Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dawnwil said:
I know something that you don't know.

Those were awesome directions, simply awesome.

Except... you go nowhere near the Duarte Hwy from Santiago Airport. That's the long, long way to the airport through Moca, or back again.

There's a shortcut the other side of the airport... that gawdawful dirt road we've been talking about...
Of course I know about that road, and it ain't no shortcut.
It's less distance, but the crater size potholes have you driving so slow that it actually takes longer.
Taking the route I suggested, I can get from downtown Sosua to the STI airport in 1 hour 15, without ripping exhaust systems, oil pans and transmissions off the bottom of my car.
As this alternate route, via Moca was suggested, in order to avoid the Caretera Turistica, with all it's potholes, it would not make sense to send the OP through even worse road conditions along that road you mentioned.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
After all this, when you get to Moca, if you get to Moca ;), save your sanity and ask a friendly motoconcho driver to take you through the town to the road to Jamao. It is the easiest way to get from one end of Moca to the other without flapping around inside the town with no sense of direction and no idea where to turn next. It really is confusing, that town.

If you watch closely, try to find Dawn. She will be sitting waiting on her concho just to lead people through Moca.. :classic:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
geez Chris...

I wouldn't mind waiting on my moto, but waiting on my concho? Never. It's strictly sexual. heheh

Rocky... that was definitely an exaggeration :).

You know very well that there's no comparison between potholes on a perfectly flat stretch for a half mile, give or take, and sections of missing road on hairpin turns with humans, donkeys, horses, dogs, motos, trucks, appearing like obstacles in a video game at any moment. in my humble opinion.

That war zone road from hell was half a mile long, give or take, and supposing we traveled it at 10 mph (I think we were faster), it would take us 3 minutes to get through. After that it was a breeze.

From Sosua side, to drive through Moca and all the way to Duarte first... how can you say it's less time?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I saiditbefore

Thisveryquestiongotalotofundiesinknots.

Different keyboard, sorry.

<I think <i could bet thattheCarretera Tur?stica <luperon is actually shorter, albeit much worse shape than the road to<jamao.

But look<<<<: both are lovely drives.

And, Dawn; I havenotbeen ovberthatlittlestretch since they started digging it up.

SO,FYI,you can go to the right as you come out of the parking lot, and you eventually hit the same <moca-Santiago highway,avoiding your ?stretch fromhell?

HB ?:D:D:D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
yes, you were right

I don't know why, but the fundiesinknots aspect of this discussion is hilarious. Roads have taken on new significance in this country, haven't they.

Guess we've beaten this to death... for now.

I was thinking, though, that Macmasher ought to do his part and drive both routes here, just for an outside opinion. He owes us!

hee.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for being understanding

I could not get that keyboard to work for the life of me!.

I think on the 23rd I'll try both roads and see what's up..

HB :D:D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly said:
SO,FYI,you can go to the right as you come out of the parking lot, and you eventually hit the same <moca-Santiago highway,avoiding your ?stretch fromhell?
You meant left, of course.
At this point, with all the lefts and rights, I think I'm getting Dominically confused again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nope! I meant right!

That road goes around the other side of the airport and comes out on the Carretera to Moca.

I think that during the day I'd prefer to take Dawn's Road from Hell for just that short stretch...IF I were going to go that way, that is...hehehe

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
gosh

I really hope Macmasher makes it.

Maybe I ought to be sitting on a Moto in Moca, to protect him in his travels. He'll be the guy driving around in circles, with DR1 to thank.

hee

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
You can be assurred that (after ALL this), I WILL make the trip. In fact, I plan to go "the (almost to - or through) Moca route" to Sosua, and take the #25 Mountain Road coming back. That way, I can give a full report on both.

Have I decided on a route from STI to Moca? Perhaps - but I'm not sharing yet. The issue has become just SLIGHTLY less controversial than capital punishment. Who'd ever have thought a simple request for directions post could become so much fun?

Thanks to all who contributed, and (switching to HB's new keyboard)... pleaseknowIreallyappreciateit.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very funny!

Actually, you should have a ball doing this.

Just go slow, since no matter which route you take there will be surprises...

As for that keyboard over at the computer place, you should have seen the look on the girl's face as I sat there trying to make sense of what I was trying to write!! I (smash spacebar) do (smash spacebar) appreciate (smash spacebar) your (smash spacebar) humor!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A Pahtee ???

We should all meet up at Rancho la Cumbre.
Dawn, with her award winning "best a s s", Hillbilly with his vast knowledge and wisedom (I have a new keyboard for you), Escott with his billy goats, I could bring the dancing girls, and whomever else we can recruit.
If alanindr is around at the time, I'm sure he'd be glad to bring his research report on bisexual women in the DR, and share it with us all.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
ah... sure, ok dude

I'll get my a$$ to La Cumbre, am always keen for that drive, but you better give me a couple day's head start. hahahahaha.

Hey Wud (if you see this) that reminds me: I found some photo editing software on the computer I didn't know I had. Can resize that image for you, if you like. :)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Rocky said:
If alanindr is around at the time, I'm sure he'd be glad to bring his research report on bisexual women in the DR, and share it with us all.

yeah right. Don't hold your breath... he misses everything around here.

then again, he misses nothing.

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
report on first-time "Moca route" from STI to Sosua

I'm late posting this... but I did the STI-Sosua drive May 15, and returned via the same route on May 20. First, to anyone doing this for the first time, read this entire thread... to which I'll now add my observations.
- I took the ugly gravel road (let's call it "road A") going left out of the airport. It's easy to spot. My two cents... the road is not nearly as bad as others said it would be. You'll be on this road for about 4 minutes.
- At the end of the gravel road is a "T" - go left here. You'll be on this road (let's call it "road B") for about 9 minutes.
- Then you'll come into Licey, and will turn right onto the road heading east toward Moca. It's called Highway #14 (on the map), but I don't recall seeing that number a single time while driving it (so let's call it "road C"). You'll see a "Pollo Licey" shop with a big yellow sign on "road C" as you're about to turn right from "road B".
- You'll be on "road C" for about 15 minutes. For the next turn (left, onto Highway 21) I'll quote/parphrase Hillbilly. "The tricky part is the left at the 'backwards fork in the road' just before you get to Moca. There are a bunch of car dealers there and it is the only real opening to the left. You can see a TEXACO station just a few yards up the road you're going to turn into, on the right."
- Hillbilly was totally accurate about that turn (onto Highway 21). Seeing the Texaco station assured me that I was making the proper turn. And although you'll stay on Highway 21 all the way to the north coast, you WILL have to make a right about 8 minutes after getting on 21 in order to stay "on course". The turn is well marked (arrow to "Yasica") and you'll see a "Navidad" filling station on your left when it's time to make the turn.
- About Highway 21... it's VERY well marked. While driving it, I saw reassuring route signs nearly every 10-15 minutes.
- After that "stay in 21" turn, it's a breeze all the way to Highway 5 on the north coast (make a left, through Cabarete, to Sosua). You'll go through many small towns, and view some awesome scenes.
-----
About the return trip, the only challenge was spotting the turn from the Moca-to-Santiago road (Highway 14/"Road C") toward the back entrance to the airport. Remembering the above-referenced "Pollo Licey" shop with a big yellow sign will be helpful (the turn IS marked, but not very visibly)
-----
Final observations...
- I rented from Alamo/National (at STI, they're one and the same) - $134US total for 5 days - great people, no BS - highly recommended.
Given a delightful driving experience and $300 saved on airfare (by flying into STI vs. POP), I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But for a first time visitor to the DR, I suggest NOT renting and driving until one has a few trips to adjusts to the "culture shock".

Special thanks to all those whose advice gave me the confidence to enjoy a great adventure.

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
final remarks

I did meet up with Dawn at Rocky's. She was/is both helpful and delightful. And I will refrain from making any comments about the a$$... except to say that it looked as enticing as a plate of Rocky's ribs (grin).

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
macmasher, great posting. Rental prices have come way down since when I used to rent cars in the DR. I may try that option on my next trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.