Rick from Rocky's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not a dumb guy. Hard to believe he was aware of the seriousness of the investigation. I bet the case against him was constructed during the years he lived in Sosua. At this point he is presumed innocent and the government must prove the charges. Hope he has deep enough pockets to pay the lawyers. Even if he wins he will be bankrupt by the time its over. Good guy, best of luck in the fight.

Jul 28, 2014
When you apply they explain that once you have submitted the paperwork correctly and passed your interview then they do checks with Interpol in your home country and the DNI and DNCD here in the DR. If you had committed some massive crime in your home country would you really offer your details to Interpol on a plate? Something fishy if you ask me.

Matilda

Matilda

I somewhat agree with your fishy view, however, it's INTERPOL at work here, not the local bumbling keystone cops looking to kick another gringo out under the "guise" of human trafficking...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
He will definitely get a fair trial but the process is very slow. Frauds are in some cases very difficult to prosecute unless there is a strong paper trail as well as corroborating witnesses.

It really depends on the type of fraud involved. If it was some sort of local Ponzi scheme or investment/real estate scam (the sort of stuff you see on "American Greed"), it could be fairly challenging, as there's usually quite a few people who are complicit. However, what likely happens is those folks get pinched and roll over whoever's fled. If Rick is the Last Man Standing (and thus unable to turn state's witness and cop a plea bargain), it could be very tough for him.

The second major type is "wire fraud," which is a pretty broad category. Basically it means you used some sort of electronic means (emails, bank wires, whatever) to commit the crime. If that's the case, then whoever investigates that in Canada (the Secret Service does it here in the US) will likely have boxes of incriminating evidence. That's VERY hard to defend against, and the best you can frequently do is to, once again, throw your accomplices under the bus before they do it to you, and cop a deal.

A tough position to be in. Didn't know the guy, but never heard a bad thing about him.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Matilda

I somewhat agree with your fishy view, however, it's INTERPOL at work here, not the local bumbling keystone cops looking to kick another gringo out under the "guise" of human trafficking...

My thought exactly. It is Interpol !! But because his ribs are good, people shouldn't jump to conclusion :classic:.

Criminals make mistakes too, that s why many end up being caught eventually.

Let's be real, something is fishy is Interpol is looking for you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My thought exactly. It is Interpol !! But because his ribs are good, people shouldn't jump to conclusion :classic:.

Criminals make mistake too, that s why they end up being caught eventually.

One of the first mistakes they make is telling others they are wanted.

A few drinks and the tongue starts flapping.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

right. it may be that he thought he was smarter than the police because he committed a fraud years or even decades ago and got away with it. it may be that he committed a fraud under a different name. it may be that he committed a fraud recently, or that his name came up in the investigation recently or the crime was committed via internet and he thought he was untraceable and safe. it may be that he applied for the citizenship well knowing the risk but in a desperate bid to get new identity.

as you said, the involvement of interpol spells serious trouble. it's not the same as regular police extortion story.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
right. it may be that he thought he was smarter than the police because he committed a fraud years or even decades ago and got away with it. it may be that he committed a fraud under a different name. it may be that he committed a fraud recently, or that his name came up in the investigation recently or the crime was committed via internet and he thought he was untraceable and safe. it may be that he applied for the citizenship well knowing the risk but in a desperate bid to get new identity.

as you said, the involvement of interpol spells serious trouble. it's not the same as regular police extortion story.

Citizenship does not give you a new identity. They take the name which is on your birth certificate and that is your name as a Dominican citizen. If you are married, once you have your Dominican cedula you then have to provide your marriage certificate and they change it to your married name. There have been cases where Interpol has the wrong person and I still maintain that if I had done something wrong no way would I submit all my details to Interpol voluntarily. You state lots of maybes and another maybe is that they have made a mistake.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it may be.

and to me a nice, neat passport from another country seems like a good thing to have when your past is not so clear. personal view, so to speak.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
First place I stayed while visiting Sosua years ago was Rocky's. Rick was always helpful.
Several business owner's around Sosua sent home over the last year for one reason or another.
Damn shame indeed.

Jul 28, 2014
It is a shame Cristo, I half-assed know Rick. I stay at Rockys 3 times a year and will be there next week with the Novia, hence the fact I had her call to insure Rockys was still functioning. Rick was always cordial (at least to me) and always asked how I was doing and let him know if there was anything he could help with, its going to be a bit weird not seeing him around.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Is there a statute of limitations in fraud and money laundering cases? Perhaps Rick thought prosecution was barred and that he could divulge accurate information in order to become a Dominican citizen. He just seems to smart a guy to have handed himself over to Canadian authorities and Interpol on a silver platter.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You are so negative ;)

I highly doubt this was a mistake, common people! He seemed like a nice guy, only met him once but if he is guilty I hope they throw the book at him! Not sure how a guy can be a good guy who frauded millions of $$$!

No, no, it is a case of mistaken identity :cross-eye

May 12, 2005
Searched the Saskatchewan courts and news looking for a story. Couldn't find anything. I wanted to see if they published a link to the complaint/indictment.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Is there a statute of limitations in fraud and money laundering cases? Perhaps Rick thought prosecution was barred and that he could divulge accurate information in order to become a Dominican citizen. He just seems to smart a guy to have handed himself over to Canadian authorities and Interpol on a silver platter.

Don't know in Canada, but in the U.S. (which is a somewhat similar system), the federal statutes vary between eight to ten years for financial crimes. The longer period is applicable to financial crimes which lead to funding terrorism. HOWEVER, the statutes of all crimes are tolled (meaning suspended) in cases where the suspect is a fugitive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada operates along the same lines, so that won't help Rick.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i run some search too and nothing. i don't know anything about canadian legal system, do they publish records using full names of suspects?

Status
Not open for further replies.