Sad day for Sosua beach - best bar gone...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I tell u for 200 % sure that he won?t build it up again. Maybe a fire in the sand, BBQ, yuca, platano, cooked bananas, plastic broken chairs and no trash cans. Do it the "normal" way.
Can we presume that Tom told you he would not rebuild?
What if he had help?
Might he rebuild then?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dammit, i am upset now. I used to go to this bar all the time. In fact it was the only bar I used to frequent on the beach. I know TOm and he is a great guy. I am so sorry to hear this bad news.
AZB

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Can we presume that Tom told you he would not rebuild?
What if he had help?
Might he rebuild then?

Yes, he told me last night. Of course, it could be a spontaneous reaction. You have to ask him, I am sure he will be around in town now when there is no bar. Maybe you get the chance to ask him when he eats your famous ribs...

He told me earlier today to say thanks to all who cares. He knows burgers, not Internet...

Pictures of the bar from Sosua News

Sos?a-News

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dammit, i am upset now. I used to go to this bar all the time. In fact it was the only bar I used to frequent on the beach. I know TOm and he is a great guy. I am so sorry to hear this bad news.
AZB
Although I don't think I know Tom, it seems quite obvious that he was well liked by many, as was his food.
If he wanted to rebuild and needed help, I bet we could get something together.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, he told me last night. Of course, it could be a spontaneous reaction. You have to ask him, I am sure he will be around in town now when there is no bar. Maybe you get the chance to ask him when he eats your famous ribs...

He told me earlier today to say thanks to all who cares. He knows burgers, not Internet...

Sos?a-News
Then I probably know him, but can't put a face to the name.
Does anyone have the means to get in touch with him to find out if he wants help?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Well

I'll catch hell about this, I know for sure. But I wish they'd all burned down. I don't know who lost what in the 6-tiendita fire, but with the new submarine park, scubadiving area being developed and things developing, I'm sorry for the individuals trying to make a living, but for the greater good, all those places, every one has to go. Tourists go to the beach and are virtually attacked by the vendors from all those places, "buy here, eat here, chairs there", all that. I don't even go to the beach there because there is always such a big hussle. And the owners of the places, locals, foreigners, don't own ANY of it really.
It is one of the most beautiful beaches on the north coast, but unfortunately inundated by a bunch of haitian art pedellers, cheap rum sellers and others who contribute to the low-life image Sosua has. It will change. Burn that shyyte down and bulldoze it tomorrow.
Sorry, but things have to change here. And they are changing.
I wish Tom, or other owners good luck, but you[ve had a good run I guess, I don't know. But the north coast is changing! and I'm backing the change bubba, 100%. Sorry, like i said, I know I'll catch a lot of shyte about this and probablly won't respond, but.............there you go.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There's no reason you should catch shyte for your opinion.
You're right about what you say, although lot's of people find the casetas charming and want them to stay.
There's no pleasing everyone.
I just thought, that because this dude Tom seems to be such a positive factor on the beach, that we might help him.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I'll catch hell about this, I know for sure. But I wish they'd all burned down. I don't know who lost what in the 6-tiendita fire, but with the new submarine park, scubadiving area being developed and things developing, I'm sorry for the individuals trying to make a living, but for the greater good, all those places, every one has to go. Tourists go to the beach and are virtually attacked by the vendors from all those places, "buy here, eat here, chairs there", all that. I don't even go to the beach there because there is always such a big hussle. And the owners of the places, locals, foreigners, don't own ANY of it really.
It is one of the most beautiful beaches on the north coast, but unfortunately inundated by a bunch of haitian art pedellers, cheap rum sellers and others who contribute to the low-life image Sosua has. It will change. Burn that shyyte down and bulldoze it tomorrow.
Sorry, but things have to change here. And they are changing.
I wish Tom, or other owners good luck, but you[ve had a good run I guess, I don't know. But the north coast is changing! and I'm backing the change bubba, 100%. Sorry, like i said, I know I'll catch a lot of shyte about this and probablly won't respond, but.............there you go.

I agree with u, I hate the stupid vendors. I sometimes walk down by the sea, but then the beach chair molesters catch u... Scandinavian bar was on of very, very few places that was kind of nice. Yeah tear down the beach shacks and los Charamicos....mm not that easy... Vuelga Vuelga. For 5 years I have heard that the shacks were going down, nothing has happened

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Hmmm...one of the most beautiful beaches...? You don,t travel the north coast much. What makes Sosua beach great is the little bars and shops, not to mention the Dominican girls in bikinis.
I wish Tom and his folks the best and I hope he starts up again.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Actually I do. But we have an obvious difference of opinion of the beach as well as the rest of the crap down there. To each his own.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Iam heartbroken for you Tom. F***! Definatley the coolest place on the beach , great food , always new babes and Tom is the sweetest guy. He always comes out of the kitchen or gets up from his chair to come over and greet everyone at the table with big smiles and a quick joke. Always checks after the meal to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
As for as the "poster" who said he thinks this is a good thing.
Let's hope when your life's work and dreams go up in flames and you are crushed some idiot like your self doesnt tell you , " Sorry , you might give me shyte but I think this is a good thing" JERK!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Actually I do. But we have an obvious difference of opinion of the beach as well as the rest of the crap down there. To each his own.

I never realized someone could be so miserable in such a beautiful country.
Have you ever taken a walk on a deserted beach along the shore and played your Harp, or just listened to the music of the waves?

Try it sometime.

tambo'

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Sosua Beach is not a deserted beach where you can walk along the shore and hear the music of the waves, let alone your own harp!

I went to Sosua Beach and had a panic attack when the sounds of loud music, the foul odors and the people coming at me from all directions trying to sell something or beg for something got to be too much! It was NOT a pleasant experience for me.

That said, I suppose there are people who might enjoy it, but everyone has their opinion, and tflea just voiced his.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua Beach is not a deserted beach where you can walk along the shore and hear the music of the waves, let alone your own harp!

I went to Sosua Beach and had a panic attack when the sounds of loud music, the foul odors and the people coming at me from all directions trying to sell something or beg for something got to be too much! It was NOT a pleasant experience for me.

That said, I suppose there are people who might enjoy it, but everyone has their opinion, and tflea just voiced his.
I've read mountains of opinions about the casetas on Sosua beach, and there seem to be as many for as against.
It's inevitable that one day they will tear them down, as they are on "stolen land".
In the meantime, those who have casetas there and are a positive aspect of Sosua, are to be commended, and the rest who harass the heck out of tourists, we could do without.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Sos?a-News

What I found amusing (?) about this article was when they said the fire fighters arrived they couldn't put out the fire because they didn't have water. Duh, isn't there an ocean about 100 feet away???

ONLY IN THE DR!

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007

Personally myself and the people I travel with have always considered Sosua one of the biggest sh!tholes in the DR......but hey whatever floats your boat....

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I found that pathetic as well---no water-- but also why in Gods name did it take them a half an hour to get there??? Where were they coming from????
In NYC if the fire department takes longer than 3 minutes people are up in arms!!

Sep 19, 2005
I found that pathetic as well---no water-- but also why in Gods name did it take them a half an hour to get there??? Where were they coming from????
In NYC if the fire department takes longer than 3 minutes people are up in arms!!

are you serious.....it is the dominican republic....I think 30 minutes would be much faster than I would have guessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob