Sad day for Sosua beach - best bar gone...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We had the bomberos (fire department) out to our place last summer. Someone burning slash on the finca behind us lit up a couple of very large trees that were sperading the fire rather quickly. It took them 30 minutes to respond and I was impressed with that and they did come with a pumper truck full of water (leaking badly I might add) right from the eary 1960's. They then proceeded to put out the fire with a 1/2 inch garden hose fixed to the valve on the truck. Rather comical I must admit. I was told that in case of a big fire they "borrow" men and equipment from the Ariport, thus having to close the airport while the men and equipment are on loan.

You gotta love it

Bob K

B

batich

I don think that rebuilding is a good idea. They will burn it too. I feel so sorry for Tom! So many beautiful hours spent on these comfortable benches - the only really comfortable wooden things in the whole beach.
But they will burn it again.

Like I said earlier long time ago - DR is a great place to stay. But enjoy its real beauties - freedom, girls and beach. It has nothing else.And avoid any kind of business or investment here.

I hate people who did it to our favourite place. The Almighty will punish them.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Not So

We had the bomberos (fire department) out to our place last summer. Someone burning slash on the finca behind us lit up a couple of very large trees that were sperading the fire rather quickly. It took them 30 minutes to respond and I was impressed with that and they did come with a pumper truck full of water (leaking badly I might add) right from the eary 1960's. They then proceeded to put out the fire with a 1/2 inch garden hose fixed to the valve on the truck. Rather comical I must admit. I was told that in case of a big fire they "borrow" men and equipment from the Ariport, thus having to close the airport while the men and equipment are on loan.

You gotta love it

Bob K

I hear there are numerous calls to borrow resources from the airport in case of a fire nearby but they do not, will not and cannot close the airport while anything elsewhere burns while flights are coming and/or going according to ICAO standards, which they have to go by, unless they have 'redundant resources', is what I hear.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I hear there are numerous calls to borrow resources from the airport in case of a fire nearby but they do not, will not and cannot close the airport while anything elsewhere burns while flights are coming and/or going according to ICAO standards, which they have to go by, unless they have 'redundant resources', is what I hear.
I have heard of the airport sending one of their fire trucks, but they certainly never close down the airport, as allegated above, and I have to assume that they have more than one truck on site.
When we crashed there a few years back, the emergency crews were out to us in what appeared to be less than one minute.
I was duly impressed.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
ICAO Standards stipulate, I hear, that from firehouse to emergency site be under 3 minutes which is normally surpassed at most airports. I understand there are at least 3 trucks on site, with various pumping capacities to cover any unforeseen circumstances. If one has to go to Maranatha because the local colmado burns it does, I hear, with some regularity, to put out the fire, which is usually a poorly connected 10-gallon bottle of propane that lights up the 'hood for about 30 seconds.!! The streets get excited and then they go home to finish their novela I hear.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If the airport fire department can't get to an airport incident in under three minutes, they might as well be located in Aruba. Even two minutes to cut a path through the burning pool of fuel to the cockpit is an eternity (BTW - that's their first priority, sorry to those sitting in cattle class). There will be nothing left but charred wreckage and body parts if they take longer than three minutes...

Sorry for the graphical commentary but it's just the basic truth in the CFR (Crash, Fire Rescue) or ARF (Airport Rescue & Fire) business.

Gregg

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
We were told by the staff where we stayed to go to Sosua for the day and eat at this bar...it was awesome! a real gem. We liked all the selling on that beach as you dont get it on the other beaches, so its like, we knew it was there and what to expect, so we looked forward to it and had a wonderful day. This Tom fellow really seems to have a wonderful following. Hopefully his friends will show him these posts and he will re-build before our next trip!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hopefully his friends will show him these posts and he will re-build before our next trip!
He is being shown the posts and I can tell you that he is duly moved.
He is rebuilding and we and some of his friends are making donations to help him out.
He deserves it.

Mar 2, 2008
Yes, it has been rebuilt and is better than ever. Tom is still the owner and head cook. He still has the best music on the beach, and his bar still one of the treasures of the North Coast.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Wow Scared the crap out of me!!! I thought something happened again. Girl your 2 years behind on your threads.

Yea I realized that but it was such a sad story with no update as to whether or not he was going to rebuild.

Thanks, I love a happy ending :)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I had lunch there about two weeks ago. I ordered the bratwurst. It was so huge I thought he might have cut it off a donkey.

Reactions: Celt202