Purpose of Blood Test in REsidency Procedure

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't know anyone who didn't pass the medical components, but I do know someone who had a relatively minor criminal conviction that put a stop to his residency visa application back home.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I flunked the medical ( bubonic plague ) . Still got residency, and only downside was another - cheap- hoop to jump through....but at that stage you aint counting the hoops anymore.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is the purpose of the blood test in the residency procedure. It is a very invasive process and we have been asked by several "what are they testing for ?" Can anyone answer that ?

In POP they have been waiving the medical for a number of applicants but SD seem to be worse than ever .

We have put this in living since it doesn't appear to fit in Legal and Visa but mods feel free to move I!

Olly and the Team

I understand it's for drugs and STD's. The chest xray is for tuberculosis.

It is indeed for drug testing and STD's, especially HIV since you have to sign a disclosure for the HIV blood test and the X-Ray for TB.

The POP office is totally clueless and useless for what you really need. I have been misled and misdirected by the POP office and will no longer deal with them.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I agree - the repatriacion insurance is the worst and biggest rip-off of all. You pay $115 premium for whatt hey estimate i costs an average of $3000 USD to deports someone. For the same premium I get $20,000 in liability insurance on my car - and there are a lot more car accidents here than residents getting deported!

To add insult to injury, you have to pay this premium every year - even though you can only get deported once! It's a giant cash cow for the 3 insurance companies "approved" to issue this insurance and whomever in DGM dreamed up this scam.

I only paid once right after it became an option (instead of proving solvency).
I didn't have to renew it for my last temporary and didn't get asked for it for my permanent first time or the renewal this year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would they not issue a resident card if you fail any of the medical tests and then just allow you to live here and pay the exit fee?

That is the 64,000 peso question.

Has anyone ever heard of someone failing the medical exam and what happened after that?

I see that the question has been partly answered. A failed drug test seems to be a reason for concern. Other than HIV or TB, probably not much else to worry about, but we will never actually know for certain.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
X-Ray & Blood Test

I renewed in 2018.... initial residency was 2008
They did both on me last April.

As has been said before -
Permanent residency is a misnomer

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I only paid once right after it became an option (instead of proving solvency).
I didn't have to renew it for my last temporary and didn't get asked for it for my permanent first time or the renewal this year.

I don't know if it's required for a permanent residency renewal, but when I renewed my temporary in April, the insurance was one of the required items on the DGM website that had to be uploaded for approval. It was also required that I submit the original at DGM when I renewed and was on the "checklist" of required items that I had to sign.

mardonius

Sep 13, 2008
I agree - the repatriacion insurance is the worst and biggest rip-off of all. You pay $115 premium for whatt hey estimate i costs an average of $3000 USD to deports someone. For the same premium I get $20,000 in liability insurance on my car - and there are a lot more car accidents here than residents getting deported!

To add insult to injury, you have to pay this premium every year - even though you can only get deported once! It's a giant cash cow for the 3 insurance companies "approved" to issue this insurance and whomever in DGM dreamed up this scam.

Well I just got my initial temporary residency last month ,but in the process I paid twice for this insurance. When I went through the Consulate in Miami they said I had to have this insurance to procede so okay I paid about 130 which is good for a year . Well when I came to Santo Domingo for the second part of the process I was told that I had to purchase insurance to this i said I have already purchased it and here are the documents. Well they replied that I had to buy insurance from here from a different company so i have two insurance for residency. I still have no good explanation on why this came about.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well I just got my initial temporary residency last month ,but in the process I paid twice for this insurance. When I went through the Consulate in Miami they said I had to have this insurance to procede so okay I paid about 130 which is good for a year . Well when I came to Santo Domingo for the second part of the process I was told that I had to purchase insurance to this i said I have already purchased it and here are the documents. Well they replied that I had to buy insurance from here from a different company so i have two insurance for residency. I still have no good explanation on why this came about.

That's because only the three "special" insurance companies here in the DR are working with DGM!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
"Strangely" if you have the Investor Residency, you don't need the medical or the repatriation insurance. You just need to prove that you have a foreign income of US$2000 either from property rental or pension income, and that you're bringing this into the country.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
"Strangely" if you have the Investor Residency, you don't need the medical or the repatriation insurance. You just need to prove that you have a foreign income of US$2000 either from property rental or pension income, and that you're bringing this into the country.

I'm pretty sure you still have to have the medical tests!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As an investor class resident, I did not need the medical but was informed that I would need to secure repatriation insurance this time around. Next time, who knows.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Got me thinking about what happens to people who come from places where cannabis is legal. Some states in the US, and soon to become Canada. From what I can recall, cannabis stays in your system for quite some time and could show up on a doping test.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It certainly can. Occasional use is metabolized and expelled rather quickly. With chronic use the metabolites are stored in fat cells. The more of those you have, the longer it takes to get expelled. If you are applying for something that requires a drug test chunky people and those who smoke often will need to plan several months in advance to be sure.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Last time I renewed. all was online, and no medical or insurance this was sept 2017, four year extension. have had residency since 1996

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It certainly can. Occasional use is metabolized and expelled rather quickly. With chronic use the metabolites are stored in fat cells. The more of those you have, the longer it takes to get expelled. If you are applying for something that requires a drug test chunky people and those who smoke often will need to plan several months in advance to be sure.

Drink cranberry juice until you practically puke.....

All the potheads know that trick

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Got me thinking about what happens to people who come from places where cannabis is legal. Some states in the US, and soon to become Canada. From what I can recall, cannabis stays in your system for quite some time and could show up on a doping test.

What happens is....... nothing.
You still get your residency card along with a reminder that laws regarding weed are diffrent than those of your home country.
They ask you to provide a "clean" urine test as soon as you can, said test can be done by any lab of your choosing for 500 pesos.
And thats that.
Nothing in your "record" . When you hand them your 2nd urine test they think its for meds abuse ( tells you the sad state of residency demanders in the dr......lol ).

mardonius

Sep 13, 2008
That's because only the three "special" insurance companies here in the DR are working with DGM!

Is GMI one of those 3 because that is the company that the Miami Consulate had me purchased this insurance from ?