamp with no exit date but this new stamp has a blank space below the date of arrival where the officer wrote 30 days

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Eversince they did rennovations at the airport last 2 months....they changed the stamp.....usually they put a stamp with no exit date but this new stamp has a blank space below the date of arrival where the officer wrote 30 days

That doesn't mean he wasn't being lazy and just presumed you had 30 days available. Renovations to the airport shouldn't mean a change to your stay. You might have been put through where gringos usually come through vs visitors from other countries.

Scott18684

Jun 10, 2018
Oh what the heck, let's go another round...

I think we can all agree that for a long time now it has been possible to overstay the 30 day tourist entry stamp/card/visa. History suggests that the immediate risks of doing so are limited to the paying of the fine when you leave.

Announcements have been made by the Govt that it has an interest and at least a small desire in tightening immigration controls. Whether they have done so, will do so or are even capable of doing so remains to be seen. Thus far there have not been enough reports of travelers experiencing immigration problems to warrant an undue amount of consternation.

Further, I think we should be able to agree that with the updating of the immigration computer system at ports of entry (which may or may not be a completed process at any specific airport), the Govt now has the ability to monitor individual travelers and maintain a historical record of their comings and goings. It is safe to say that the Govt is in fact doing this monitoring and has been for some period of time now.

I do not believe anyone can say with absolute certainty that the immigration database will never be used to sanction travelers for overstaying beyond the limits when visiting this country. I do not think anyone can say with any certainty that the immigration practices will never change, or that those changes will not take into account a traveler's accumulated travel history retroactively which is now readily available to immigration officials when they process arriving visitors.

It may be the case that one's actions today could have some effect in the future. We can debate the likelihood of this for a long time I suspect, but no one can say with authority that anyone can safely overstay without at least acknowledging the potential for future consequences.

It is up to the individual to consider their options, and make a decision on how to best proceed in light of their individual circumstances. There is no taking back these database entries if one choose to accumulate several of them. For some, the short term gain today may or may not have an impact on future visits. Just one of the considerations one needs to think about if someone has an interest in continued unencumbered travel to the DR in the years to come. Certainly a consideration that those asking for current knowledge need to hear about so when they plan their trip they have all the info available for consideration.

Has anyone overstayed after the new stamp was on their passport and came back? Why would they change it to this lol....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why does the govt here do anything? There seems to be a willingness to make administrative changes to the tourist immigration process and thus far have demonstrated an equal amount of willingness to not actively and consistently enforce these rules.

I'm not aware of anyone having a problem reentering after overstaying. I am though, dependent on any such report making its way to DR1 or the Dominican media and I am not confident that either will happen in any sort of timely fashion should such a situation arise.