ROI Buying an apartment to live in for 1 year.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: thanks for the link...

wtf2001 said:
THe school is one of the biggest reasons we are considering Sosua moreso than Cabarete at the moment. We would like to find something within reasonable distance of all the support infrastructure (grocery, school, social venues, *beach - if even possible).

If the beach were not within a 30 minute walk, we would want something higher on the hills or mountains that still had some nice vistas, if not of the ocean.

I have never really considered S.D. since we do not prefer city living. I have lived in Chicago and L.A., so would like to avoid repeat. The north area seems appealing in general moreso than a larger population.

I appreciate the advice this thread is generating. I assure you I invest several hours a day researching our interests, and this board is a huge benefit not just to me but for the rest of the forum community.

Gary and Kim
If you are going to live in Casa Linda you WILL NEED A CAR. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't need it unless you want to live like you did before you got a drivers license and depended on your mom and dad. There aren't taxis or motorconchos up at Casa Linda at your beck and call. You cannot walk to the beach from Casa Linda unless you are a power walker along with the 6 year old. Even if your 6 year old could make the walk school isn't so great for a tired sweaty kid every day.

IF you have a car, living in Cabarete and have your child in the International School in Sosua is just as convienent. Only 5 minutes longer than Casa Linda to the school. You cannot reasonably walk to the school from CL every day. You will pay more for taxis than a cheap car. Check out the bulletin board at the big supermarket in Sosua for notices of cars for sale.

I would suggest that you budget a few thousand for a temp car as well as everything else you are budgeting for. You can't see the country without one unless you want to live your life around public transportation which isn't much better than a cattle car in a lot of cases. There are great cheap busses but that is really only for longer trips. There are those without cars that only take public transportation and highly recommend that. If you have the financial choice get wheels.

I have taken the Caribee Tours bus from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo and it was a lovely inexpensive trip. Comfortable seats and a movie in English. All for about 4 bux us. Cant beat it.

You then have to take cabs all around which is expensive or have someone on the other end pick you up as I did. To truly see the country get a car. Let me try to express myself better, BUY A CAR freakin car and you will be way more happy:)

First two trips to Sosua I didn't rent a car. I wanted to get to know the town and walking is a great way to do this. After that I rented so I could see the whole general area and later the whole general country. I have since bought a car now that I am there more than 100 days a year now and probably closer to 200 days this year.

Scott

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
Car Tip

Thanks for the car tip. I am sure we would get a very cheap car and attempt to use it very little. Having it for medical emergencies, weekly grocery shopping and other touristic usage is a smart idea.

I certainly do not want to live in a place where it is mandatory to survive. I have heard of some form of organized school transportation for our son. I imagine it is a private citizen or parent that offers a seat in their car for monthly $. Not that I consider that very safe unless I know a whole lot more detail.

The financial issue of insurance and upkeep of a car is what I have heard is daunting. I doubt the infrastructure is there for a gas powered golf cart to be any use, especially with the way I have heard locals drive so poorly.

If we lived in a community setting, such as C.L. and knew the neighbors well enough, I would consider chipping in to buy a shared vehicle. Does anyone know if that is a viable idea?

Like having roomates, I can imagine sharing a car would have similar problems. Depends on the users as to how smooth it would go. I shared a 79 VW bug with 8 marines when I was 19. It was a beater, and sometimes not there in the lot, but for the most part it was worth the $15 a month I paid back then plus my own gas as needed.

Any suggestions? Or should this be another thread?

Gary

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You would definitely need a car if renting in Casa Linda. It's only 2 miles to Sosua, but that would be a long scary walk. Taxis will come to your door there, but we only call one if going out at night and drinking alot. The beach is a HARD walk across the highway and through a field. You nor your child would want to be on an unpopulated beach, I wouldn't think. It's more fun to go to the main beaches.

We've thought about the car purchase. We were thinking about buying one, then renting it out to our renters. But you get in to all the liability and we just don't know enough yet to find this viable.

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
Time share a car

Well, I am interested in a transportation solution that may or may not include bearing the cost and responsibility all our own.

Perhaps Mr. Guzman could create a liability document that would be fair to any persons that "time shared" a vehicle. This is of topic of the thread, so I will elaoborate more on this through PM with any interested. We won't be on site full time until March anyway. If we lived in a mostly expatriate gated community, I would think a shared vehicle could be a pretty good arrangement. Insurance policy would be the challenge I think, but Mr Guzman may have an idea when it comes down to it.

Thanks Jan for the insight on walking around C.L. It seems like a good place to look that may suit our needs.

Gary and Kim

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Keep us updated on the "time share" vehicle. I know of 4 families in CL who just go down 3 or 4 times a year - at all different times, so that would be a good idea.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
FYI, wtf2001, the only section Mr. Guzman reads is the legal section. Should you want to ask a question about shared liability, you will need to post it there.