request for STI to Sosua driving directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
macmasher

LOL, you are too kind.

I am so happy I won the War of the Roadses. He chose my route, folks. He left it as a surprise and told no one which way he would go, so I was on pins and needles til I discovered that...

I WON, I WON. heh. ... sorry Hillbilly. Sorry Rocky. :bandit:

Next time you're in town, Mark, I hope I have more time to palaver. And I'm so glad the directions were ok. Thanks for the heads up on that final right turn; I must have blanked it out because it was still Hwy #21. We've now got PERFECT directions for the next guy.

btw, I had a pm from another fellow who saw the thread and wanted to take the same route... I pmd him again after talking to you--hoping like hell that he wasn't lost somewhere with a mountain tribe of chicas--and updated him about the final right turn.

Heard from him again after his trip, and he gave your observations the thumbs up.

dawnwil

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Thanks

rellosk said:
macmasher, great posting. Rental prices have come way down since when I used to rent cars in the DR. I may try that option on my next trip.

Rellosk, I had been looking in here once in a while after macmasher left Sosua to see if he would make a trip report. I had to know if he would mention that my road WON. :)

I missed this thread entirely, but happened to catch your comment in his trip report thread 'another great posting' made me look twice.

THANK-YOU!

I WON, I WON.

hee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Remember, this was NOT a contest

You will note, please that I, too, recognized the fine possibility of going your way, and, I believe, I contributed somewhat to the selection:

"I think that during the day I'd prefer to take Dawn's Road from Hell for just that short stretch...IF I were going to go that way, that is...hehehe"

Taken from an earlier post of mine...:D:D

And Mr. Macmasher is to be congratulated for following the directions and providing more up to date information on your "Road from Hell" now maybe we can upgrade it to "Purgatory??"

Seems like these boards are useful to some people. This week we have:

1) Kept one Canadian dreamer from losing his "not too deep pockets" in a farming venture and
2) Proved we know how to give newbies good driving directions...

Have a nice weekend...:D:D:D

HB

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
what?

Not a contest. I'm devastated. I thought I won.

aw, heck, Hillbilly, can't a gal have some fun? hee.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
134.00 dollars for 5 days??!! I paid 50. a day at dollar and avis at sti. i must be

macmasher said:
I'm late posting this... but I did the STI-Sosua drive May 15, and returned via the same route on May 20. First, to anyone doing this for the first time, read this entire thread... to which I'll now add my observations.
- I took the ugly gravel road (let's call it "road A") going left out of the airport. It's easy to spot. My two cents... the road is not nearly as bad as others said it would be. You'll be on this road for about 4 minutes.
- At the end of the gravel road is a "T" - go left here. You'll be on this road (let's call it "road B") for about 9 minutes.
- Then you'll come into Licey, and will turn right onto the road heading east toward Moca. It's called Highway #14 (on the map), but I don't recall seeing that number a single time while driving it (so let's call it "road C"). You'll see a "Pollo Licey" shop with a big yellow sign on "road C" as you're about to turn right from "road B".
- You'll be on "road C" for about 15 minutes. For the next turn (left, onto Highway 21) I'll quote/parphrase Hillbilly. "The tricky part is the left at the 'backwards fork in the road' just before you get to Moca. There are a bunch of car dealers there and it is the only real opening to the left. You can see a TEXACO station just a few yards up the road you're going to turn into, on the right."
- Hillbilly was totally accurate about that turn (onto Highway 21). Seeing the Texaco station assured me that I was making the proper turn. And although you'll stay on Highway 21 all the way to the north coast, you WILL have to make a right about 8 minutes after getting on 21 in order to stay "on course". The turn is well marked (arrow to "Yasica") and you'll see a "Navidad" filling station on your left when it's time to make the turn.
- About Highway 21... it's VERY well marked. While driving it, I saw reassuring route signs nearly every 10-15 minutes.
- After that "stay in 21" turn, it's a breeze all the way to Highway 5 on the north coast (make a left, through Cabarete, to Sosua). You'll go through many small towns, and view some awesome scenes.
-----
About the return trip, the only challenge was spotting the turn from the Moca-to-Santiago road (Highway 14/"Road C") toward the back entrance to the airport. Remembering the above-referenced "Pollo Licey" shop with a big yellow sign will be helpful (the turn IS marked, but not very visibly)
-----
Final observations...
- I rented from Alamo/National (at STI, they're one and the same) - $134US total for 5 days - great people, no BS - highly recommended.
Given a delightful driving experience and $300 saved on airfare (by flying into STI vs. POP), I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But for a first time visitor to the DR, I suggest NOT renting and driving until one has a few trips to adjusts to the "culture shock".

Special thanks to all those whose advice gave me the confidence to enjoy a great adventure.

i spent 50.00 a day at both dollar and avis. I went from window to window for an estimate, and these had the best price. I ll say avis has the best deal. new cars and most location's around the island.
the drive to sosua is about 1:40mins. quik directions, out of the airport make your first right. drive 15 mins to the "elevado" (higway shifts onside up one side down.)take the lower road to the 'rotunda" and make first right. drive 15-20 mins to the second rotunda and make a right(oppisite of monticristi direction.) over the overpass right to highway to "puerto plata/sosua" or easterly. about an hour from this road.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, I live here and if I took those directions

I'd be totally lost....

Basically, they do not make sense, since if you turn right coming out of the airport you will circle around to the Santiago - Moca highway--which I suggested BTW...
However, you really meant to go out to the Duarte Highway and go towards Santiago.

Once you have veered to the right off of the Avenida Monumental and take the 'Elevado" you have two choices
1) keep going straight west (yes, there is a traffic circle at the edge of town, but you don't turn there unless you know the back roads..:p:p)to Navarrete and then turn north-to the right- and take the tunnel road, or

2) when you come down off the "elevado" take a right at the first light and follow your nose to the POP- Sos?a highway...

HB :D:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
kapitan75 said:
the drive to sosua is about 1:40mins. quik directions, out of the airport make your first right. drive 15 mins to the "elevado" (higway shifts onside up one side down.)take the lower road to the 'rotunda" and make first right. drive 15-20 mins to the second rotunda and make a right(oppisite of monticristi direction.) over the overpass right to highway to "puerto plata/sosua" or easterly. about an hour from this road.
Why are you trying to confuse people with vague directions when exact step by step directions were outlined in post #38. Even someone as navigationally challenged as I am could follow these directions:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=300821&postcount=38

Copywrite note: The above directions were provide by macmasher with help from dawnwil and Hillbilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.