Residencial Hispaniola in Sosua

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I haven't done any PEX installs in the DR yet, but plan on it. I have in the States and I use PexUniverse.com for direct ship. When I start in the DR I will just use them and have them send to a shipping forwarder.

PexUniverse prices are the best out there, quality is excellent and none of it really weighs that much. For me, shipping it in is much preferred then driving all over trying to find the right fittings/manifolds.

photo2u

Jun 23, 2015
Elgator, You will be doing the same thing I have been planning for the last 3 years. I have visited many possible locations for my modern white cement house. La espanola is very nice location. I was there in August and spoke to a very nice lady who took me around and showed me several locations. The building regulation came up and I did had some questions that needed more information. Bottom line, the place is very secure but the their fees were a little high. I have decided not to build there and my search still on. My new favorite place is Las galleras. I was able to reach many foreigners living there and have the inner scoop in how things get done there. In my 20 years of experience in visiting the DR this is location has left me with the most confident options for my project. Members giving feedback to your post are righ on target. I have a very strong background in the construction industry and I do speak spanish like a native speaker. For me, It would be a very hard task to build my beutiful modern beach house. However, I will not give up on my dream. Please be careful with who you hired. I have been burn many times by people I have known for many years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
10/11 yrs ago I built...

I had a good Fr/Cdn guy who has a great reputation.
We were on the same wavelength...

In these days of video calls, you can monitor construction from afar.

Before you all throw things at me...
I visited every 4-5 weeks and conversed frequently

It all turned out well... better than expected.. no surprises/disappointments
I may have been lucky
But getting a good builder is paramount.

I'm not suggesting you follow my lead - but it is possible
All the builders aren't dunces

BTW... 3 bdrms... 3 1/2 baths... garage....

3 pods... master... 2 bdrm.... main living area...

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
A few years ago a friend of mine built a house in Sosua with a reputable contractor. He had a lawyer approved contract with with the builder. When the house was built the contractor said he ran over budget and demanded an extra $20,000. My friend who had a contract refused. So the contractor froze my friend’s bank account which can easily be done without any proof in this country and told my friend that he would keep his account frozen until he got to $20,000. Since my friend had a large amount of money in his account which he couldn't afford to have frozen for an indefinite period of time he reluctantly paid the contractor the extra $20,000
You are initiating an adventure that you that you may not be prepared for.
good luck

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
A few years ago another friend of mine wanted to build a hotel in Sosua. He hired the most reputable contractors he could find. With the $100,000 down payment the 2 partners who were his contractors, bought themselves an expensive SUV each.
Consequently they were short of money to begin the project and asked for more and more advances.
The project stalled followed by years of litigation.
My friend lost several hundreds of thousands of Dollars and the project was years behind schedule before it was finally finished.
This man had lived in the Dominican Republic for quite a few years and thought he was accustomed to the usual business shenanigans in this region. This is why he gave the contractors only a small down payment of $100,000 to get the project started which was only a small fraction of the total cost of the hotel.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The lesson here - do not keep a lot of money in a Dominican bank - if it's not here then no one here can get their hands on it.

Periodic payments for house construction should go through a lawyer. You transfer from your foreign bank to the lawyer's account, they pay the builder getting the requisite receipts/signatures. You then have a documentation trail from start to finish.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
A few years ago another friend of mine wanted to build a hotel in Sosua. He hired the most reputable contractors he could find. With the $100,000 down payment the 2 partners who were his contractors, bought themselves an expensive SUV each.
Consequently they were short of money to begin the project and asked for more and more advances.
The project stalled followed by years of litigation.
My friend lost several hundreds of thousands of Dollars and the project was years behind schedule before it was finally finished.
This man had lived in the Dominican Republic for quite a few years and thought he was accustomed to the usual business shenanigans in this region. This is why he gave the contractors only a small down payment of $100,000 to get the project started which was only a small fraction of the total cost of the hotel.
Both of these contractors that you refer to as "reputable" were not in any way reputable if they screwed your friends out of money.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Both of these contractors that you refer to as "reputable" were not in any way reputable if they screwed your friends out of money.

Plus the OP asked about Hisp Res, not about every tom, dick and harry that calls themselves a builder.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The lesson here - do not keep a lot of money in a Dominican bank - if it's not here then no one here can get their hands on it.

Periodic payments for house construction should go through a lawyer. You transfer from your foreign bank to the lawyer's account, they pay the builder getting the requisite receipts/signatures. You then have a documentation trail from start to finish.

Bingo. The builder should also clearly state his expected profit from the get go. Money is released and builder is paid in stages.

Giving 100K to start a project is crazy to me.

Elgator

Jul 23, 2018
Many thanks to all of those who posted replies Some incredible feedback. The truth is, I have shifted gears. I was originally interested in either building a villa or purchasing a beachfront condo. And I think I have found a unit that is just right for me. It is right on the beach, at the end of Playa Alicia. Los Balcones. The size is to my liking, 1 BR, 1 bath. Walking distance to Sosua Beach and Playero Supermercado. It is in excellent condition, though I would want to do some sprucing up in the kitchen. I definitely would invest some additional money in some improvements. I am in the process of working with an agent and submitting n offer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Wind. But could you explain a little further please??

I don't build anything here unless I watch every step of the process.

If you prefer the ignorance is bliss method, then just pay the money and wait until it is done.
Because a contractor did a good job once , twice, or three times, it does not mean your job will be done well.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Many thanks to all of those who posted replies Some incredible feedback. The truth is, I have shifted gears. I was originally interested in either building a villa or purchasing a beachfront condo. And I think I have found a unit that is just right for me. It is right on the beach, at the end of Playa Alicia. Los Balcones. The size is to my liking, 1 BR, 1 bath. Walking distance to Sosua Beach and Playero Supermercado. It is in excellent condition, though I would want to do some sprucing up in the kitchen. I definitely would invest some additional money in some improvements. I am in the process of working with an agent and submitting n offer.
I know someone that lives there every winter and had someone break into the condo in the broad daylight while he and his family were home and lost $5000. in electronics. You may want to inquire about the security there.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The basics are:

-During construction, a high level of supervision is required to ensure quality work is done according to spec.
-Vacant dwellings need additional security/attention - not all security guards are trustworthy.
-Property management companies representing absentee owners, tend to be lackadaisical.
-Careful attention to insurance policies is needed for absentee owners with vacant or rented properties.
-A gated community is no guarantee of no-hassle property ownership.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
I have been Sosua for more than decade. Hispanola is decently built, maintained and secured. Long term aabout quality of materials and practices. Plus ease of replacements (including if available) and or process. Obsolete is my favorite word working at sea or when at home for parts. Access for repair, access to the parts, access to a qualified technician are all in play. A new build I wouls spend the extra bucks. Buy a used home I would ask for an extra 15% off knowing you will be ripping apart all plumbing and electrical on the older homes.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
One of the things I've heard about Hispaniola from an owner was about years delay to get proper title to the property and no home owners association yet so owners are blind to what financials actually make up their high fees. Trying to sell without a title/deed is all but impossible for a legal transfer.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The basics are:

-During construction, a high level of supervision is required to ensure quality work is done according to spec.
-Vacant dwellings need additional security/attention - not all security guards are trustworthy.
-Property management companies representing absentee owners, tend to be lackadaisical.
-Careful attention to insurance policies is needed for absentee owners with vacant or rented properties.
-A gated community is no guarantee of no-hassle property ownership.

So true. Youtube is chock full of videos of thieves gaining access to homes in some of the most unimaginable ways..

Some I have seen:

Using a jack to pry steel bars off of windows.
Pulling out a split A/C tube and knocking out the hole for access
Using hydraulic jacks to pry bars apart to gain access
Helping a small kid between bars to rob items
Crowbars to break entrances
Using a battery powered grinder to cut through locks.
Breaking through a wall with a sledge hammer.

Don't ever think your home is secure, or your home camera system that records every movement will stop them from entering.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
A very comprehensive home inspection should be conducted before buying any property here. Everything from the foundation to the roofing tiles. There are a lot of properties here that were built without the adult supervision mentioned above - lol.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A very comprehensive home inspection should be conducted before buying any property here. Everything from the foundation to the roofing tiles. There are a lot of properties here that were built without the adult supervision mentioned above - lol.

That's a great theory. Only problem is there is no such thing as a certified home inspector here.
Similar to real estate agents. No qualifications or training. If you can say it, then you are one.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I spent a week in Residential Hispanola via Airbnb. It was a very nice looking place -- I think it lists for around $300K US -- but the place did not have hot water or AC . Along two walls, the ground sloped toward the house, causing interior mold problems. It's a long walk to the Supermercado and the beach. You would need a car in my opinion.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
That's a great theory. Only problem is there is no such thing as a certified home inspector here.
Similar to real estate agents. No qualifications or training. If you can say it, then you are one.

Same with plumbers and electricians.