Sad day in Santiago

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
DRbill,
It was in fact a very funny post but what has me LMAOROF is the fact that O&C responded to it. Is there a reason for that? Hehehehehe

Sep 20, 2003
Candelier

I was wondering if General Candelier, the possible 2008 Presidential candidate, has spoken about this girl's murder?

Candelier seems to have some popularity based on frustration felt and fear of crime in the country.

What political party is he part of exactly? Is it extreme right wing? Center right?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As I don’t wish the thoughts generated by the OP to fade to far into the recesses of our minds I thought I would throw this out amongst the populace as food for thought.

Underlying causes of crime in the DR. What are they and how can they be combated?

It is my contention that one of the biggest culprits to the increase in crime is the police itself. Besides the fact that a large number of police are the perpetrators of said crimes the fact that they also fail to enforce the existing laws that are on the books leads to the escalation of crime and the de-escalation of much needed revenue for the government coffers.

With the recent increase of robberies and purse snatchings being carried out by 3 people mounted on speedy motorcycles the public has begun to raise an outcry that a law be implemented to outlaw the carrying of 3 people on a motorcycle. Lo and behold we learn in Friday’s DR1 news that such a law, Chapter XIII of Law 253, has been on the books for some time.

It becomes very apparent to the casual observer that if the National Police had been doing their job from the beginning these latest statistics on crime would not be increasing. Also apparent is the fact that the National Police and all its associated organizations are not fulfilling their obligation to protect and serve the public.

The failure of the public sector to question this lack of protection and service comes as a disappointment when the complete pictures of the benefits that can be derived from such services are weighted. The enforcement of the laws serves the general public to include the environmentalists, health officials and a host of other sectors of the general public to include the police themselves.

Let’s break this law enforcement down to understand its benefits to the public. Aside from the expected drop in crime from enforcement you would end up with cleaner air as one example.

If vehicles without proper exhaust systems, already on the books, were cited and forced to repair their systems eventually the DR would acquire cleaner air due to a better smog control.

The enforcement of the helmet law, already on the books, would greatly reduce the number of head and face injuries and death that are associated with the motorcycle accidents in this country. This reduction in major injuries and death would lower the health expenses that are incurred in their treatment.

If vehicles with defective lights, turn signals, tires and other safety discrepancies, already on the books, were forced to repair same then the business sector would see added sales in those products that would be purchased to bring cited vehicles into compliance.

If motorcycles without tags, already on the books, were to be forced to purchase same then the added revenue to the federal coffers would be a benefit to the general public. It is despairing to hear that the federal government has failed to produce license plates for motorcycles for the last four years when you consider the monies that can be generated from their sales.

If citations were issued for littering, already on the books, the end result would be a cleaner DR which would be a benefit to the environmentalists and to the health of the public.

The monies generated from the fines administered to the negligible people and vehicles that commit an infraction to the law would help fill the coffers of the law enforcement agencies thereby allowing them the necessary funds to raise wages and purchase necessary equipment so that they are better able to protect and serve the public. Concerning the issuing of citations I found two articles on that for the electronic age here and here.

In conclusion let me say that the public should be demanding that the police do their job of enforcing the present law in all areas of law enforcement. I realize there are many causes for crime and the elimination of those causes would help reduce the crime rate but in the meantime the enforcement of the existing laws would greatly reduce crime also.

Rick

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
blame verizon, orange and centennial!

of course these companies arent the root of all evil but they sure support connecting cell phones whether the phones are stolen or not!

they all have their little 'representative' cell phone stores and even worse the 'cell phone repair and activation stores'...its there that the companies give incentives to the stores for activation of cell phones ....no matter if the phone was pryed out of the hand of a dead person.

ive had phones stolen from me and according to the companies ..its more or less too bad......no way to track them, no way to block them for good!!!

and why would they want to turn a stolen cell phone into a brick? as long as it gets activated by someone else they will make $$$.

want to stop the deaths and damage due to cell phone robbing? Tell orange, verizon and centennial not to hook up stolen phones!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
junglemonkey said:
of course these companies arent the root of all evil but they sure support connecting cell phones whether the phones are stolen or not!

they all have their little 'representative' cell phone stores and even worse the 'cell phone repair and activation stores'...its there that the companies give incentives to the stores for activation of cell phones ....no matter if the phone was pryed out of the hand of a dead person.

ive had phones stolen from me and according to the companies ..its more or less too bad......no way to track them, no way to block them for good!!!

and why would they want to turn a stolen cell phone into a brick? as long as it gets activated by someone else they will make $$$.

want to stop the deaths and damage due to cell phone robbing? Tell orange, verizon and centennial not to hook up stolen phones!!!

Telephone companies can only block a cell phone if they receive the police receipt of stolen goods from the victims. The process involved in reporting a crime, even the loss of a cell phone, is cumbersome and time consuming. Unless the cell phone is a state-of-the-art, high-priced cell phone, it is safe to say that very few people will go through the trouble of reporting the theft to the police. There are millions of cellphones in the country, most of them are not activitated. If you check the barrios, the pawn shops, it is evident that cell phones, like portions of illegal drugs, have become legal tender in the DR. People pay and are payed with cell phones...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
joel pacheco said:
I was wondering if General Candelier, the possible 2008 Presidential candidate, has spoken about this girl's murder?

Candelier seems to have some popularity based on frustration felt and fear of crime in the country.

What political party is he part of exactly? Is it extreme right wing? Center right?

Exploiting people's frustation and fears is a well-worn gimmick for politicians to obtain support for their agendas. George W. Bush has been using it since 9/11, President Hugo Chavez does it too (impending US invasion), though it invariably ends up with a wolf shepherding the sheep flock...

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
Mirador said:
Telephone companies can only block a cell phone if they receive the police receipt of stolen goods from the victims. The process involved in reporting a crime, even the loss of a cell phone, is cumbersome and time consuming. Unless the cell phone is a state-of-the-art, high-priced cell phone, it is safe to say that very few people will go through the trouble of reporting the theft to the police. There are millions of cellphones in the country, most of them are not activitated. If you check the barrios, the pawn shops, it is evident that cell phones, like portions of illegal drugs, have become legal tender in the DR. People pay and are payed with cell phones...

My point exactly...have you tried to report a stolen cell phone..forget it...all the b.s. you have to go through.....why?.....ok so you wont catch the crook who stole it, forget the police....at least verizon, orange or centennial would have the decency to flag you phone so its useless...but NO!

stolen phones are reactivated/sold...whatever....the cell phone companies dont do anything to stop it..or discourage it.....if a stolen phone could not be activated would the young lady from santiago be alive now?

go to sinagpor....old phones, new phones....have a serial number and cant be activated without one..nothing hi tech....its illegal to do so....your phone gets stolen no one can activate it...its flagged..no police involved, just call your service provider....no one steals cell phones...no one dies..

of course in the DR its toooo hard for the cell companies to do this...or not in their favor?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
junglemonkey said:
My point exactly...have you tried to report a stolen cell phone..forget it...all the b.s. you have to go through.....why?.....ok so you wont catch the crook who stole it, forget the police....at least verizon, orange or centennial would have the decency to flag you phone so its useless...but NO!

stolen phones are reactivated/sold...whatever....the cell phone companies dont do anything to stop it..or discourage it.....if a stolen phone could not be activated would the young lady from santiago be alive now?

go to sinagpor....old phones, new phones....have a serial number and cant be activated without one..nothing hi tech....its illegal to do so....your phone gets stolen no one can activate it...its flagged..no police involved, just call your service provider....no one steals cell phones...no one dies..

of course in the DR its toooo hard for the cell companies to do this...or not in their favor?

Singapore? LOL. Junglemonkey, you are definitely not honoring your moniker. We are far away from Singapur, we are in the jungle... A while back, while driving at night on a road near Azua, I came upon sparks on the road. The sparks came from jumping live high-tension wires strewn across the road from a downed power line. Immediately I got the utility company on my cell phone to report the breakdown. After a long wait, the attendant asked me for my contract number. I told her I didn't have it with me. She said I could not file the report unless I was a customer, and without my contract number there was no way she could verify the fact. Junglemonkey, now take it from there...

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
Why Not 5, 10, 15 Years Ago?

Originally Posted by junglemonkey

Mirador said:
Singapore? LOL. Junglemonkey, you are definitely not honoring your moniker. We are far away from Singapur, we are in the jungle... A while back, while driving at night on a road near Azua, I came upon sparks on the road. The sparks came from jumping live high-tension wires strewn across the road from a downed power line. Immediately I got the utility company on my cell phone to report the breakdown. After a long wait, the attendant asked me for my contract number. I told her I didn't have it with me. She said I could not file the report unless I was a customer, and without my contract number there was no way she could verify the fact. Junglemonkey, now take it from there...

Sinapore, Santo Domingo, TimBukTu....it all easy to do...no high tech required..just some effort.....just to prove my point..from the last time i left a message here....NOW...YOU CAN SEE THE INDOTEL COMMERCIALS...to automatically block your stolen phone so it wont be reconnected....THIS COULD HAVE BEEN DONE YEARS AGO.....report it to indotel..they contact orange, verizon and cennetennial who have all your phone's info...and presto cant hook up a stolen phone (at least for now)....

TRAGIC someone has to die first for this to happen...but thats what i notice here....some well to do rich person has to die then magically a law or measure is taken against whatever the problem was..

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The big publicity and outrage from the population made this possible. Not going to satisfy all but some justice was done.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
vanessa's sister is married to monivio's cousin - am sure this news will bring a little relief to the family, justice has been done...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know if it helps but sometimes even the worst tragedy can result in some good...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The big publicity and outrage from the population made this possible. Not going to satisfy all but some justice was done.
And hopefully, the publicity and the fact that the thugs were caught and prosecuted will deter others from doing the same.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
That beautiful, intelligent young woman lost her life over a cell phone -- what a shame. I hope they suffer every day in that prison for what they did. They will have plenty of years to think about what they did. How senseless.

May they suffer for eternity.

That poor woman and her family.

It just infuriates me!