Puerto Plata Versus Santo Domingo (COL etc..)

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Try some of the places like deliciosus in ZC plate of the day basic is $100. lots of places less than 200 but your right rice bean and some chicken. but you can live comfortable for less than 2500us been here for 20 plus years. If you want a big US city life style then yes you can pay out the nose for it. My cable and internet is 16k for 6mo. cell I use prepaid so much less than a plan as I use mainly whatsapp and messenger, very few calls. so can be done for less than 2500us. electricty is way less than 150 I use the air only at night and then only for about 2 hours. hot water tank 2 times a day for 15min keeps the temp just the way I like it. no I don't have and don't want a pool.

This is an excellent post and i can immediately tell this poster lives here. You can go to plaza central and find the plate of the day for around $100-$200 pesos in at least 5 different establishments on the 4th floor. Theyre all in competition which each other to get the dominican worker to spend their lunch fare with them. And you have a huge selection of choices beyond just your typical rice and beans and chicken. You should go check it out. Hell its an excellent cuban place behind the conde that serves excellent meals and its like a $140 pesos. Food is affordable in the DR.

Sep 4, 2012
Some of these folks can't seem to cut ties with life as lived in the west - while living here. Funny part is that most can't really afford the $2,500 USD live they forge for others, go figure.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think all we are demonstrating in this post is that we all have a different view of luxury and what a first-world normal lifestyle is like. I own two companies and a lot of property, so I do accept that I maybe have higher standards than some others, but I still think that we are basically agreeing on the point that if you want to count every penny, get on the local buses, eat in the cheapest of the cheapest restaurants, try not to make cellphone calls and ration yourself to a tiny bit of air conditioning every day, then you'll be fine on US$ 2,500 a month. Is that a first-world lifestyle? I guess that depends on what you're used to. If you want to live somewhere with 24 hour security, reasonable facilities, safer area of the city, eat what you want to eat, including eating out once or twice a week, maybe taking the kids out for a pizza sometimes, shop in decent supermarkets and not penny pinch, then I still maintain you will maybe need more than US$ 2,500 a month in the capital. Not talking about going crazy, just talking about living the life you're used to back home.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
This is an excellent post and i can immediately tell this poster lives here. You can go to plaza central and find the plate of the day for around $100-$200 pesos in at least 5 different establishments on the 4th floor. Theyre all in competition which each other to get the dominican worker to spend their lunch fare with them. And you have a huge selection of choices beyond just your typical rice and beans and chicken. You should go check it out. Hell its an excellent cuban place behind the conde that serves excellent meals and its like a $140 pesos. Food is affordable in the DR.

Agree with these numbers, but these are lunch-time prices (only) without drinks and without tax and without service charge. Anything to drink will be extra, even water. You said that you could eat out for US$ 2 which is RD$ 100 and I have not seen anywhere selling a Plato del Dia for that price. RD$ 200 is normal, which is $4, double the figure you quoted. And if we're talking dinner, then you're looking at about RD$ 400 per plate in a restaurant, plus drinks, plus tax and service charge. So a plate of food (RD$ 400), a beer (RD$ 125) and then ta and service brings it up to just under RD$ 700 which is US$ 14. Which is 14 times more expensive than you quoted.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... if you want to count every penny, get on the local buses, eat in the cheapest of the cheapest restaurants, try not to make cellphone calls and ration yourself to a tiny bit of air conditioning every day, then you'll be fine on US$ 2,500 a month.

"Want" is the operative word. Salt air, palm trees and a beach are nice but do very little to make your day to day life agreeable. Value for your money is inherited from where we come from as are the basics of the lifestyle we have become accustom to.

I accept that I am a consumer, and I choose to run my A/C whenever it is too hot or too humid. I despise having to wipe mold off things and have my clothes covered in mildew. I also don't like choosing to feel uncomfortable. The electricity is a product and I purchase as much as I want. I'm not into "if I run the a/c, I can't eat lunch tomorrow, or my imported steak will cost me a week's worth of gasoline."

Reality is a $itch. I don't drive a Porsche so I should be able to leave the TV on all day, surf the net at speeds that get me a gig of data in 5 or 6 minutes as opposed to 30 minutes or more at a cost far inexcess of comparable internet speeds at home. I want these and other things. I couldn't have them all in SD for $2500/month. I don't want neighbors on all sides of me banging things, dragging chairs around at 2 am or yelling about who is sleeping with whom. I do not want to swim in a pool that other people urinate in because the bathroom is too far away, or lie on a sweaty exercise bench last used by someone with Hep B.

Yep, it is all about what you want and how much money you have to procure it. Apart from those who have so much cash that they never have to compromise, the rest of us make practical concessions. For me, I gladly run my a/c and choose not to own a $60K jeepeta, as I'd never drive 2001 Sidekick that cost me $5K. Every time I looked at that, I'd get depressed.

As already stated many times, and rebutted repeatedly by a few who just don't get that what they want or feel is acceptable is not necessarily what someone else wants or thinks they want/need/find acceptable. One persistent voice in this conversation has already disclosed that they spend $4000/month and I am left wondering why they want to spend 35% more than they have to, to achieve according to them, a perfectly acceptable north american middle class lifestyle in Santo Domingo.

Yes you can live in Santo Domingo for $2500/month. You can probably live there for $1700/month. The question remains, would you want to?

These discussions become useless when personal bias enters into the fact telling. The OP needs to know that yes there are $600 apartment options. They need to know that these include (whatever they include) and are located in specific sectors within the city. The Op then needs to hop on a plane and come see for themselves if the $600/month apartment is acceptable or do they need to spend more or look elsewhere for something more agreeable. These threads need not always become a rehash of individual preferences that have no usefulness to someone else. I suppose it's a continuation of the internet mannerism - Take a stand and defend it at all costs until people get bored and the last word posted prevails.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..................If you want to live somewhere with 24 hour security, reasonable facilities, safer area of the city, eat what you want to eat, including eating out once or twice a week, maybe taking the kids out for a pizza sometimes, shop in decent supermarkets and not penny pinch, then I still maintain you will maybe need more than US$ 2,500 a month in the capital. Not talking about going crazy, just talking about living the life you're used to back home.

That pretty much sums up my way of thinking. I have always said if it got to the point I had to eat plato del dias everyday, didn't have A/C and 24/7 electric I would just pack it in and go back to where i came from. If I don't have what i consider basics then that is NOT "Living the Dream" or "Paradise". That is just survival.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I think all we are demonstrating in this post is that we all have a different view of luxury and what a first-world normal lifestyle is like. I own two companies and a lot of property, so I do accept that I maybe have higher standards than some others, but I still think that we are basically agreeing on the point that if you want to count every penny, get on the local buses, eat in the cheapest of the cheapest restaurants, try not to make cellphone calls and ration yourself to a tiny bit of air conditioning every day, then you'll be fine on US$ 2,500 a month. Is that a first-world lifestyle? I guess that depends on what you're used to. If you want to live somewhere with 24 hour security, reasonable facilities, safer area of the city, eat what you want to eat, including eating out once or twice a week, maybe taking the kids out for a pizza sometimes, shop in decent supermarkets and not penny pinch, then I still maintain you will maybe need more than US$ 2,500 a month in the capital. Not talking about going crazy, just talking about living the life you're used to back home.
Why do you keeping mentioning the word luxury? That isn't what this thread is about. The OP stated he wanted a middle class lifestyle. And again stop the generalizations nobody is penny-pinching here on $2,500 a month. I can go to my friend's house today in film his apartment if y'all want me to. It has all those amenities you listed and it's only $600 a month.

To the moderator . As far as why I'm spending 35% more than the 2500. I explained that already. I party and I party hard. I also clearly explained that with just living expenses alone, living in a luxury apartment in a wealthy neighborhood, I dont spend anywhere near 2500. If I cut out the discotecas and stopped buying bottles I would easily live under 2500 a month. But we all have our vices. With that said, comprehension is a must, I never said I lived a middle class lifestyle. But I'm grounded and I understand that it can easily be done here

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
PP is the Bu** hole of RD .... infested with S^^^ ........ and haitians with no clothles

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
PP is the Bu** hole of RD .... infested with S^^^ ........ and haitians with no clothles
I have lived in both PP and Sosua and though I would not say it was infested with crap and naked Haitians,neither of which is true,I hated living in Puerto Plata and love living in Sosua.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I rather live in Venezuelan right now than in PP Tommy boy
Puerto Plata isn't THAT bad c'mon now. I lived in Codatel and it was quiet and safe during the day and quiet at night no motos racing up and down the streets at all but there are very few places in Puerto Plata that you can walk at night if you are a gringo. I can walk anywhere that I want to in Sosua at night quite safely. And FYI my name is Tom and I am far from being a boy,don't call me Tommy boy.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Lol, and it is different for everybody, I love living in POP, and for me Sosua (together with Boca Chica) are the last places I would ever want to live in the Dominican Republic.
But everybody likes something different

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I lived in Puerto Plata (Maimon) for 6 years and loved it.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Take Uber to Agora, get a salad at Green Bowl, do a little bit of grocery shopping at Jumbo and take an Uber back to your place and see how much of that $50 you got left.
I'm with alexw on this.

You wouldn't be able to do all of those things together with just $50 in a first world country, much less here in NJ where I live, so the fact that you can do all of those things with just $50 should tell you how much you can stretch American dollars in SD. $2,500 is more than enough money for a single person to have a very comfortable, decent, first-world quality life in SD.

I'm struggling to understand why a single person in SD can't live extremely well, first-world life in SD with an income of $2,500 USD as some of you here seem to imply.

Sep 4, 2012
I'm with alexw on this.

You wouldn't be able to do all of those things together with just $50 in a first world country, much less here in NJ where I live, so the fact that you can do all of those things with just $50 should tell you how much you can stretch American dollars in SD. $2,500 is more than enough money for a single person to have a very comfortable, decent, first-world quality life in SD.

I'm struggling to understand why a single person in SD can't live extremely well, first-world life in SD with an income of $2,500 USD as some of you here seem to imply.

Because they are so disconnected that is actually concerning - that's all. Some of the same folks didn't make 2500 in the USA. Man, that SS makes wonders for some folks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

I wouldn't say extremely well but you can live a happy first-world life. Let's say $750 rent, $150 cable HD, electric, cell. You at $900. Now $50 a day spending money is $1500 a month. Brings you to $2400. Sure some days you won't spend $50 but if you go out to a nice restaurant once a week you have used up the entire $50 for the day. Want to check out a show the next week at Hard Rock between tickets, dinner and drinks you have used up two days of your $50. So to me $2500 a month is the starting point. Even at that number it doesn't leave much spare change if you want to do a weekend in Jarabacoa.

As far as those whose misfortune is to only have a SS check coming in at retirement you won't find them living in SD Centro in a gated torre in one of the better sectors.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I wouldn't say extremely well but you can live a happy first-world life. Let's say $750 rent, $150 cable HD, electric, cell. You at $900. Now $50 a day spending money is $1500 a month. Brings you to $2400. Sure some days you won't spend $50 but if you go out to a nice restaurant once a week you have used up the entire $50 for the day. Want to check out a show the next week at Hard Rock between tickets, dinner and drinks you have used up two days of your $50. So to me $2500 a month is the starting point. Even at that number it doesn't leave much spare change if you want to do a weekend in Jarabacoa.

As far as those whose misfortune is to only have a SS check coming in at retirement you won't find them living in SD Centro in a gated torre in one of the better sectors.

$50 a day is $350 a week. I don't know what Santo Domingo you live in, but the one that I do, you can do anything with that type of money. Most restaurants aren't that expensive, the movie theaters are dirt cheap, concert tickets aren't that expensive here and mega concerts dont happen that often; besides nobody goes out every single day so you're accumulating money to do the things you want to do when you decide to do it. You've totally lost touch with reality BB.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I know three expats living in gascue living off of their social security. Btw they have security, ac, a generator, buzz-in intercom system, etc. I don't know why BB is trying to scare people off here but it's completely ridiculous

By chance are they the ones I see sitting at Romas everyday nursing a bottle of water because there are no funds leftover to do anything else? No health insurance, no cash leftover to make several visits a year to their native country, etc.......... I am not saying you can't live for less than $2500 but if you want to live a nice comfortable life with entertainment money and insurance plus cash if you need to buy a computer or large purchase that SS check only ain't gonna cut it.