Renting a car in the USA using a DR Driving Licence

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I heard somewhere that a DR driving licence isn't valid in the USA. Does anyone know? I want to rent a car there and I just discovered that my UK driving licence has expired.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I heard somewhere that a DR driving licence isn't valid in the USA. Does anyone know? I want to rent a car there and I just discovered that my UK driving licence has expired.
Perfectly valid. I use it all the time. In fact I was at Mia with a local friend and he wanted to rent a car. He has a Florida license and lives there. They wanted a bill from his residence in Florida which he did not have with him of course. I pulled out my DR license and asked if I can rent the car. She said no problem Sir. I drove out with the car, my friend could not believe it........They prefer tourists over locals because locals rent cars to drive all over the US. Tourists only stay in Florida.

Just to add in Palm Beach years ago I cut off a trooper and he pulled me over. I gave him my DR license and he asked me if that is the way they drive there. I said sorry, but it is. He let me go with a warning. I think a foreign license is a pain to issue a ticket, but it is perfectly good. Also good all over Europe...............

Reactions: drstock

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I rented once in Florida using my DR license. I had an old Danish one that looked teared up. So I thought the DR one looked better. And it wasn’t a problem but this is now around 10 years ago. I hear in Denmark now following FB pages for Danish expats that the best thing is an international license you then would apply for in the UK.

Reactions: drstock
Jan 9, 2004
The correct answer is....it depends.

Depends on the rental car company. To insure a smooth transaction.....get an International Drivers license. While it is nothing more than a translation of your real drivers license, it will make the process go much smoother. I am not a big believer in these IDL's, but in this case....yes.

While your license is in Spanish, most car rental people are younger and likely to reject your DR license because they cannot read or understand it. Of course there are probably some car rental company exceptions.....but why take the chance.

So you can either call ahead to the rental company to be sure of their requirements, take your chance and see if your DR license is accepted, or get the IDL.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Lucifer and drstock

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

While your license is in Spanish, most car rental people are younger and likely to reject your DR license because they cannot read or understand it. Of course there are probably some car rental company exceptions.....but why take the chance.

They swipe the DR license, so your theory, and it is just a theory is WRONG. You can rent a car in ANY State in the US.......................

Jan 9, 2004

They swipe the DR license, so your theory, and it is just a theory is WRONG. You can rent a car in ANY State in the US.......................
Not a theory SKY:

Gotta love your google search though.....Quora.....there is a reliable source...........but if you must use them at least scroll down to the post by "Assistant."

As I stated above.....:it depends on the rental car company."

And its not to difficult to call or read the terms of service from the rental company itself.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Lucifer

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not a theory SKY:

Gotta love your google search though.....Quora.....there is a reliable source...........but if you must use them at least scroll down to the post by "Assistant."

As I stated above.....:it depends on the rental car company."

And its not to difficult to call or read the terms of service from the rental company itself.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You have NO clue what you are talking about and NO experience with a DR license. But keep posting nonsense, someone might believe you....................

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can't speak for the USA but I have used my DR license several times in Canada without issues. The Rental cars guys in Vancouver are all Chinese and they don't care.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
  • If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English (or French, for rentals in Canada) and the letters are English (i.e. German, Spanish, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is recommended, but not required, for translation purposes in addition to the home country driver's license.
This is from the Enterprise car rental website. I too have NO experience with a DR license, but I can tell that you can rent a car with one. As others have mentioned, calling ahead to the particular rental agency wouldn't hurt.

Jan 9, 2004
You have NO clue what you are talking about and NO experience with a DR license. But keep posting nonsense, someone might believe you....................
Of course I don't have a clue.....you said so.

Nonsense! No one has to believe me.....but they better not believe you without first verifying with their car rental company.....because it "depends" and Hertz' requirements are quite clear.....if you bothered to read them;

But hey its nonsense.....you said so lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Here is the policy for Avis:

It would be safe to assume that rules/policies at rental agencies may differ.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Perfectly valid. I use it all the time. In fact I was at Mia with a local friend and he wanted to rent a car. He has a Florida license and lives there. They wanted a bill from his residence in Florida which he did not have with him of course.
That's insane. Who's going to be walking around with a bill from their residence? This must be something new. I've rented many cars with my Florida license and have never been asked for a bill to my home address.

Jan 9, 2004
Here is the policy for Avis:

It would be safe to assume that rules/policies at rental agencies may differ.
Exactly. It "depends."

From Avis' website;

INTERNATIONAL RENTALS​

If you intend to rent outside your home country, you may also be required to present an International Driver's Permit. International Driver's Permits are valid only if presented with the original local license. An International Driver's Permit it not acceptable by itself.

Avis may also require that renters outside of their home country and renters with a foreign driver’s license (other than a U.S. or Canadian driver’s license) present a valid passport or a secondary form of identification at the time of checkout. The name on the passport must match the name displayed on the driver’s license.

Note that the "depends" part is because both Avis, Hertz, Enterprise and many of the others have company owned and franchise locations......and franchisees that use their own fleet can institute their own policies.

Finally, there are only three major rental companies....Hertz, Enterprise and Avis......but they also own the other brands most people are also familiar with......National, Alamo, Budget, Thrifty, Payless etc,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Exactly. It "depends."

From Avis' website;

INTERNATIONAL RENTALS​

If you intend to rent outside your home country, you may also be required to present an International Driver's Permit. International Driver's Permits are valid only if presented with the original local license. An International Driver's Permit it not acceptable by itself.

Avis may also require that renters outside of their home country and renters with a foreign driver’s license (other than a U.S. or Canadian driver’s license) present a valid passport or a secondary form of identification at the time of checkout. The name on the passport must match the name displayed on the driver’s license.

Note that the "depends" part is because both Avis, Hertz, Enterprise and many of the others have company owned and franchise locations......and franchisees that use their own fleet can institute their own policies.

Finally, there are only three major rental companies....Hertz, Enterprise and Avis......but they also own the other brands most people are also familiar with......National, Alamo, Budget, Thrifty, Payless etc,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
This is what I am hearing now. So to be on the safe side get the international and yes I think its like an extension of your local. Not difficult to get.

Aug 21, 2007
I have never had problems with my dr license. What seems to be the problem is if I present a Dr Visa card or a US credit card.

But in the end I always get the car.

Just takes a little patience - like it does to make transactions here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been renting cars in the US with my DR license for over 20 years. Even when my first licenses, that were renewed here, were never actually in the DR licensing system. One time the agency did not have Dominican Republic in their system so for that rental I was from Dominica.

Reactions: drstock and SKY

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
The conclusion must be that it’s still fine to use a DR license in FL. I have only recently heard of the requirement of an international one. I don’t know if it’s possible to get the international one in the DR.