Relocating La Ciennega (cabarete)

Dmason

Mar 11, 2012
On the other hand there are many extranjeros living in Callejon/Barrio Blanco, Cabarete. In my observation there is a very seamless local-gringo community there, and it is pretty quiet at night. There are some very decent apartments in there as well, and you are close to the beach and close to amenities/transpo east and west.

27january

Apr 12, 2016
What are some of the better places in that area the gringo's can go...... outside of the main Cabarete?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
On the other hand there are many extranjeros living in Callejon/Barrio Blanco, Cabarete. In my observation there is a very seamless local-gringo community there, and it is pretty quiet at night. There are some very decent apartments in there as well, and you are close to the beach and close to amenities/transpo east and west.

I wouldn't choose Barrio Blanco. As far as I know it's about the same level as La Cienega. Bad reputation.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Man rent a place for a week, month, then decide. The Callejon good from I have seen. Come and see. Everybody will tell you what they think, but it is what you think. I've lived here for 9 yrs. . It's has to be what you want. Be very, very careful.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
From Cabarete east to RSJ there are very few places to consider living south of the Highway. For one reason, the ocean breeze doesn't hit those low areas, stifling hot and humid in the summer, but IM told some like it that way

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
From Cabarete east to RSJ there are very few places to consider living south of the Highway. For one reason, the ocean breeze doesn't hit those low areas, stifling hot and humid in the summer, but IM told some like it that way
But the places beach side of the highway are much more expensive than the areas the OP is talking about. I live south of the highway and find that fans are a good substitute for ocean breeze, or in the last resort a walk to the beach!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ocean breeze is your electronics, car, motorcycle, wife, screens, frames, doors, and love life worst enemy. I would never live on the ocean, if given another chance. I cannot afford to keep replacing stuff...including women. Don't do it!!

Frank

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ocean breeze is your electronics, car, motorcycle, wife, screens, frames, doors, and love life worst enemy. I would never live on the ocean, if given another chance. I cannot afford to keep replacing stuff...including women. Don't do it!!

Frank

I can understand the material items getting damage with the salt but all the women turn into Medusa? (get it.... salt)

But

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I can understand the material items getting damage with the salt but all the women turn into Medusa? (get it.... salt)

But

Wrong historical analogy. Not Medusa. She was Greek mythology with hair made of snakes. She was a Gorgon, interestingly enough, and gazing upon her turned one into stone.

You're thinking of Lot's wife, in Genesis, who looked back at the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, after G*d said: "Don't," and she was turned into a pillar of salt.

Let's just keep correct track of our bad girls here.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Well I read it as salt tangled hair. Whether your hair is straight and blonde or curly and or kinky it gets messed up while it has salt imbedded in it
Der Fish

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
The North Coast one, on Rte. 5 from Puerto Plata/Sosua: geez. Unless you speak fluent (and exactly that) barrio Dominican and you are willing to live with no screens, an outhouse (maybe) and extremely sketchy electricity, I'd say, neh.

When I was managing the hotel, we had several workers who lived/live there. Great workers; honest; funny; etc. However, it also had/has some of the highest dengue/chikingunya rates.

So unless your reason for moving there is to deal with family issues or something similarly critical, I would say for even the above-average gringo (and do admit: if we were above average, would we be here? Nu?) La Cienega (sorry: no accent) should probably not be at the top of the list.

me,,,i cant live in the barrios,,,noise noise and lack of power...