RICE , BEANS , & CHICKEN ( la bandera )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Take the daily pill and eat semi healthy. Life it too short. I take 10mg a day and my cholesterol dropped from 300 to 108. The 99 side effects is a bit exaggerated.
Sea monkey thank you for your answer and advised

Question for you :

How old are you ? Or what’s you age ballpark ?

Do you take it daily ? And for how long ?

Which one did they give you ?

And the most important question what side effects Do you get ? You said you don’t get 99 but do you get 50 side effects ?

I am addicted to orange juice ; do you drink orange juice and is it bad or good ?

Thank you sir

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE takes Lipitor (for many years) and I just started Crestor. No side effects for either of us. His cardiologist told him to take it at night, so I do too, maybe that’s why?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This may or mat not be an issue here, but prescriptions can make you dizzier during the first few hours of taking them. If you take them before going to sleep, the dizzier effect happens while you are asleep.

Also despite the mantra that everyone is the same, every person’s genetic make up will affect how the body metabolizes a prescription. What for one person does nothing in terms of side effects, for another it could be enough to look for alternatives.

When a doctor gives you a new prescription, you are suppose to call your doctor if within two weeks of starting it gives you more serious short term side effects. In that case, the doctor will prescribe something without the potential of creating that side effect, although it could create a different side effect.

Lastly, many prescriptions are available in the DR, but they often have a different name than in the USA. Knowing the generic name of a prescription makes easier finding the same thing in the DR. With that said, some prescriptions are not available in the DR and they don’t have a generic replacement. In that case you have no choice but to stay in the USA unless you want to take the risk of not taking that prescription.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Take the daily pill and eat semi healthy. Life it too short. I take 10mg a day and my cholesterol dropped from 300 to 108. The 99 side effects is a bit exaggerated.
Depends on the person. My boss in Canada got severe muscle cramps and disappearing muscles from Crestor.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, I think you need to have these conversations with your physician. He knows your medical history. Everyone is different, what works for some may not work for you. You posted that your cholesterol is "extremely high". You need to get that addressed before making the move to another country, DR.

Reactions: drstock

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Rey, I think you need to have these conversations with your physician. He knows your medical history. Everyone is different, what works for some may not work for you. You posted that your cholesterol is "extremely high". You need to get that addressed before making the move to another country, DR.

IMHO, the real question is more if the OP has any issues in his life.
Going to the doctor nowadays is like taking your car to the garage/shop.
They NEVER say " your car is perfect, you can fo another 40k w/o touching a thing ".........

Anecdote :
When I applied for residency in the DR I needed something like a clean bill of health (?).
My doctor had never heard of anything of the sort........ anyway, she sends me for a blood test.
When I go back for the results, she says to me that she understands why I am moving to the DR.
I am like " what ? ".
She proceeds to explain to me that I have a rare genetic disorder that makes me unable to cope with cold weather, makes me lethargic and whatnot....... lol.
I answered, I climb up mountains once or twice a week with my skis on my back and then proceed to ski down them, you Donkey.
So she signed a piece of paper saying I was in good health that I used for my DR residency.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
IMO anyone that starts a thread stating that they have just been told that they have "extremely high cholesterol" asking if the "plato del dia" is healthy may want to get their health issues addressed before making the move.

Reactions: JD Jones

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Too much added salt in those comedors. Which means high blood pressure and strokes in the long run.

Had to throw away this "chofan" meal from a pica pollo last week due to the ridiculously high level of sodium in it.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
There are plenty of healthy options such as buying your fruits and vegetable from local vendors instead of the supermarket. Cook at home, this way you can regulate how much salt, oil, etc...is used.
What's wrong with buying fruits/vegetables at the supermarket ? I go to La Sirena or Bravo.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
For furiners with delicate stomachs careful with reheating rice the next day or two. A doctor in sosua warned me many years ago when I used to get sick from the food. He said bacteria can grow in the rice. Now I have the resistance but I’m still careful. I like to toss it same day if not finished. Not the GF, she’ll make asopao de something and boil the schnict out of it. Maybe solving the threat. I will often trash mine when she’s not looking. I like airtight plastic containers to minimize the risk also.
I hope you don't eat from those plastic containers... let alone eating hot food in plastic containers.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I'm 5
Sea monkey thank you for your answer and advised

Question for you :

How old are you ? Or what’s you age ballpark ?

Do you take it daily ? And for how long ?

Which one did they give you ?

And the most important question what side effects Do you get ? You said you don’t get 99 but do you get 50 side effects ?

I am addicted to orange juice ; do you drink orange juice and is it bad or good ?

Thank you sir
I'm 52. I take 10mg of Rovascol daily. Started 6 months ago and have not had any negative side effects. Research shows very little side effects.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If the OP just has high triglycerides a medicine that works very well is Ciprofibrato. I take Atorvastatina 10 mg and it controls my cholesterol very well.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
For furiners with delicate stomachs careful with reheating rice the next day or two. A doctor in sosua warned me many years ago when I used to get sick from the food. He said bacteria can grow in the rice. Now I have the resistance but I’m still careful. I like to toss it same day if not finished. Not the GF, she’ll make asopao de something and boil the schnict out of it. Maybe solving the threat. I will often trash mine when she’s not looking. I like airtight plastic containers to minimize the risk also.
Thanks for the advice. I have never had a problem so far, but I suppose I should be more careful.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I was dignosed with extremely high cholesterol today , I was given 2 choices get on a PILL ( 99 side effects ) or GET on a healthy diet forever

I decided NOT to take the PILL and it’s 99 side effects ; So everyone knows I will be moving to DR in January and one of my budget $$$ rules was to eat inexpensive food or at least NOT to eat fancy food during the weekdays and stick to PLATO DEL DIA at comedors , I guess y’all know where this is heading to ;

2 questions :

1- is rice beans chicken a healthy choice for Lunch ?

2- what other choice of healthy food may one found at a typical Dominican COMEDOR / plato del dia type restaurant ?

Most of those places are mostly about flavor, not about health. Most people still use artificial seasoning to make food taste good. Everything has a lot of fat. even steamed vegetables are oily.
I avoid getting green salad because I worry if they washed it with "good water". I prefer wheat, green boiled plantains, or yams, instead of rice. Cooking at home is the best option.

Reactions: DR fan1990

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
Eating at home is good advice. I can recommend getting the book "Eat to Win" by Dr. Robert Haas, it was published in the 80's and is referred to as the sports nutrition bible. It details the effects of exercise and nutrition, however the last third is a recipe/cookbook!
The recipes are based on health outcomes yet sacrifice nothing to flavour. Many of the recipes are simply delicious! Even without following its' recommendations "religiously", the outcomes over time are quite remarkable...heartrate, blood pressure, cholesterol. Just adapting some of these recipes into your regular diet can be quite beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.