Rent car scam

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Last time I rented from Payless Rent a Car in Punta Cana for 27 days for a total of $653.05 which is $24.18 a day. It was December 16th to January 12th. We drove all over and had no issues. I did want to start on December 15th but I did not have a reservation and they did not have any cars that day. I came back the next day on the 16th and picked up the car.

It was suppose to be a Kia Rio or similar and they gave us a Hyundai Accent. That Accent carried a lot of luggage in the trunk. I don't think we would of fit in the Rio.

I have rented a vehicle several times from Avis in Puerto Plata and never had any issues. I have got a Kia Rio and a Hyundai Accent from them before. i did rent a Hyundai Tucson for around $50 a day from Avis. i thought they told me with the Tucson the extra insurance was included and mandatory. With the less expensive cars that I normally rent I was told it was an option to get the extra insurance. This is what someone from Avis in Puerto Plata told me.

I have never had a problem when I have booked it before arriving to the rental place. I try and see if I can earn extra United Miles when booking.

Longer rentals seem to drop the price down. I am not sure the minimum number of days to make it cheaper maybe 7.

i only rental local once which was a Jeep Wrangler I got in Cabarete for a couple of days. It was fun to drive around and I also didn't have any issues. I prefer the larger companies but want a Wrangler and stayed in that area.

Lukekyle

May 28, 2018
Our vehicle is in repair.
We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?

AT Economy Car in Punta Cana, June 20th 2018 Same thing happened to me in Punta Cana. I spent two hours arguing and even got my credit card people on the phone to talk to them. I used to rent cars in the RD with no problem using my Am/ex card for insurance. They refused all my credit cards and I even already paid for insurance on priceline.com YET still they would not let me get the car. At first it was one lie after another, I don't really care to get into, but I could read spanish and I challenged them on the policies I demanded to read that did not show anywhere that I had to purchase their insurance.
I wanted to rent from somewhere else, but by that time I was already late to pick my brother up from the airport, and if I went somewhere else to rent a car he would have been waiting at the airport for 3-4 hours and his phone didn't work in the RD so I would have no way to communicate what was going on.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not a good idea to ever give a card for advance payment for a rent a car. Then you are a sitting duck. If they want one, pass. You can always rent a car here at any airport without being held hostage.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance".
I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.
Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit".

After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.

yes it's a scam they use here all bull#### I hope you took photos before you left ... if you didnt when you come back they are going to try and charge for some little ding .... its usually the rat who inspects the car when you return it... he is looking for 500 pesos....

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
AT Economy Car in Punta Cana, June 20th 2018 Same thing happened to me in Punta Cana. I spent two hours arguing and even got my credit card people on the phone to talk to them. I used to rent cars in the RD with no problem using my Am/ex card for insurance. They refused all my credit cards and I even already paid for insurance on priceline.com YET still they would not let me get the car. At first it was one lie after another, I don't really care to get into, but I could read spanish and I challenged them on the policies I demanded to read that did not show anywhere that I had to purchase their insurance.
I wanted to rent from somewhere else, but by that time I was already late to pick my brother up from the airport, and if I went somewhere else to rent a car he would have been waiting at the airport for 3-4 hours and his phone didn't work in the RD so I would have no way to communicate what was going on.

s\they know you need a car to get around ... so they feel you have no choice......I rather deal with the police in santo domingo ..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some of the routine behaviors we engage in at home are not play out the same way here. Perhaps one of the reasons why the AI vacation model is so successful. If you choose to deal with the local economy, then expect to encounter situations that are intended to take advance of a visitor's transient situation.

Many such situations are predicated on the assumption that the "victim" won't bother to object too strenuously because that would disrupt their travel plans, are not here long enough to file any sort of formal complaint and probably won't pursue the matter with much vigor once they return home.

A fisherman puts more hooks into the water than needed to catch the desired number of fish.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not here long enough to enjoy the benefits of the legal system
is the answer....

usually takes a few days to get to see a judge.... about 2 days after the flight home...
take your choice....

Scott18684

Jun 10, 2018
I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.

After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.

The car rental places are scum one time the guy charged $1000 on top of the deposit made and insurance without saying a word just handed it to me to sign I said no. The next time the woman charged $800 deposit after we just agreed to $200. Then I made her void it and she pretended to check with her boss and then said ok $400. So I said ok and went through a big ordeal on how the charge had to be cancelled. Returned car two days later and then a week later all the charges posted none cancelled had to message on WhatsApp and finally got refund. Obvious scam they know how to cancel freezes

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
yes they are scum ....every person I talk with agrees.....i rather deal with hookers on the malcon

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
In person their prices are three times higher than when booking online.
We rent cars in this country for over ten years.

We have rented here longer than that,never paid more than $25 US per day and better rate if we want it longer
Exactly how cheap are these online bookings?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not a good place to cut corners... Car Rents -- IMO

Try OK Motors on the No Coast...
free P/U & Drop Off at POP in the price

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Not a good place to cut corners... Car Rents -- IMO

Try OK Motors on the No Coast...
free P/U & Drop Off at POP in the price

Booked on Kayak dozens of times. Both POP and SDQ.
This fraud like Sixt - first time. This fraudulent charge will be disputed/charged back with our CC.
Looks like the DR economy goes way down. So they are forced to cheat on us even more than before.
This disgusting greed of these people spoils the beauty of this country.
They try to charge as if they are First World. It is not.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
When using your cc for the insurance check the terms. Credit cards do not pay any taxes or fees or VAT’s. And to save a world of hurt i always get the 3rd party liability insurance. I had a moto with a passenger marry the rear quarter panel of the SUV I was renting injuring both and totaling the 250 they were riding. 3 hours at AMET and the next morning at the fiscal with the rental lawyer and I was signed off. She had 2 checks for the family of the injured totaling over 136.000 pesos. At the time that was 3 grand. Settled by a Dominican lawyer. How much for a gringo without insurance? Very happy I did not find out....

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
Do not use points to book rental cars either from credit cards or mileage from airlin

Do not use your points from your credit cards or airline miles either, Once you book the car , they will try to force you to accept their supplemental insurance and if you refuse the car then you have to go through the extreme hassle of canceling the car and notify the credit card company or airline and in some cases actually incur a cancelation fee.
I personally have always dealt with one guy in Santiago at InterRent , no hassles, they give you the car at the rate , if your credit card has Collision Damage Waiver, he will put a hold charge on your card for the rental duration and the vehicle has third party liability coverage which is the scam. The guy's name is Luis and I highly recommend them, he can assist you from wherever your flying in from

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
irsav
You sound like you may be a candidate for a car purchase...
Rid yourself of the annoying riff-raff

Gorgon might help you