Restaurants POP

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I agree with wishingiwasthere regarding Cafecito. We have been there 3 or 4 times. The last time the service was poor, food was average and yet again the price on the check was greater then the price on the menu. I was given the same old reason as before, the menu has not been updated. Probably will not visit again.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
We love to eat at Banana's Place in costambar. A dominican restaurant, the food is great, if you are wanting a great lobster dinner, you order the day before and it is reasonable in price and great to eat!! He also cooks an amazing steak but again sometimes need to give him a little notice, but well worth the effort!! Love his mushroom sauce!!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I agree with wishingiwasthere regarding Cafecito. We have been there 3 or 4 times. The last time the service was poor, food was average and yet again the price on the check was greater then the price on the menu. I was given the same old reason as before, the menu has not been updated. Probably will not visit again.

I feel I have to concur with both of you and your comments re CafeCito.
I did mention a couple of negatives in a previous thread and I was "shouted down" but I tell it like it is. I have been on a number of occasions and the poor service, food and pricing was an issue more than once...

Sorry...... :ermm:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Locations

A few of these restaurants appear worth trying, but we need their exact locations.
If y'all didn't mind downloading this map,
(click on image to download)

then using "Paint" to mark a given restaurant's location, it would be very helpful.
Something like this.

Chinese restaurant = Pale blue dot.
Great eggrolls, very good food, decent prices, noisy location.
ScreenShot001g600x329.jpg

S

sokitoumi

I thought the plastic hairy burritos might get a mention lol

ngc911

Jul 30, 2008
Thanks

Rocky,

Thanks for the great Puerto Plata map.... It's about time that I find a decent map of the city. I have my challenges but this one should help me greatly on my next trip.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,

Thanks for the great Puerto Plata map.... It's about time that I find a decent map of the city. I have my challenges but this one should help me greatly on my next trip.
Anytime.
That's a screenshot of an interactive pdf map.
If you want it, just PM me your email address.

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for posting the map Rocky, I will definitely try out the Chinese place when I return to POP/Sosua in Dec as Chinese along with Seafood are my favorite types of food.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
The problem I see in this post is people want to know where are the good restaurants in the Puerto Plata area.

I like the "Tres Cocos" in las Rocas where the owner [I believe Austrian] still cooks and the prices are reasonable. The Dominican restaurant "Sonrisa" on Av 27th de Augusto about 200 yards down from the public hospital. This lady is a Dominican from New York and has catered a couple parties for me with great results. The last I recommend is Quo Vadis on Av Luis Ginebra about 1/2 mile past the police station on your right as you go towards the baseball stadium. They have a mixed menu reasonably priced and at lunch time is very busy with Dominican businessmen.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Yesterday I saw a new restaurant in Costambar, just across from Barcode. Anybody has visited it?

It's called Ambiente & we've been there several times already.

The food is good - we've not sent anything back yet!

The portions aren't huge & that is reflected in the prices.

Drink prices are the cheapest of the Costambar restaurants we've been to - cheaper than most bars in town too.

The toilets are clean & flush.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
We went there the other day, didnt eat as they had no written menu, only a couple of dishes with all the same price, beer was warm so never returned.
Hopefully they get their act together and i am sure it will work out for them, I like the terrace outside.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
Are you talking about the Chinese restaraunt Weng Yeng ? if so its excellent, or is it the other one near to the Malecon ? , both good in my experience

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We went there the other day, didnt eat as they had no written menu, only a couple of dishes with all the same price, beer was warm so never returned.
Hopefully they get their act together and i am sure it will work out for them, I like the terrace outside.

They have menus now & the beer's nice & cool.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Chris & Maddys

no one mentioned it until you did, I think, because most of the others mentioned are different sorts of restaurants. C & M cater to more of an international crowd than most of the places mentioned. It's true the prices are not in line with most of the other places mentioned but you will very rarely if ever get an undersized lobster, warm beer, the same dish returned to you afer you send it back, a cesspool odor from the rest room, a one hour wait for a basic dish, be ignored by the staff, have to scream your order over the deafening and scratchy sound coming from long ruined speakers, or any of the other familiar annoyances that all of you are nodding your heads to just now.

It's a nice family run operation and the setting is relaxing. You may pay less elsewhere but it might be worth a little more if you don't already have ameoba. On the other hand, I kind of like the fish shacks south of Cofresi. :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Rocky, thanks for the great Puerto Plata map ... it's about time I found a decent map of the city. I have my challenges but this one should help me greatly on my next trip.

I will be emailing Rocky for a copy of this useful map, but what is with the double gyratory shown at the Parada de Hospital adjacent to Barrio Cristo Rey? Was this some proposed scheme that never happened?