Residency renewal online - has anyone tried?

nml57

Feb 22, 2005
ok ty for info

all i have there for now is my request and under " estado de la solitud "is the mention of "en redaction"

i just wait a little more see if anything changes.

ty again

there is still no change in my situation, something must be wrong

any suggestions ... i was thinking of going to santo domingo tomorrow see if i can get things moving...

manuela13

Jan 5, 2011
there is still no change in my situation, something must be wrong

any suggestions ... i was thinking of going to santo domingo tomorrow see if i can get things moving...

I think that you dont send it. Open it and control it if anything is wrong. If you send it sucesful its chance tu ien evaluacion.

Sorry for my bad english

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My husband and I just did our 4th renewal of the residency card and cedula.  From our perspective the process was absolutely no different than before (we use a lawyer) except that it took longer than ever.  We arrived at the Immigration office in Santo Domingo at 9AM and didn't have our residency cards in hand until 3:30PM.  As far as I could tell, it was the same process.  Go to a window with papers...sit down and wait.  Go to another window with papers....sit down and wait.  Listen for your name...go get your picture taken...sit down and wait.  Listen for your name again....pick up your residency card.  No explanation why it took over 6 hours except the usual Dominican incompetence.  Jumped in the car and rushed to the cedula office.  Got there just in the nick of time.  Got our pictures taken and then my husband got his cedula and then the woman turned off her computer, got her bag and started to leave.  I asked what about mine.  She said it was time for her to go home...sorry.  Come back tomorrow.  All she had to do was print the frickin card and give it to me..but no..it was 4:00 and time to go.  I wanted to rip her frickin head right off.  Thankfully, since the paperwork and picture was completed, I was able to pick up my cedula the following day at the office in Veron so we didn't have to go back to Santo Domingo.  That actually went very smoothly and I was in and out in minutes.

This whole renew every year thing is so damn ridiculous.  Thankfully next year we get the sort-of permanent residency.  

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Its her time to go home.

Why so angry only because somebody has the right to go home after her day of work? You are still guests here so the process might be different than in your country, but please.... These people are not your employees or slaves. Be grateful that you get it done in just a day, think about it.

My husband and I just did our 4th renewal of the residency card and cedula.  From our perspective the process was absolutely no different than before (we use a lawyer) except that it took longer than ever.  We arrived at the Immigration office in Santo Domingo at 9AM and didn't have our residency cards in hand until 3:30PM.  As far as I could tell, it was the same process.  Go to a window with papers...sit down and wait.  Go to another window with papers....sit down and wait.  Listen for your name...go get your picture taken...sit down and wait.  Listen for your name again....pick up your residency card.  No explanation why it took over 6 hours except the usual Dominican incompetence.  Jumped in the car and rushed to the cedula office.  Got there just in the nick of time.  Got our pictures taken and then my husband got his cedula and then the woman turned off her computer, got her bag and started to leave.  I asked what about mine.  She said it was time for her to go home...sorry.  Come back tomorrow.  All she had to do was print the frickin card and give it to me..but no..it was 4:00 and time to go.  I wanted to rip her frickin head right off.  Thankfully, since the paperwork and picture was completed, I was able to pick up my cedula the following day at the office in Veron so we didn't have to go back to Santo Domingo.  That actually went very smoothly and I was in and out in minutes.

This whole renew every year thing is so damn ridiculous.  Thankfully next year we get the sort-of permanent residency.  

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Office hours should be adjusted to reflect a public closing time about an hour before the employees expect to leave for the day. At that time, a person should be placed at the door to turn away new arrivals and to let those customers who are finished, leave. This will allow enough time so that all those already inside can be served before the end of the day. 

Only someone who is well immersed in the atrocious customer service practiced in this country would attempt to defend the stranding of a client mid-process by a public servant who is more interested in going home than providing the service that they are employed to provide. That's not even counting the time this clerk may have wasted at work playing games on the cell phone rather than actually working.  I was there just a few weeks ago and counted no less than three women sitting at desks staring at their GD cell, shuffle a few papers and then right back to the phone. Repeat...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just maybe that employee was thinking if the poster wanted to make sure they got their cedula today they should have came earlier. Not the employee's fault the poster got delayed at DGM. No doubt if she stay an extra ten minutes today she will be staying an extra ten tomorrow.

I do understand the poster's frustration but as always, two sides to the coin.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Office hours should be adjusted to reflect a public closing time about an hour before the employees expect to leave for the day. At that time, a person should be placed at the door to turn away new arrivals and to let those customers who are finished, leave. This will allow enough time so that all those already inside can be served before the end of the day............................

If they do it that way the poster would have already had the door closed upon arrival and would have had to return to SD the next day. At least she got part of it done and was able to go to a closer office to home the next day. Let's not forget the poster didn't show up that morning when the doors opened.

...................Only someone who is well immersed in the atrocious customer service practiced in this country would attempt to defend the stranding of a client mid-process by a public servant who is more interested in going home than providing the service that they are employed to provide. That's not even counting the time this clerk may have wasted at work playing games on the cell phone rather than actually working.  I was there just a few weeks ago and counted no less than three women sitting at desks staring at their GD cell, shuffle a few papers and then right back to the phone. Repeat...

Regardless if the employee spent the entire day doing her fingernails the poster showed up late. Time to quit, time to quit. As far as you know maybe those computers are programmed to shut down at 4 PM.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
EXACTLY

You nailed it big bird.

The only thing foreigners do here is complaining about what is not working here like in their own country, but when it comes to driving after a few beers, pay off the Amet after a stop or doing other kind of monkey business then all is just fine here.

I know a few of them and only have one word to tell them "LEAVE".

If they do it that way the poster would have already had the door closed upon arrival and would have had to return to SD the next day. At least she got part of it done and was able to go to a closer office to home the next day. Let's not forget the poster didn't show up that morning when the doors opened.

Regardless if the employee spent the entire day doing her fingernails the poster showed up late. Time to quit, time to quit. As far as you know maybe those computers are programmed to shut down at 4 PM.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sorry, but I think what this gov employee did was inexcusable. It would have taken less than 5 minutes to print out that cedula.

Not all employees, business or government agencies here are like this. Several personal examples come to mind - my bank, local supermarket, and ferreteria. In all cases, customers that were in these establishments at closing time were allowed to finish their transactions.

Doors were closed and no one else let in, but customers at the teller windows weren't given half their money and told to come back the next day for the rest. Same with the ferreteria, and customers at the supermarket weren't forced to walk out with half their food or to put what they had back on the shelf.

Same with the Dominican passport office in Pto. Plata. They did stop allowing people from entering at a certain time prior to closing, but those in there with numbers waiting were taken care of after the doors were closed. They weren't told to go home and come back the next day.

Then there's always the tried and true method of dealing with situations like this. I was in Santiago getting the registration for my car. Several steps involved and I was at the last one just waiting for the print out of the document. Closing time. I was told to come back the next day. $500 pesos solved that problem real quick. I had the registration and avoided a trip back from Cabarete.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sorry, but I think what this gov employee did was inexcusable. It would have taken less than 5 minutes to print out that cedula..............

I wasn't there but possibly there were others waiting also. If she does one, then she has to do more? Sure 5 minutes today, tomorrow it becomes 10 minutes, and on and on. You have to stop someowhere and the poster just happened to get the short straw.

I have a strong feeling the employee felt if you wanted to make sure you got your cedula today you should have arrived at the office sooner.

Maybe, just maybe the employee has a life outside their job and somewhere important they wanted to go.

Just my two pesos, I do it today I got to do it tomorrow............ NO way

Or they could have done it the Cdn Gringo way and not allowed her in the office at all. Made her come back to SD for everything the next day.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

I arrived with about 15 minutes to spare.  I was explicitly told that as long as I got in there before 4:00 they would process and deliver me my cedula.  It was honestly the most bizarre thing.  It would have literally taken her 30 seconds to print out the cedula.  This was pure apathy on her part.  The supervisor at the office was very nice and was instrumental in making sure I could get my cedula back in Veron.  He went out of his way to make sure I had all the info I needed.  He even risked missing his bus home.  I was very impressed with his attitude and commitment to service.  The young woman whose sole job is to sit at a desk and print out cedula's is a different story.  She just sat there staring Facebook and then shut off the computer and went home. 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I arrived with about 15 minutes to spare.  I was explicitly told that as long as I got in there before 4:00 they would process and deliver me my cedula.  It was honestly the most bizarre thing.  It would have literally taken her 30 seconds to print out the cedula.  This was pure apathy on her part.  The supervisor at the office was very nice and was instrumental in making sure I could get my cedula back in Veron.  He went out of his way to make sure I had all the info I needed.  He even risked missing his bus home.  I was very impressed with his attitude and commitment to service.  The young woman whose sole job is to sit at a desk and print out cedula's is a different story.  She just sat there staring Facebook and then shut off the computer and went home. 

Why couldn't the supervisor print it out?

From the time they take your photo until the time to print the cedula something else must need to happen in the system? Yes? If so maybe, just maybe this didn't happen.

Like I said, I wasn't there but if the supervisor spent all that time couldn't he just have easily printed the cedula if it was ready to be printed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wasn't there but possibly there were others waiting also. If she does one, then she has to do more? Sure 5 minutes today, tomorrow it becomes 10 minutes, and on and on. You have to stop someowhere and the poster just happened to get the short straw.

I have a strong feeling the employee felt if you wanted to make sure you got your cedula today you should have arrived at the office sooner.

Maybe, just maybe the employee has a life outside their job and somewhere important they wanted to go.

Just my two pesos, I do it today I got to do it tomorrow............ NO way

Or they could have done it the Cdn Gringo way and not allowed her in the office at all. Made her come back to SD for everything the next day.

That's a possibility if there were others waiting(?). Still, just pushing a button and printing out that cedula probaly only takes one minute if things were as described by the poster.

Basically, that's what happened to me getting my registration in Santiago. I wasn't the last one. There were probably at least 6 more. I slipped him 500 pesos on the "QT". Not too many Dominicans will turn down 500 pesos for 5 minutes of their time!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's a possibility if there were others waiting(?). Still, just pushing a button and printing out that cedula probaly only takes one minute if things were as described by the poster...........

IF it was "ready" to be printed.........

I don't work there but do know once the photo is taken there is a delay before they can print the cedula. Maybe data needs to be put in the system, maybe a reply needs to be received, who knows. Possibly, just possibly more needed to be done before the cedula would be ready to print.

If it were a simple matter of pushing a button then the supervisor could have done that. Most all supervisors can override the system and do any function within the office. We just don't know...........

Last edited:

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
All I would say is if you find this frustrating, do not under any circumstances set up a company in Dom Rep. Wow, you need to go to maybe 20 different offices to get papers stamped and filed, in each one they have someone, normally a young woman busy on Whatsapp, who is employed to tell you after an hour's wait that the paper is the wrong size or color, she needs an extra copy, and you have to come back tomorrow. And then there is a deadline which you have just missed so you have to start again. Same with Edeeste (I have five accounts) same with Claro (7 accounts) same with CAASD (5 accounts), same with the bank. It's taken me seven years to learn not to get frustrated by this. Remember, salaries are way lower than we are used to. Education standards are way lower. And most of the people you are dealing with have never left the country, and have never really experienced what great customer service feels like. You just need to be patient, don't ever expect to get things sorted out in one visit, always allow most of a day to get something done, and take a good book or an iPad.

Feb 7, 2007
All I would say is if you find this frustrating, do not under any circumstances set up a company in Dom Rep. Wow, you need to go to maybe 20 different offices to get papers stamped and filed, in each one they have someone, normally a young woman busy on Whatsapp, who is employed to tell you after an hour's wait that the paper is the wrong size or color, she needs an extra copy, and you have to come back tomorrow. And then there is a deadline which you have just missed so you have to start again.

Not any more, if you haven't noticed.

http://www.formalizate.gob.do/

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
print it out and go to SD to complete the process.
dv8 excuse I am a little confused. Is there still a medical and X ray when renewing the permanent residecia or is not ? I done everything on line gott the message with the number.  I understand  that I now have to go to Santo Domingo. Somebody told me the have spoiled the medical and  it is possible to get the residencia same day

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I did find a lawyer's site that states if your permanent residency is prior to 1996 then no medical is required. Can anyone verify? but their charges are outrageous.

REQUIREMENTS:
Medical certificate (If card was issued before 1996 you won’t need a medical certificate)
Photos
Application form
Application letter
Legal Insurance
Police Good Conduct