Rent car scam

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit".

They always charge me this too, but it is reversed when the car is returned. Did you get stuck with one of their crappy Citroens? I’m going to get a smaller car next time to not get stuck with that again. Such an awful car!

Maybe I have better luck with them because I show up at 0400? No one feels like being a jerk quite that early?
I have my CC insurance (and a printed copy of what and where they cover) and have never had a problem.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I’ve never had that problem with Sixt there. I’ve had it with every other rental agency except them.

What do you consider to be "that problem"? It is beginning to sound as if Sixt did not refuse the CC coverage for the CDW but did in fact Does Not allow the CC coverage as a replacement for their mandatory supplemental liability insurance.

Will repeat what is in the contract every Sixt renter signs and agree to the terms and conditions.

This is what I read on SIXT website listed in their rental agreement.

Liability coverage/Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
If Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) is purchased the renter is protected against claims made by a third party for -bodily injury- and/or property damage sustained as a result of an accident while operating a rental vehicle.

This SL coverage provides the renter third-party liability protection up to a limit of 1.000.000 USD per accident. The purchase of Supplemental Third Party Liability Coverage is required by Sixt Dominican Republic for all rentals.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, diving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired, Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, driving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
I have never been forced to buy any supplemental insurance from Sixt, regardless of what the contract says. That’s why I go back to them. Budget made me buy insurance but not Sixt. Didn’t even mention it last time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have never been forced to buy any supplemental insurance from Sixt, regardless of what the contract says. That’s why I go back to them. Budget made me buy insurance but not Sixt. Didn’t even mention it last time.

any chance you have a photo of an itemized bill for a rental in la rep dom? might help out the OP.

Please note the itemized bill must be for la rep dom as it appears this requirement is not for all countries.

Last edited:

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
What do you consider to be "that problem"? It is beginning to sound as if Sixt did not refuse the CC coverage for the CDW but did in fact Does Not allow the CC coverage as a replacement for their mandatory supplemental liability insurance.

Will repeat what is in the contract every Sixt renter signs and agree to the terms and conditions.

Dear Big Bird!
In this case it should be a MUST in the contract. Not OPTIONAL.
Dear Big Bird!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Dear Big Bird!
In this case it should be a MUST in the contract. Not OPTIONAL.
Dear Big Bird!

all I am going by in what the rental agreement says that each renter signs. if you click the agreement and look at different countries some this supplemental liability is an option but for la rep dom it clearly states that in the DR it is a requirement.

I can see where the confusion would come in as you can actually book the vehicle online without choosing the supplemental but as you found out once you show up you must take the supplemental before they hand over the keys.

they still have their rear end covered because even though your bill says paid in full they still have the option to tap into that $1100 credit card hold they have.

why don't you email main headquarter and get something in writing?

In the portion of the agreement I posted it says..........

The purchase of Supplemental Third Party Liability Coverage is required by Sixt Dominican Republic for all rentals.

Would not you consider that to be a "must"?

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
all I am going by in what the rental agreement says that each renter signs. if you click the agreement and look at different countries some this supplemental liability is an option but for la rep dom it clearly states that in the DR it is a requirement.

I can see where the confusion would come in as you can actually book the vehicle online without choosing the supplemental but as you found out once you show up you must take the supplemental before they hand over the keys.

they still have their rear end covered because even though your bill says paid in full they still have the option to tap into that $1100 credit card hold they have.

why don't you email main headquarter and get something in writing?

In the portion of the agreement I posted it says..........

The purchase of Supplemental Third Party Liability Coverage is required by Sixt Dominican Republic for all rentals.

Would not you consider that to be a "must"?

No! The "must" will be extra $13/day in price IN THE CONTRACT. That no one in her right mind would ever agree to and pay for.

Let my Bank decide on my dispute after I return them their car. By phone my Bank told me that it was a clear case of the BREACH OF CONTRACT.
Other option I was told - to sue their HQ in USA in the small claims court for $3000. If I win this money - I will rent only from them. And sue for $3000 each time. I think it will be honest, fair and responsible. And both me and Sixt will be happy.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
but if they tell you you must "purchase" the supplemental doesn't "purchase" mean you have to pay for it?

if i were you i would have already had an email sent inquiring at main headquarters. I don't know about Sixt but when I had a problem with Alamo the main headquarters in USA had nothing to do with how operations are done in la rep dom.

go to the main source and not dr1 speculators and get some answers in writing............

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
but if they tell you you must "purchase" the supplemental doesn't "purchase" mean you have to pay for it?

if i were you i would have already had an email sent inquiring at main headquarters. I don't know about Sixt but when I had a problem with Alamo the main headquarters in USA had nothing to do with how operations are done in la rep dom.

go to the main source and not dr1 speculators and get some answers in writing............

I trust our DR.1 contributors much more!
And a nice small claims court in Miami never hurts I was told.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I trust our DR.1 contributors much more!
And a nice small claims court in Miami never hurts I was told.

you certainly better find out if you can sue DR Sixt in Miami.

you signed the contract agreeing to pay $13 a day. did you not? you could have walked to another rental car counter and rented from another company if you didn't like what Sixt was saying.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
write main headquarters because it ain't worth a hill of beans what anyone has to say on dr1 when you go to small claims court..........

if lucky main headquarters may reimburse you for customer satisfaction and not because they are wrong. it happens

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
BTW Sixt main headquarters is in Germany so brush up on your German.

Contact info:

Reservations: 1 (888) 749-8227
Headquarters: Pullach, Germany
CEO: Erich Sixt (1986–)
Founder: Martin Sixt
Subsidiaries: myDriver, Sixt Rent a Car LLC, Sixt Executive GmbH,

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
write main headquarters because it ain't worth a hill of beans what anyone has to say on dr1 when you go to small claims court..........

if lucky main headquarters may reimburse you for customer satisfaction and not because they are wrong. it happens

Dear Big Bird!
You yourself is a living proof of the value and insight of the DR.1 community!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Dear Big Bird!
You yourself is a living proof of the value and insight of the DR.1 community!

Just trying to help so when you show up in small claims court in Miami, FL USA you can tell the judge how to tell a German based company to pay you $3,000 for breech of contract.

Sometimes it pays to click those little boxes that say "more info".

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Recently a US resident/citizen ( of dom descent ) rents a car ( but not from a big brand, from a local shop ), has the option of extra coverage option---or not.
He opts for the " or not", counting pennies, i guess.
He has a crash, nobody else involved.
The owner ask him for aroumd 50k pesos for repairs...... since no extra coverage, only basic insurance.
The guy was at the end of his vacation, and had blown all his pesos on chicas and beer, no more dinero.
Owner and co confiscate his US docs, drivers license and all.
The guy cant fly home ( no docs, lol ).
He goes to PN and fiscal, believing , in accord to US/western mentality that a private citizen cannot retain his ID.
He forgot where he was.......lol.
Hurry up and find some cash man, was the response.
lo barrato sale caro (?sp)

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Just trying to help so when you show up in small claims court in Miami, FL USA you can tell the judge how to tell a German based company to pay you $3,000 for breech of contract.

Lesson is taken. DEAL ONLY WITH AMERICAN COMPANIES! Whom you can easily sue for scam and corruption.
I hope the Sixt brothers will hire an English translator to respond to my bank.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Irsav, Big Bird is correct.
All companies charge the Mandatory 3rd party liability insurance now. Alamo charges $9/day for example, it is mandatory.
Also, most of the car rental companies are Not American, they are franchises typically owned by Dominicans. Only the brand names are American.
Sixt is German name but may be the worst upseller of them all. Vote with your feet.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Also a headquarters in the US - (There must be if they are registered as a corporation in the US, which they are)
But I doubt any court will rule over the Operations actions or 'breech' in a US court of a Dominican branch

Sixt US Headquarters
Address: 1501 NW 49th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309, USA
Phone: +1 888-942-7498

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Our vehicle is in repair.
We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?

That is SOP, standard operating procedure in the DR. Just about every rental company in the DR will not use the same guidelines as they do in the US or Canada. They insist you have to pay for the optional insurance because if you rent and damage the vehicle they are covered by an insurance company in the DR. They don't care about a US credit card company that will back the optional insurance. That's the way they roll. Good luck trying to rent a car in the DR without agreeing to the "optional" coverage. In the long run you are probably better off paying for it and having piece of mind in a country where accidents happen frequently.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I've rented at the airport in the past and paid the fee's if renting for just a few days. Anything pass a week, I'll look for the local folks - cheaper and no fee's involved but you taking upon the risk that IF or should something happens, responsibility beyond liability is upon you.

The fee is where they make their money.

I'm not talking about renting from one of the fly by night companies off airport I am talking about a local market office of one of the international franchise companies. Believe me they make more than the 10% airport fee.