robbed,,,surprise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2007
Since my large dog was asleep on the job last night as we were robbed......My wife and I have decided we need a small, alert, yippy dog.......We really do not like chihuahuas....therefore,,,,does anyone know of any miniature schnauzers for sale???
thanks

Kind of like an auxiliary power unit to get the big main engine running :classic:

I don't know the availability in the DR, but my Cousin has a "Min Pin" and they are very active and inquisitive, not to mention fearless

Feb 15, 2005
One of the biggest mistakes guard dog owners make, is leaving their dogs outside the house when away, thinking this will deter the intruder. It's best to move the dogs inside when you're away. Intruders can hear the dogs in the house but no way to get to the dogs and poison them and will certainly not want to encounter them IN their house.

May 5, 2007
Thank you for the concern,,,,,I have no idea who or what "lapulga" is.......what I would really like to get is the "biggest, meanest, rip the friggin leg off anyone who walks onto my property",wolfdog,,,,or doberman......
I'd settle for one of these if I can't get a yippy ,"alertdog" schnauzer"...

I had a chance to talk with one of the Marines on board ship one day, he was a certified handler/trainer for Military dogs

I asked him a question I was always curious about; what is the big difference in Dobermans and German shepherds as far as guard/attack/service dogs He replied that both are excellent, getting the Dobes to work in cold weather can be a problem though

I asked what he preferred and he said "Doberman for sure" I asked what and he said, "the big difference in the Dobes and the GSD is their attitude toward strangers and noises, If you had a Dobe and GSD both guarding the same hangar and they heard a noise on the perimeter, the GSD would raise his ears and go on alert, the Doberman would take off running toward the noise, scaling ten foot fences, swimming trenches and tearing down concrete walls until he found out what it was"

Nothing against shepherds, just a little less "inquisitive" as far as I know, and of course natural ability only goes so far with any breed, training training training

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Case in point
We had a Doberman.

We brought a man onto the property to help in the garden....in addition to our man.

We went out to start the work, the new man picked up the pick and swung it.....
That dog lurched forward at him.... scared him to death.

We called the dog off.... she just wandered back, sat between us and looked around as if to say..
"OK, do we all understand each other here??"

Even when our own worker started the pick, she growled at him.

Great dog, fierce defender...

Our current GSD acts just as you say..... except when she gets serious, she can be mean looking.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Richard alberto an island dreaming have very good points, Guard dogs should be keept away for many reasons, like they get used to strangers etc, once let go they go to work and know that there is an intruder they must deal with and is you have two guard dogs, shooting one of them is not an option for the bad guys.I always have two, an oversize rottie and a g.s.d they compliment each other. Once let loose at night in particular they know is show time and even armed bad guys will be at a disadvantage.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The best dogs to use for guard dogs here are street dogs, they often know instinctively when a 'bad intentioned person' is around, they have lived among people trying to harm them most of their lives. There is little chance you will poison a street dog over the age of 3 year old, most have been lightly poisoned at some point, they know the bad stuff and learn quick. I've sat with dogs who have been poisoned an numerous occasions, the popular poisons here are cheap and don't break the system down fast. An average dog will take about 30 minutes to be taken down so it can not walk, about an hour to become unable to lift its head, about an hour and a half for the internal breakdown and internal bleeding to begin to drown them and then it is just a matter of fight and the size of the lungs and heart. A robber is unlikely to poison your dog in an opportunist situation, if he is going to do that that then he need preparation. So you know if your dog has been poisoned in the yard, keep your eyes open, burglars may be back later.
Street dogs here are wise as they are anywhere. By far the best alarm system and most protective dogs you will come across. You don't need certain breeds that police use etc.These are robots, useless in a relaxed situation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WE had another incident, to prove your point, Porkman

We had a sleepy watchyman (duh!)...
The dogs got very upset one night... so much so that went to investigate..... at 11:30pm (way past my bedtime)

The guy was AWOL - sound asleep in the rafters.

The dogs are used to walking w/ him at nights... they tour the property line together.
in the rain - they go alone

They knew something was wrong ..... I never would have believed it

Watchy is fired - dogs are hired

May 5, 2007
Unless you are trying to protect a valuable asset (I don't mean your home is not valuable but there are thousands just like it, I simply mean one of a kind facility that the intruders must enter, such as a weapons depot, jewelry store etc.) the dog that makes the most noise is the best one

When burglar begins to case a home and hears ANY dog barking, the general thought is to move on to a home that does not have any dog, noise is not the burglars friend

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Evening, It is my opinion that the Malinois is the best service dog hands down. Google French Police dog and you will see an example. What is does not show is that they are very good with kids and generally love the family.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I can second that. I have a Malinois. Best dog you can get. An angel with our boy and loves the family. Very alert and checking everything what is going on outside 24/7.

Good Evening, It is my opinion that the Malinois is the best service dog hands down. Google French Police dog and you will see an example. What is does not show is that they are very good with kids and generally love the family.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Personally, my favorite dogs are an alarm system, pepper spray, a black belt in a martial art, a 6 gauge shotgun and a 357 magnum smith and wesson. They dont need to be house broken or anything and they work right away.

Dec 26, 2011
Personally, my favorite dogs are an alarm system, pepper spray, a black belt in a martial art, a 6 gauge shotgun and a 357 magnum smith and wesson. They dont need to be house broken or anything and they work right away.

But they can't give you kisses.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

Robbers will be long gone with your stuff before you find any shells for your 6 gauge. Better off with a 12 gauge.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Robbers will be long gone with your stuff before you find any shells for your 6 gauge. Better off with a 12 gauge.

Yeah, I agree. That still fits what I was saying. Get some guns, keep loaded, set the alarm, get the pepper spray and some machetes and daggers and knives. Basically, prep the home for a bloody war with anyone who dares to enter and rob you.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah, I agree. That still fits what I was saying. Get some guns, keep loaded, set the alarm, get the pepper spray and some machetes and daggers and knives. Basically, prep the home for a bloody war with anyone who dares to enter and rob you.

With all due respect, you sound like an interesting neighbour, the guy that patrols his 1 Acre property in full military outfit and night vision goggles, I'll bet you have a bomb shelter reinforced with lead in the basement, no?:paranoid:

May 5, 2007
With all due respect, you sound like an interesting neighbour, the guy that patrols his 1 Acre property in full military outfit and night vision goggles, I'll bet you have a bomb shelter reinforced with lead in the basement, no?:paranoid:

You been down to my building site in Santiago? Be careful there at night,the infrared tracking of that XM 214 locks on and you are in deep **** :classic:

cruzan

May 3, 2006
Thanks to all who responded to this thread...
this is a great web site,,,and right now I need some of the chuckles that I received....thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.