ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Nice, I could afford that.

dsc09267.jpg

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Its a $hithole, plain and simple.....a friend lived there (Dominican) at the first cruiza just after the baseball field and couldn't wait to move out of there.....noisy, lots of drugs, and quite a bit of crime and for a Dominican to want to move that says a lot....but hey if its the only place you can afford to live......good luck

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Its a $hithole, plain and simple.....a friend lived there (Dominican) at the first cruiza just after the baseball field and couldn't wait to move out of there.....noisy, lots of drugs, and quite a bit of crime and for a Dominican to want to move that says a lot....but hey if its the only place you can afford to live......good luck

Bingo!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Relax, some of us enjoy living in $hitholes that are noisy, drug infested barrios with
quite a bit of crime.:cheeky: or maybe some of us just relate more to and feel safer in
this type of environment than others.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Relax, some of us enjoy living in $hitholes that are noisy, drug infested barrios with
quite a bit of crime.:cheeky: or maybe some of us just relate more to and feel safer in
this type of environment than others.

Yes indeed. The same kind of person who crosses a street without looking, smokes cigarettes, shoots heroin, flies a kite in a thunderstorm. Darwin awards contestants. .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes indeed. The same kind of person who crosses a street without looking, smokes cigarettes, shoots heroin, flies a kite in a thunderstorm. Darwin awards contestants. .

Great analogy. Nothing to do with reality.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I don't live there but have heard it's a no go area for gringo's.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Certainly not "no go". I and my friends have had many good times there. But we would be mad to consider actually living there.

There seem to be very mixed opinions here. I know a Haitian who lived there a while and soon moved back to Callejon de la Loma (the main Cabarete barrio) because she was scared living in La Cienega.
Haitians can have their own, and very genuine, reasons to be afraid in particular locations.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Certainly not "no go". I and my friends have had many good times there. But we would be mad to consider actually living there.

Haitians can have their own, and very genuine, reasons to be afraid in particular locations.

Agreed on being "mad" to live there.

And what you say about Haitians is spot on.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
If you want to live in a barrio surrounded by dominican life try anywhere in Rio San Juan. Safe and an apartment for 3500-5000 pesos a month.
There is a choice of quiet rural barrios, crowded ones, by the sea and near the lagoon.
I'll be happy to show you around in May.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well Im just wondering. I live at La Mulata... Gringo place and Im not sure its that safe either, if you see what I mean...

I have not at all made up my mind, just aking opinions thats the idea of a forum is nt it?

I know about RSJ but I want to stay close to Cabarete (kite - windsurf)

:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe if you could list your budget and requirements people could suggest some neighbourhoods for you?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well Im just wondering. I live at La Mulata... Gringo place and Im not sure its that safe either, if you see what I mean...

I have not at all made up my mind, just aking opinions thats the idea of a forum is nt it?

La Mulata to La Cienaga would be like going from the frying pan into the fire. Understand the motivations to stay near the water sport area.

Dmason

Mar 11, 2012
La Mulata to La Cienaga would be like going from the frying pan into the fire. Understand the motivations to stay near the water sport area.

Living in Encuentro, I know many working people from La Cienega, decent young and middle aged Dominicans. However, whenever I have been to La Cienega it has been for a specific social reason, and a short visit. I have never felt what I would call "relaxed" there, always have my radar on, and always aware of being profiled, even when I do not stand out all that much. On Saturday nights it gets so loud there you can easily hear the music all the way to Encuentro and several times I have heard gunshots, presumably telling the neighbors to shut the f--- up, it's 4 am. A gringo no-go zone.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

You would be better off looking in the Callejon vs La Cieniga.....quite a few gringos live in the Callejon, little noisy but not as noisy as La Cieniga....and you are a little closer to the beach as well....

My thoughts not yours