Puerto Plata Power plant problem

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
by the police, yes , we just strayed into a bad situation, what started as a peaceful demonstation turned quite ugly , you may remember it was something to do with the barrio people complaining about the flooding.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
by the police, yes

I think we need to make this clear. The picket next Wednesday is designed to be entirely peaceful: no weapons, no throwing stones etc etc. It is simply a statement of citizen discontent at their inability to receive either electricity or any viable explanations from Edenorte. It is NOT a barrio huelga.

If the police turn up and by their behaviour turn it into something else then community leaders will hold them accountable. As will the press.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any reporst back on how the demonstration went at Edenorte

Anyone have any information on how the demonstration went at the Edenorte office in Puerto Plata?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any reporst back on how the demonstration went at Edenorte

Anyone have any information on how the demonstration went at the Edenorte office in Puerto Plata?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any long blackouts in POP and Sosua area?

Edenorte seems to be back to long blackouts again. Edenoorte said the situation should be normalized by tomorrow, the 15th. Is anyone in Puerto Plata or Sosua seeing longer than normal blackouts?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gosh, i wish i could make a post created entirely of small skulls, swords and axes, just like in "asterix and obelix" comic books! :cheeky:
the power has been so bad recently we had to spend additional 20k pesos on more batteries. despite that inversor dies every day anyway because we hardly have any electricity (in POP).
i had a passing idea i should stop paying electricity bills....:ermm:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It has been dreadful here, just outside Sabaneta, and we are lucky to get 8-10 hours power in each 24 hours. Now also out half or all of the night too which didn't happen before.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sorry windeguy, didn't see your earlier question. That demo was peaceful, the next ones might not be:
Puerto Plata Digital

sacandomelao: Mientras poblaci?n pierde paciencia, EDENORTE llama a la calma

El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

And after all the complaints about the Costambar Generadora San Felipe pollution etc, they've pulled it out of service for 3 weeks maintenance!! Nicely timed to coincide with the meters Ministry of Environment was sending up to measure contamination?? Can't be any pollution if it isn't running, right?
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/noticias/nacionales/Agosto2008/apagonescausanprotestageneral.htm

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you all for the responses

I am sorry to hear that isn't just me that sees this issue. That would be easier to fix if it were something simple in just one spot.

It looks like this could get ugly in the near future as the people get completely fed up with the situation.

When was that air quality study supposed to be completed so they can get back to "business as usual"?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So what happened at the big protest? Any reports or pics?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
riots

in my neighborhood we had riots all night (POP, close to the prison). burning tyres and rubbish bins, throwing stones at cars, fights with the police.

sorry, no pics, most of the action was closer to the prison (we are at the other end of the same street). scary.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I was worried that things might escalate to this type of thing. I know that feelings are running pretty high amongst my friends who don't have anything like an invertor or generator and are experiencing loss of power for most of the day and night recently...... I do hope things improve before it gets really nasty.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since the governement is not paying the generators

Reading the DR1 news today and it says the government is not paying the generators enough to purchase fuel despite a token payment being made to them. That along with a large power plant being off line for service for another week should keep things dark around here for a while. Today's news mentioned the blackouts are likely to continue into the holiday season and we are not yet in November.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Next election is not for nearly 4 years. Don't expect much improvement before Leonel is campaigning again. :ermm:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I fear you are correct on the Power/Election issue

Next election is not for nearly 4 years. Don't expect much improvement before Leonel is campaigning again. :ermm:

Sad but it might be true. Why is it that the government/CDEE doesn't pay the power generators on time? Is it all that money needed for the Jeepetas and the METRO?

Secondarily, Why don't the generators who aren't getting paid correctly just go completely off line until they get paid? Perhaps the carnage caused by that would pry the funds loose?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The LONG blackout

If you haven't already had 'the long blackout' on the north coast, expect it. We're just back on power in Bayardo, Puerto Plata after 14.5 hours off. Yesterday Costambar had a 17 hour blackout I was told when visiting there.

The reason given is 'maintenance of the generators in order to............avoid future long term blackouts' :) . Gotta love the logic.

The announcement was made for a 24 hour period without power and the request made for the population to receive this news with calm. Yeah, right ;).
Puerto Plata Digital

Meanwhile nothing about this on the Edenorte website other than a message to wish us all a happy Xmas with better days in our homes and in the world at large
EDENORTE DOMINICANA, LA ENERGIA QUE NOS MUEVE

Ho ho ho. :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was told the blackout will last 12 hours but it was a bit more, like lambada said, about 14hr. all city was out including the street lights, i refused to drive :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I suspect we'll be getting the 24 hours in 2 lots of 14, if you know what I mean ;) . The problems aren't over because it went again, after it had come back. Don't want to depress you but the signs are there that more 'maintenance' :rolleyes: will be occurring either tonight or tomorrow. Or both.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo says the maintenance is because of recent rains.
one good thing that comes out of it is that our neighbours have a small inversor that easily runs out of juice and blessed silence falls after few hours with no power :)