Read this Book! It's a must for Newbies!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks drloca I'll keep that in mind--- hmmm too bad I didn't know about it sooner--- I was just in Canada :(

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am just over half way through Ginnie''s book and enjoying and relating to every page as I go. Having been here just over a year I assume I still am a "newbie" and although Ginnie says in a number of places that their experiences early on took place 14 years ago, we have had MANY similar experiences in 2006/ 7 and everytime I have come across a part where I can say "yes, it was exactly like that" it makes me laugh!! I especially love the story about Salsa destroying the fly/ mosquito screen on the door as my beautiful fluffy Dominican puppy, Annie, seems to have a fetish for foam and has systematically destroyed our cushions on the terrace furniture!! I am looking forward to reading the remainder of the book and know I will feel a bit despondent when I get to the end - hope there will be a sequel.......

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hmmm I was just trying to think who might play Ginnie and Grahame when the movie rights are sold? Any Idea's?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Then sure you are much more qualified to supply the relevant number than I am........... so over to you Rocky
I barely know how to read, let alone know the answer to your question, but I do know how to type a question into Google, and that's where that link came from.
The last time I read a book from cover to cover was in another century.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I just ordered from amazon.ca also, good read for the plane on my way down there!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I barely know how to read, let alone know the answer to your question, but I do know how to type a question into Google, and that's where that link came from.
The last time I read a book from cover to cover was in another century.

Ha, ha and I thought you were all knowing - and well read..... to be honest this is the first book I have read in many a long day too.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ha, ha and I thought you were all knowing - and well read.....
You're thinking of my momma.
When she doesn't have the answer to what I want to know, then I settle for Google.
BTW: Speaking of that book, there was a woman here yesterday who happens to be an author, telling me about a book she was writing, and I mentioned Lambada's book to her, and to cut the story short, she was back in this morning said that she had already finished half the book and just couldn't put it down.
Looks like Lambada's got a big hit on her hands.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You're thinking of my momma.
When she doesn't have the answer to what I want to know, then I settle for Google.
BTW: Speaking of that book, there was a woman here yesterday who happens to be an author, telling me about a book she was writing, and I mentioned Lambada's book to her, and to cut the story short, she was back in this morning said that she had already finished half the book and just couldn't put it down.
Looks like Lambada's got a big hit on her hands.

It's just so "how it is" lol

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Lambada's book

FYI:For those in the US you can still order the book on Amazon.uk. I ordered my copy yesterday,can't wait to read it . Ginnie's comments are always measured with the wisdom of experience.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I also have read the first chapter and can't wait to get the book. I checked at the bookstores and the library and I have not been able to find it. I have this thing about ordering on line so I would rather get it from a store if I can. Anyone know where I can find it in Toronto?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Further info and contact details can also be obtained at Ginnie's website.(Ginnie Bedggood - book author, writer, expat Dominican Republic).

As has already been mentioned, Ginnie also posts on this site as 'Lambada' so if all else fails, I'm sure a private message won't go amiss.

Be sure to check out Ginnie's website. There is a lot more than just news about the book. She truly loves the DR and it's people, and her website is a reflection of that feeling. Great information concerning Dominican culture and news, and a good place for "expat wannabes" to start.

Congratulations Ginnie, meeting you and Grahame a couple of years ago convinced me of your sincerety regarding your expat philosophy and love of the DR.

I can't wait to read the book.

Bob H.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
"For the American or Canadian reader, there are a couple of spots where you'll say: "Humm, I wonder what that means"?

I found myself saying that a few times! I finished the book last night and found it to be very informative and masterfully written. Congrats Ginnie on such a great job! Now my wife, sister and brother in-law, and daughter are lined up waiting to read it. Joanne and I are looking forward to seeing you and Grahame in Sept and getting our books signed by a soon to be world renowned author.
John

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I completed reading Ginnie's book last evening and this is the message I sent her "just finished the last few pages of your book this evening and what a delight!! Made me laugh, cry and relate to so many things". I would highly recommend it to everyone and have already sent messages to friend back in the UK with a note of where they can obtain their copy. In my opinion, Ginnie tells her story just as it is now or 15 years ago....

Am intrigued to know which parts the US or Canadian reader wonders about - can you enlighten us please?