Ruben Blade 12/14/13 concert

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
His name is Ruben Blades.

Thank you for correction Bronxboy.

His music is great. Also remember that he is very talented and accomplished actor, politico and lawyer.

Pedro Navaja and Chica Plastica takes me back to a different era.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
As the story goes, Ruben Blades composed "El Cantante" for himself, but Willie Colon implored him, some say begged him, to let Hector Lavoe have it. As a result, Hector came to be known as "El Cantante" in addition to greater recognition as "La Voz". Hector was roundly also known as "El Rey de la Punctualidad" for his penchant to arrive to his gigs late. Ruben succeeded Hector in Willie's Band (Siembra). Ruben and Hector then went their own ways but collaborated in movies and other ventures. Willie, as did Ruben, went into politics (NYC).

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since i am the only person here who does not have to wear depends yet i like this collaboration with calle 13:
[video=youtube;B0cVKmkYamU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0cVKmkYamU[/video]

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Dear MA, if you're talking about ye olde Ossining Correctional Facility, I've seen it too, from the inside that is. I spent a couple of the best years of my life there. It taught me a lesson. I always thought that we should all be stripped of our freedoms at some point. This way we will be in better control of what comes out of our mouths, etc., etc.

But back to your music appreciation. It is impeccable. Your choice of El Tiburon was sublime. The rhythm of cuban rumba/guaganco, the true root of salsa (guajira, guaracha, charanga, mambo, son montuno, and etc., are all incidental), takes me, as in the case of the YouTube, to my own NYC/PR roots. It's what I would hear in the Bronx playgrounds. It's why I learned latin percussion. It's why I practiced latin dance. Thank God for all of it. And thank you for being someone to relate to. Keep up the good work. I got your back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i please you, MA. you did not want to listen to the music of your parents and neither do i.