prostitution affects tourism in sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Difference now is , President is one pushing them to make changes..not just local politicians..big difference

The President along with the Attorney General of the DR. Granted that the efficacy of the group charged to do the work is marginal.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
... make it an offense for non-citizens/legal residents to engage in sexual commerce. One or two high profile arrests and viola the "sex tourism destination" moniker evaporates. For some, might make getting residency a more attractive proposition.

This is laughable. Do you have any idea how much confusion this would
cause? I can imagine it now, a tourist minding his own business is approached
by a prostitute in a public place, a cop notices them engaged in a conversation
and... Wa La, the PN now have another way to steal from honest hard working
people / tourists who've decided to vacation here...Absolute genius :cheeky:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Some people just cant think things through all the way .. its not in their DNA..

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Back to the Brothels...

The High-end brothels are not going anywhere. They cost at least $1,000 a night (a few of them cost much more), and they're busy. Yes, they're for the high-rollers, but they're also used by professional sports people. Last year i posted some photos of a couple NFL players who roll in every year off-season. One of those guys comes down every spring and he's not hanging out at Passions. I'm sure he would not even walk in there. How could he? With the threat of photos being taken. He and his friends stay in high-end gated communities where the high-end brothels are located--not even cell phones are allowed outside of the rooms.

There's way, way too much money for it to go away. Some of the people are blowing $2000 to 4000 a night--per person.

That's a lot of money to spend on a "Can-barely-hold-a-conversation Belkis" especially when most of the clients are from out of Country. The first thing they ask, "Do you speak English" they reply "Un Pocito" huh??? No, enserio Senior, "how are you". Obviously there are some exceptions with better English but still not much of an educated conversation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is laughable. Do you have any idea how much confusion this would
cause? I can imagine it now, a tourist minding his own business is approached
by a prostitute in a public place, a cop notices them engaged in a conversation
and... Wa La, the PN now have another way to steal from honest hard working
people / tourists who've decided to vacation here...Absolute genius :cheeky:

People in the US are arrested all the time for soliciting prostitutes. The concept is not laughable at all (once you remove the location of the DR from the equation).

If arresting Johns started to happen, the "problem of prostitution being visible" would disappear. I very much doubt that the government will do this. It has been done only a very few times before in the DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
People in the US are arrested all the time for soliciting prostitutes. The concept is not laughable at all (once you remove the location of the DR from the equation)..

This aint the US (laughing) and we don't need Uncle Sam's way of policing
personal choice around here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This aint the US (laughing) and we don't need Uncle Sam's way of policing
personal choice around here.

Some people cannot deal with the freedoms they get here. They would rather be in a "Police State" like the US.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The situation has nothing to do with the USA other than a large number of tourists from that country come to this country specifically to engage in behaviors that are not condoned where they live.

Either the DR Govt is committed to stamping out sex tourism or it is not (I don't care one way or the other). The operative word in that sentence is tourism. If all "they" want is a public show, then things will pretty much stay the same with perhaps the location changing. If they really intend to end tourists coming to the DR to procure sex, then they will need to make a distinction between tourists and those that live here or I suppose they could invoke some moral high ground and end the legality of prostitution. Prohibition doesn't seem to work but that hasn't ever stopped politicians the world over from attempting to change behavior.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's a lot of money to spend on a "Can-barely-hold-a-conversation Belkis" especially when most of the clients are from out of Country. The first thing they ask, "Do you speak English" they reply "Un Pocito" huh??? No, enserio Senior, "how are you". Obviously there are some exceptions with better English but still not much of an educated conversation.

You obviously have no idea what Frank is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.