Russians Buy Sosua Gym

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Things are looking up at Golden Park Gym now that it has new owners and administration. The second floor, where the free weights and machines are, was repainted over the weekend, and the AC is now on from 8:30-11 or 11:30 am and from 4:30 pm. The morning hours for the AC will be extended if sufficient number of users.

N

naturelover

just been to peruse the two gyms.......the new one is cheaper with better equipment didnt inspect the shower area of the new one but i would think it would be better than golden park

new gym is 500 per month for weights only 700 for full gym area golden park is 600 and 850pesos

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was told by a woman at gym today that the shower area in new gym is a single bathroom for men and women, set up like a bathroom in a home with the toilet and shower in same room. Only one to be used by both sexes.

I'm staying at Golden Park in anticipation of the further improvements to be made there. Also:

1. Though the equipment isn't new, there is plenty of it, with a choice of several machines for each muscle group. I haven't been to new gym yet, but I doubt that it is as well equipped. The Russians say they are going to replace the equipment.

2. Floor space for free weights and machines is much larger at Golden Park, I can tell that just by looking at the outside of the 2 buildings.

With lots of equipment and lots of space, there is plenty of room to move around and less chance of having to wait for a machine, unless you go late in the day when it is the busiest.

3. A/C now being run on a scheduled basis at Golden Park. A/C is important to me as I perform much better and get more from my workout with A/C on.

4. With its high ceilings and many,many windows, and lots of ceiling fans, Golden Park is well ventilated. Even with A/C off, it is noticeably cooler on second floor than outside. I doubt whether this will be true of new gym with lower ceilings.

Each person has to make his own decision. Mine is to stay at Golden Park until I have a really good reason to leave.

I don't see how the new gym can operate for RD$500 per client per month, especially now when there are 2 gyms. They have a huge investment to pay off in building and equipment, employees to pay, utility bills, and A/C, too, if they really intend to provide it. Also taxes and other charges on businesses in the DR.

Vamos a ver.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
ken,
Have they repaired or fixed the treadmil machines at golden peak yet? When we quit going there 6 months ago we had heard that they would repair them soon. We got tired of waiting for the "manana" to come.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ken,
Have they repaired or fixed the treadmil machines at golden peak yet? When we quit going there 6 months ago we had heard that they would repair them soon. We got tired of waiting for the "manana" to come.

Bob K

Bob, I was told yesterday that a technician was there orwould soon be there to fix the machines on the first floor. I'll check on that and get back to you. I don't think I will go today, but I will be going tomorrow and will find out for sure then what is planned. Will get back to you.

Under the old administration, they would never have gotten fixed. But efforts do seem underway to get things in shape and the gym better than before.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Moderator, if the discussion on Russian Mafia continues, can you please move it to a new thread?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
My apologies. I meant a one-off remark, and my interest was not in hijacking the thread. Berzin may have more to add, but for me that aspect of the discussion is done.

Back to fun in the gym....BTW, do you know what the daily rates would be?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
just been to peruse the two gyms.......the new one is cheaper with better equipment didnt inspect the shower area of the new one but i would think it would be better than golden park

new gym is 500 per month for weights only 700 for full gym area golden park is 600 and 850pesos

The new gym is 500RD for the whole gym, not 500-700 as you stated.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As for comparison between the two gyms, I think I should be able to give a valid assessment, as I have been a member of GP for many years and now go to the new gym.

Simply put, no comparison as it stands now. The new gym is hands down better. New equipment, new everything, lower price, better staff.

The showers are much nicer and cleaner than GP also.

Ken: You need to take a look.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken: You need to take a look.

I will take a look, SKY. I'm interested even though not planning to switch. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

As I mentioned in a earlier post, RD$500 for whole gym does not sound like enough to me to pay off investment, salaries of staff, utilities, and A/C if they really intend to have it. I don't think the Russians, mafiosos or not, are going to be pushed out of business by the new gym. If the RD$500 is an inducement to get GP clients to switch, I expect the Russians will counter attack in some way.

I can always switch, but for now I'm staying put, especially if there continues to be A/C when I am there. I would rather use old equipment in an air-conditioned room than new equipment in a room that doesn't have A/C.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Often when gyms just open or switch owners they will offer membersips at a much cheaper rate in the beginning to draw new clientel or keep the current members interested. Once they reach a certain quota, up goes the price.:ermm:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Often when gyms just open or switch owners they will offer membersips at a much cheaper rate in the beginning to draw new clientel or keep the current members interested. Once they reach a certain quota, up goes the price.:ermm:

Good point, Robbie, one I have thought of. I am hoping that is true with Golden Park. It reportedly has the Gold Gym franchise for this area and will be moving the gym in that direction. If so, a price increase is certainly possible. I am hoping that those who stay now will benefit.

N

naturelover

sorry i was responding to sky
i was told 500 for weights and 700 for total gym for one month...i took a note book so i would get it right

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
sorry i was responding to sky
i was told 500 for weights and 700 for total gym for one month...i took a note book so i would get it right

I think I should know as I go there every day. It is 500RD Period.

By the way, the owner already stated that this price will go to 700RD next month and remain there. There is no split pricing. This is for all.

I also heard that GP will have a hefty increase in price, but this is only talk, so who really knows. But as for D"Lois, (the new gym) my info is 100 percent correct.

N

naturelover

pardon me for mentioning it...no need to jump down my throat

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Good point, Robbie, one I have thought of. I am hoping that is true with Golden Park. It reportedly has the Gold Gym franchise for this area and will be moving the gym in that direction. If so, a price increase is certainly possible. I am hoping that those who stay now will benefit.
I'm not sure about Gold's Gyms in the DR but in North America, gyms are dropping the franchise name as soon as their contracts are up which are usually 2-3 years. Apparently Gold's has raised their fees for carrying their name, so much that here in Canada, there are hardly any left.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hey guys, where exactly on Pedro Clisante is this new gym? I was looking for it today but didn't see it nor a sign. I'm not that familiar with the Sosua area but come there often. Would like to check it out as well as Golden Park.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Bob, I was told yesterday that a technician was there orwould soon be there to fix the machines on the first floor. I'll check on that and get back to you. I don't think I will go today, but I will be going tomorrow and will find out for sure then what is planned. Will get back to you.

Under the old administration, they would never have gotten fixed. But efforts do seem underway to get things in shape and the gym better than before.

Ken, not to burst your bubble or at least hope you are not holding your breath, but i was told for a couple of month straight that the technician would be there tomorrow. In true form tomorrow never came, so we never came back.

Bob K