Purpose of Blood Test in REsidency Procedure

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It doesn't say this on the DGM website. No mention of repatriation insurance for renewals as far as I can see, but this is mentioned as a requirement for new investor visas.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/40

It is required for Temporary Residency renewals. Apparently not for some other types of residencies(?):

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/30

In order to make a definitive statement as to what is required for residencies and renewals, it is necessary to state what type of residency one is talking about.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Is GMI one of those 3 because that is the company that the Miami Consulate had me purchased this insurance from ?

I never heard of that one before but one that was used in the past(La Comercial de Seguros) is no longer an "approved" insurer.
Not sure what compamy replaced them.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
What happens is....... nothing.
You still get your residency card along with a reminder that laws regarding weed are diffrent than those of your home country.
They ask you to provide a "clean" urine test as soon as you can, said test can be done by any lab of your choosing for 500 pesos.
And thats that.
Nothing in your "record" . When you hand them your 2nd urine test they think its for meds abuse ( tells you the sad state of residency demanders in the dr......lol ).

hi, do you speak from expercience, from a friend or what is your source ?
i highly doubt they are going to accept "any lab of your choice"

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe they've changed their attitude regarding marijuana, but I know one guy that applied for residency here several years ago and they were going to deport him because he tested positive for marijuana.

As far as I know, the medical exam and urine tests can only be done at one of two or three labs specified by DGM.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe they've changed their attitude regarding marijuana, but I know one guy that applied for residency here several years ago and they were going to deport him because he tested positive for marijuana.

As far as I know, the medical exam and urine tests can only be done at one of two or three labs specified by DGM.

I understand that your information is correct. There are a couple of labs authorized to do work for DGM's medical tests.

I was just told by the POP office that because of the error they had created in their system due to incompetency that I would just need to submit documents and pay a fee for a new residency card. They were wrong. I also had to do a medical exam and wait 15 days and then take another trip to Santo Domingo to enter the paperwork and pay the fees. I know for a fact that only certain labs are authorized for their testing.

I would be surprised if those that use marijuana were not rejected if that was discovered in the anti-doping tests.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
so bloodtest is for hiv, etc helth related

the pee test is usually the drugtest, is that right ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that the results of the medical tests required for initial residency have to be "clean" for the application process to move forward encumbered. There may well be a review/appeal process in place but I would not wish to get in that line.

If you are applying for residency in just about any country, you should be presenting your best profile throughout the process. It's probably not very responsible to party a couple of days before your drug test. Heck, you have to disclose opiate prescriptions at the time of the test so you can pretty much believe they mean business.

Wanna smoke hassle free weed, move to Canada... The DR is still firmly planted in the "Reefer Madness" era (thanks to the USA).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are currently almost 290,000 in the PNRE that will soon be given residency - most temporary residency that will have to be buying repatriation insurance.

Add to that current temporary residents. Use 300,000 for round numbers and multiply by $100 USD/yr and you get $30 million dollars annually in premiums.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many legal residents are deported every year at $3000 ea.?

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

This was , maybe 5 years ago.

The initial urine and co tests are done at a specified ( by DGM) lab.
The follow up test - that in the end I neednt have done mind you - was done at my local campo lab, which I highly doubt is vetted by the DGM or vetted by anything at all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
3 labs as I recall

One is directly across from the DGM offices.
I was lucky enough to draw that one for my anxiety ridden wife who really wanted no part of any renewal

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
too many loops to jump threw .... I know a person been here for 30 yrs never illegal laughs at me when I tell him the process tells me I'm a fool ....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The whole residency procedure is insulting. The bloodtest, tbc and the worst of all is the seguro de repatriacion. Then the amounts you have to pay. The last time 28.000 pesos. Then, when I counted on the 14.000 I said I would like to pay with CC the pendeja said if I didn't have 28. I had to ask her how much she had in her pocket at the moment. Well it was just for her pica-pollo.
Then thinking how many dominican cocaïne vendors and putas we maintain in northern Europe without asking. I know..our fault .

Not just that - but the regulations change with - well - regularity. When I lived there (2002-2014) I started the process three times, only to have to restart as the rules changed. Note that the blood tests expire along the way and have to be redone. There were ongoing sorta threats about what would happen to gringos who did not have papers Jada Jada - although friends and those in the Casa de Cambio, my landlord, etc,, all said - oh no - no worries. But there was always the chance that would not let me back in after a trip back to the State.

However - even WITH the residency papers, they can bar you from entry if they want to.. All foreigners are there at the pleasure of the President. Only actual citizenship will guarantee your place, I believe. This is a nation that changes its constitution from Thursday to Tuesday,

In the end, I decided that I really did not want to stay.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
The concept of PN using DNA to investigate an identity is ludicrous. In order to do such investiagtion, they would be required to collect samples in clean containers, control access to a crime scene, and maintain a chain-of-custody record. They can't even take FINGERPRINTS! They don't even have a ballpoint pen that works most of the time. DNA analysis - ROFL!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The rules of evidence that you allude to are a reflection of how things are done back home. It is not a safe assumption to make that the same requirements are in place here. I agree with you though, with no working pens, no latex gloves, no sterile sample containers, no refrigerators to preserve the sample, yeah, the only possible result from any testing would be "nonviable sample" or possibly "contaminated sample" containing 2 or more DNA sequences.

As an aside, they are pretty good at taking finger prints these days thanks to the electronic scanners - they never could get the ink roll and press technique to work as well.