Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo: Next President of Dominican Republic?

Should Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo be allowed to run for the presidency in 2020?

• Yes, he's a Dominican and isn't responsible for the things his grandfather did.

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • Yes, but I'm not too comfortable having him as president.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No, he's a Trujillo. 'Nuff said!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Whatever... I'm indifferent.

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No dynasty needed. No more Clintons, Bushes, or Trujillos. Politics should not be a family business.

Sep 20, 2003
No dynasty needed. No more Clintons, Bushes, or Trujillos. Politics should not be a family business.

Unless people want to vote for them. Why should someone be disqualified from running for office simply because a family member has been involved in politics? As long as it's a clean election, what does it matter?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
That would clearly disaulify Trujillo from running if he did not renounce other citizenship at least 10 years ago and also not live in the DR for at least 10 years.

Of course, they do change the constitution when convenient. Is it convenient to allow Trujillo to run?

On that basis, he'll never be able to run. Why would the sitting politicians change the rules to allow a real competitor in?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why an American thinks he has a right to govern Dominicans is what is truly ridiculous, never-mind his last name and family heritage.

Because the Dominican constitution says that the son or daughter of any Dominican is Dominican, regardless where they are born.

The constitution also says that only Dominicans by birth and Dominicans by origin (the one that applies to Domínguez Trujillo) can be president. Only naturalized Dominicans can’t become president of the DR. Sons/daughters of Dominicans born abroad don’t need to naturalize because they are born with Dominican nationality by origin. They can go to any Dominican consulate and with the birth certificate of one of his parents, his own, and money for the fees receives his cédula and passport with no restrictions whatsoever. Those born abroad need to renounce the citizenship of birth before running for presidency.

US law also states that any US citizen that works for any foreign government, by the mere act automatically renounces US citizenship.

The big question is not whether Domínguez Trujillo is Dominican, because that’s as clear as water; but rather if he gave up US citizenship within the time period that Dominican law states. 

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That would clearly disaulify Trujillo from running if he did not renounce other citizenship at least 10 years ago and also not live in the DR for at least 10 years.

Of course, they do change the constitution when convenient. Is it convenient to allow Trujillo to run?

The constitution can be changed, but it can’t be retroactive. Any changes would apply to Dominicans of origin born at or after the date the revised or new constitution is in effect.

Unlike the scandal that arouse with the Haitians born to illegal immigrants (they were always included in the definition of ‘in transit’), there’s no terminology in the Dominican constitution that has ever been interpreted by the Supreme Court as implying that Dominicans by origin can’t become president of the DR. The constitution also says nothing about descendants of Trujillo not being able to become president of the country. 

Changing the constitution could stall for a while his aspirations, but its bound to be doomed by the inconstitutionality of imposing a retroactive limitation of rights. The only thing that can be done retroactively is give new rights to citizens, not to take them away.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
True, but wasn’t there a law passed that removed his name from everywhere and prohibited praising him, etc?  We bought a CD on the beach a couple of years ago, Trujillo ‘s favorite songs/songs written about him or some such thing.  We were told it’s actually illegal to own it or play it.  
I've heard a CD called Los Merengues Del Jefe with one of the most recognized merengues of his era, "Salve San Cristobal". if one looks carefully around the Colonial Zone, metal covers on the sidewalk with Ciudad Trujillo on them can still be found.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've heard a CD called Los Merengues Del Jefe with one of the most recognized merengues of his era, "Salve San Cristobal". if one looks carefully around the Colonial Zone, metal covers on the sidewalk with Ciudad Trujillo on them can still be found.

I don’t remember the name of the CD, it’s in DR and we’re in NJ right now, but I know one of the songs on it is called Playa Najayo (where he had a home, and where we live), and several of the others praise him.  

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Ok, so that means absolutely nothing. Just say it is your "opinion".

No, it actually answered your question. It is not my opinion, but rather, reality. Just because you do not happen to agree with the answer, is no reason to get uppity. Your question was answered properly. Have a good evening.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I say let the guy have a go at it. When his grandfather was in power
people who lived in this country could sleep with their doors unlocked
at night. How nice would that be?

My wife agrees and is all for him being allowed to run. She says bring back law and order that is sadly lacking here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since the low class masses decide the vote in DR and are bought with food and bonogas I don’t expect him to have any chance against the same old characters. Too bad for DR but they’ll be stuck with Danilo if he manages to change the constitution once again or Leonel if that doesn’t work out.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
No, it actually answered your question. It is not my opinion, but rather, reality. Just because you do not happen to agree with the answer, is no reason to get uppity. Your question was answered properly. Have a good evening.

You using your imaginary sources with absolutely no support does not constitute reality. Show some analytical support and THEN it is more than your opinion. It doesn't matter to me. I found your original comment interesting but I don't believe what everyone writes here on DR1 just because they write it here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
AIDA TRUJILLO RICART, HIS COUSIN, SAYS DESCENDANTS SHOULD APOLOGIZE

Aida Trujillo Ricart, who lived in Juan Dolio until recently, is Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo’s cousin (she doesn’t know him personally). She said that instead of expressing intentions of becoming president, direct descendants of Trujillo should apologize to the Dominican people for what their grandfather did. According to her, Ramfis Martínez Trujillo seem immature and doesn’t accept the damage their grandfather did. She also mentioned her older brother that lives in Constanza the way descendants of Trujillo should live, that is low key and without getting involved in politics. 

El Nacional - Parientes Trujillo deberían pedir perdón al pueblo

She currently lives in Madrid, Spain. When she lived in Juan Dolio, she published her bestselling (not a surprise since any book about Trujillo becomes a bestseller in the DR, its the only genre with that peculiarity) A la sombra de mi abuelo and El otro Ramfis Trujillo.

In the video is an interview she did in 2014 on ZolFM about El otro Ramfis Trujillo, although she's also asked a few personal questions and about her previous book A la sombra de mi abuelo. Her Spanish accent is due to having lived for many years in Spain, then moved to the DR for many years, and recently went back to Spain.  

[video=youtube;quytyQAC_tA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quytyQAC_tA[/video]

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
You using your imaginary sources with absolutely no support does not constitute reality. Show some analytical support and THEN it is more than your opinion. It doesn't matter to me. I found your original comment interesting but I don't believe what everyone writes here on DR1 just because they write it here.

It is with deep regret that I read your responses, as I truly can not comprehend why you prefer to take such a negative, and quite honestly, insulting approach to my statements. This is an internet forum where people can exchange ideas, and thereby engage in polite conversation. I can assure you there is not much, if anything, within my life that can be construed as "imaginary". If it is analytical support you are seeking, would it help pass your sniff test if I said at a meeting of Santa's reindeer last night, it was voted upon that Rudolph would once again pull Santa's sleigh this year? I heard the vote was unanimous, but due to time constraints the vote to support Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo's bid for high office was pushed back until January 2018. Please, stop the foolery, enjoy the season, and don't be so paranoid and argumentative. The whole world is not trying to mislead you.