Relocating advice needed

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I second LTSteve that Las Terrenas does hit a lot of your criteria. I moved here last year and originally was looking at Las Galeras. Decided to use Las Terrenas as a temporary base to explore from and have never left. If you live in town, everything is walkable. If you live outside of town, then some form of transport (quad bikes seem to be the main form for many expats) is good to get you into town. Good variety of shopping available both food and hardware for the house etc.
All in all, IMHO it gives me access to what I didn't want to loose, while being in stunning scenery with beautiful beaches and generally nice locals.
Roy

You need to post a LOT more as you probably have a wealth of Knowledge on this.
... Las Galeras or LT are also 2 places I am seriously considering for a Retirement relaxation home ( 6 months there , 6 back in states) , and building a house, with a VIEW which is an absolutely must. Las Galeras seems more well suited although I have not explored the hills of LT yet..
Lots more Homework is definitely needed..

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
... Las Galeras or LT are also 2 places I am seriously considering for a Retirement relaxation home ( 6 months there , 6 back in states) , and building a house, with a VIEW which is an absolutely must. Las Galeras seems more well suited although I have not explored the hills of LT yet..

Hey, something we agree on, lol.

It would be interesting if we one day were neighbors....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
not sure exactly why but most gringos i know in the capital feel that Las Terrenas is boring, I felt the same. Now that may be a good thing depends. Its also more expensive than most these other areas mentioned

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
not sure exactly why but most gringos i know in the capital feel that Las Terrenas is boring, I felt the same. Now that may be a good thing depends. Its also more expensive than most these other areas mentioned

I do not know La Terrenas but I have never understood people that live in big busy cities where it takes hours just to get to the store and back can find that somehow more exciting. I say live in a nice quite place then travel for whatever excitement you need. :)

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I found LT a bit small and crowded with much traffic and limited infrastructure....
On the bright side beautiful beaches and great seafood (although a bit pricey).
I do not plan on returning any time soon. LT seemed to lack a distinct personality or charm (for me) and I am usually easy to please.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you really have a lot of options.

RD has about 9-10M people

Sto Dom has about 4-5M
Santiago has about 1M
The POP/Sos/Cab area must be 1M more

That leaves quite a bit of open space.

A smaller town near one of those larger areas might fit the bill.

Best of both worlds..............

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Hi to everyone.
We are a couple that want to relocate in DR in the near future and we would like to know your suggestions about the location.
Our basic needs are: 1- market and stores nearby (to buy food etc if possible also international products without using car to reach them) 2- must be a town not too small but not too big (we hate too much traffic) 3- place where it is easier moving by bicycle or walking with dog 4- Banks available in the area 5- Low crime rate 6- expat community (we are Italian) 5- Hospital or Small Clinic available in the area 6- Vet clinic in the area 7- location on the sea.
Looking in the forum, we found that maybe Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Puerto Plata could be an interesting place.

More than one option is welcome.:squareeye

Hi Fiocco,

We just moved to Las Terrenas (from the UK) ourselves a couple of weeks ago. We had the pretty much the exactg same requirements as you (except the Italian bit) and after a bunch of research and coming to spend some time in DR, we found that LT was far and away the best option for us, and like a few other posters have already mentioned, LT is probably the town in LT that most closely meets all your requirements.

Feel free to DM me if you would like some more specific advice. Also have spare space if you would like to stay with us and we can show you around Las Terrenas.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Rob :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

That sounds like a good plan. Just remember though, if you build a house and are not there for half the year you are leaving yourself open for some major problems. Unless you are in a gated community and someone is watching your house you probably get broken into. Everyone has this dream of a house on the side of a mountain overlooking the sea. Take my advice and rent for six months. In the long run it will be cheaper and a lot less headaches. When you are ready to leave the DR you just pack your bags and walk away. You won't have to worry about a vacant house. Good luck and good travels.

Apr 10, 2014
That sounds like a good plan. Just remember though, if you build a house and are not there for half the year you are leaving yourself open for some major problems. Unless you are in a gated community and someone is watching your house you probably get broken into. Everyone has this dream of a house on the side of a mountain overlooking the sea. Take my advice and rent for six months. In the long run it will be cheaper and a lot less headaches. When you are ready to leave the DR you just pack your bags and walk away. You won't have to worry about a vacant house. Good luck and good travels.

Renting instead of buying is the only way to go in the D.R. Keep your money liquid.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Gated Community seems like the only way to go, from what I am seeing and hearing first hand from Expats on the ground..
although I would love a stand alone property, alas it may be too risky as you say.