sad facts about breastfeeding in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed, not as serious as women, but not without some deterioration....

Take it from me, after 60, things are a bit different -- bit being a big understatement
Actually, on rethinking, it was 63 or so when I saw the edge of the cliff for the first time.

But remember, I treat myself to a pretty good life..... clean living works wonders
(do not step in that , Elmer):bandit:

Genes are the largest controlling factor -- IMO

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sure it can. Anything that compromises your fertility is drastic. We live under the impression, for example, that cigarettes are just shredded tobacco in rolled paper. But we dont account for the tar, formaldehyde, nicotine, arsenic and several other proprietary ingredients added to the finished product to "enhance taste and flavoring". And almost ALL of the additives are known to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Look at the food. There are 4 inches of ingredients which compose the food and almost all of it is coloring and preservatives.

Give your home country 20+ years of wearing synthetic clothing made from substances(or treated with dyes) that again, are known to cause cancer in laboratory animals, and determine what their fertility will be, coupled with postponing childbirth for those same 2 decades.

I want to add that Africa is not the place you imagine it to be. Men do smoke like chimneys (women don't in my country) and they smoke the same exact brands found in Europe and the US and the cigarettes are often stronger (Malboro and Dunhill are the preferred brands).

Second, people may not eat processed food but it doesn't mean they eat well. First, The diet is not varied. Plus, they eat things way to greasy (rice swimming in oil is common). The rates of people with high blood pressure and diabetes are very alarming.Also, the tendency is to eat too salty. No one can cook without all sort of cubes and Arome Maggi is also used to flavor the food once served (both are full of MSG). I am guilty of it as well :)

Apr 7, 2014
Your fact are not correct. Most African clothes wore daily are produced overseas and yes, with dyes !!!!
Look up African Wax prints. For a long time, traders would go to England and Netherlands to get the fabrics (the only part done home is the stitching of the clothes itself and the embellishment "broderies"). I have family members in that business so I know what I am talking about. Now, China is also in the market.

African waxprints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Women in West Africa also dye their Bazin (which are clothing that we wear for occasions). While in the past, they may have used natural ones, with the variety of colors nowadays, I highly doubt that they don't use chemical dyes.

what do they say:
Paragraph 5 & 6 in this link Environmental Hazards of Leather | The Leather Industry | Animals Used for Clothing | The Issues | PETA

Azo dyes in imported jeans known to cause cancer removed from Austrailian retailers No Cookies | Herald Sun

Paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and downCANCER inCYTES Magazine

PCB-11 in Yellow Dye Yellow Pigments in Clothing and Paper Contain Long-Banned Chemical - Scientific American

8000 carcinogens in bed linens 8000 Carcinogenic Chemicals Found in Bed Sheets and Pillowcases | EndAllDisease.comEndAllDisease.com

Conventional Dyeing Vs Eco-Friendly Dyeing | I Am Greeny | Green Organic Clothing Pvt. Ltd. | Organic Cotton T-Shirts | Organic Cotton Towels

Textile and Leather Testing | AZO Dyes | PFOS | DMF | REACH SVHC | REACH Restricted Substances | CIRS

Apr 7, 2014
Agreed, not as serious as women, but not without some deterioration....

Take it from me, after 60, things are a bit different -- bit being a big understatement
Actually, on rethinking, it was 63 or so when I saw the edge of the cliff for the first time.

But remember, I treat myself to a pretty good life..... clean living works wonders
(do not step in that , Elmer):bandit:

Genes are the largest controlling factor -- IMO

So you are either: James Brown "Sex Machine" or Gilbert O'Sullivan "Alone again, naturally"

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Don't really get your points.
All I am saying is that African have access to and use all these things except they may be mass produced in China that s all.

All the green, organic stuff is nice, while I don't disagree with it, it is some rich countries stuff, people in developing world have other priorities.

Apr 7, 2014
Don't really get your points.
All I am saying is that African have access to and use all these things except they may be mass produced in China that s all.

All the green, organic stuff is nice, while I don't disagree with it, it is some rich countries stuff, people in developing world have other priorities.

my points are that all those links demonstrate prior evidence that the dyes many companies use to treat their clothes are carcinogenic. And carcinogens can and will inhibit fertility.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
my points are that all those links demonstrate prior evidence that the dyes many companies use to treat their clothes are carcinogenic. And carcinogens can and will inhibit fertility.

Ok, but if these same dyes are used in clothing in Africa since they come from the same place (plus African do wear euro-american clothes !), your point doesn't stand to explain the difference in fertility.

When I say that difference is mostly cultural (i.e a women who marries at 14 without access to birth control will certainly have more children than one who waits till they 35 using birth control).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
since we have drifted a distance from breast feeding ( and my national survey - the physical examination part) my mind started to wander..... in to a practical place.

The advanced aged sperm donor needs to sequester himself in a room and prepare to squeeze out his sample.

As discussed above, arousal and successful accomplishment are difficult enough with a 'live' collaborator after a certain age.
How about a bright room and a ragged old magazine??
I could be in there indefinitely !!!! Woe is me.

Where is the nurse? Get me a volunteer - even a blow-up doll
Where is CCCCologne's 'little black book'?

It would like trying to do it in a fully packed football stadium.....Larry Limp Dick

ozmorena

May 26, 2009
From my observations of my in-laws, I think public breastfeeding is a matter or priopriety. I hope no one gets offended but sometimes Dominican culture can feel a little bit like living in the '50s in terms of attitudes, but then you turn on local tv and it's a bit like the 70s with the subjectification of women, posing in bikinis and so forth. But I don't want to detract too much from the subject here other than to tie in the fact that the breast is very much a sexual thing, so to display your breasts and use them for what they are mainly intended has gotten lost here as is the case in many countries. In Australia, breastfeeding in public is getting more and more support. I think the older generation can feel uncomfortable with breastfeeding in public. It was not the done thing in their day.

I think that also it is an issue of re-education. Formula companies have been pushing their product for so long. Dominicans may not realise or have been taught to believe that formula is better.

A lot of the time it is also a case of the mothers having to work and leave their child in care. Maybe they may not be able to afford breast pumps. I am not sure of how much they cost here. And for the more affluent, most child care is with a nanny. So the low statistic would make sense.

Breastfeeding is such a beautiful thing between a mother and her child. Some women have issues with breastfeeding and it doesn't make them any less a mother. I hope though that if a woman can breastfeed there child, especially for the first year there are many benefits beyond measure.

ozmorena

May 26, 2009
Derfish, Wow, that is interesting. I think wet nursing would be an issue these days with hygiene. I think personally it would be great thing to re-introduce with some sort of system of health registration and testing. I think some people donate breastmilk actually but again that is an "if you can afford it" situation currently.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Derfish, Wow, that is interesting. I think wet nursing would be an issue these days with hygiene. I think personally it would be great thing to re-introduce with some sort of system of health registration and testing. I think some people donate breastmilk actually but again that is an "if you can afford it" situation currently.

there you are:
Buy, Sell and Donate Breast Milk at Only The Breast. Our online breast milk classifieds makes sharing, buying, selling & donating breast milk possible. : Breast Milk Classifieds Buy Sell or Donate Breast Milk

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My last child was born when I was 57, ten years ago, but then she really doesn't look much like me, or my other children!
Those "Old Guys" you mentioned may want to get a "DNA" test if they want to be sure!
I don't CARE!
She's MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife had difficulties breastfeeding our first two children and gave up after a few weeks, with our third child she made it, and, adviced by a lady from 'la liga de la leche' here in DR, she kept breastfeeding until he was 14 months old. Our conclusion, that was way too much. The people of 'la liga de la leche' probably do a good and necessary work, but they tend to go to the other extreme.

Now, with the fourth on the way, she plans on breastfeeding for 6 months max.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Nature's Way" is to breastfeed for much longer than 6 months.
"Human Nature" is to breastfeed for MUCH LESS!
Six months is a good compromise, as at 6 months the babies own immune system is producing, and "Mom's" antibodies are not as important.
Most/Many children in the DR are anemic due to poor dietary choices by their parents.
Sometimes for economic reasons, sometimes out of ignorance, more often BOTH!
An iron suppliment is a good choice for kids here.
We use "Cromatonbic Ferro" several times a month.
It comes as a liquid, tastes sweet, so, as Dominicanitos, the like it!
I also give them a "Children's Vitamin" every few days
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
La lactancia exclusiva no es prioridad para las madres dominicanas - DiarioLibre.com

only 7% of dominican children receive mother's milk as exclusive food during first 6 months of life.

the number is so low because most kids are at least supplemented with powder milk, the older they are the less probable is they will be breastfed.

Adding to this four year old thread, as it seems that the situation has not exactly been, at least completely, rectified (mods feel free to move to a new thread if this is not okay):

From today's DR1 news:

"Only 38% breastfeed at birth
Breastfeeding culture at birth in the Dominican Republic is very low, estimated at 38%, according to the recent Capture the Moment report by Unicef.

Commercial baby milk brands are known to have penetrated the market, and their representatives work hard at convincing new mothers that their products are better than maternal milk. Also affecting breastfeeding is the high C-Section birth rate in the country at around 56% of births, reducing the possibility of mothers feeding their child right after birth.

The regional Latin American and Caribbean average of 52%, according to the Unicef Capture the Moment report. "

Based on my experience, it's not just the baby milk brands, my wife was practically forced to give (almost exclusively) powder milk by the nurses and even by the doctor who received our first son back in 2013, in a private clinic. The more powder milk I asked for her, the happier everyone (except my wife) seemed to be, and this was the medical staff in question. Granted, they also charged for that, which might well be the reason... Of course, money is more important than healthy nutrition...

It wasn't until we got home after about 2 days that she began properly breastfeeding, again, not because she did not want. Our first son was breastfeeded until he was about 24 months old.

In fact, I've not exactly understood, how the powder milk brands are at fault at this? Nobody is forced to buy anything, and the mother should be able to make a decision of what to feed the child?

Our second son was born in Europe, and the practice was the complete opposite, she was denied any powder milk in the first couple of days, by the medical staff.