Safe Deposit Boxes and Storing A Passport

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks. I'm working to get on top of that. She has a metal something on her door, but I want more. I want windows, bars or roll downs, etc.
Can anyone tell me their thoughts on flood lights, cameras, alarms (louder than a disco.....?), dogs, guns, weapons, etc?

And what if the people who break in are cops?

Why move to DR then?

Alcatraz Island seems like a better choice.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks. I'm working to get on top of that. She has a metal something on her door, but I want more. I want windows, bars or roll downs, etc.
Can anyone tell me their thoughts on flood lights, cameras, alarms (louder than a disco.....?), dogs, guns, weapons, etc?

And what if the people who break in are cops?

Getting metal grills and metal security doors custom made is commonplace in DR and not too pricey either. It is a must if you live outside of a secure building complex.

I would go for external lighting at night and for that you need to ensure you have backup power from an inverter with batteries. These won't be good enough normally to power fridge, ceiling fans and a/c though.

I am no fan of house alarms. Perhaps a personal panic alarm might be better. Dogs are good but can be poisoned.

The point of greatest risk will be when entering your property with decent security and the risk is the 'set up'.

I think you ought to plan a short trip to check out the proposed living arrangements and if you don't like it go find better all before a longer term move. She should be interested in your personal well being so should accept this idea.

Jan 9, 2004
It's also why we don't have a safe in DR, and don't want one. Once word gets around that you have a safe, 'they' imagine all sorts of valuables are in there. I have home invasion fears.

Let me offer a different perspective.

You do want a safe.....a decent size one (not the hotel room junk)......and no you do not want people to know it.

Here is why.

Burglars tend to want to spend as little time in a burglarized home as possible.....for obvious reasons.

When you buy your safe, put it out of sight from people who are invited to your home.....yet have it fairly visible in a bedroom or closet. The idea is you want a burglar to find it fairly quickly upon entry.

Do not put anything valuable in it, but rather put heavy objects...brick, stone, metal etc., inside. The heavier the better....you want a burglar to concentrate all their time and energy on this decoy.

By doing that, they are far more inclined to believe they have the mother lode, concentrate their efforts on it, and/or to want to get the safe off of the premises. (Note: do not leave tools near or around...lest they try to crack it open in the house. You want it heavy enough that one person could move it, but that it really needs two people to pick up and move.

I received this advice from a security consultant years ago. While it might not be foolproof.....it sure makes sense.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 7, 2016
Wall/floor safes are totally useless in the D.R. Our's was ripped-off the wall of the bedroom closet and carted-out the laundry room window one time while we were in Santo Domingo for the weekend...luckily, our passports were in our posession and the only thing they got away with was some cash and the title to the condo! Had insurance that covered the loss and moved-on...now NO SAFE, valuables and case are either with us or deliberately left in plain view where nobody would logically look, especially after dark.

Bystander

Sep 1, 2014
Hi, I'm planning to stay in the DR and use Scotiabank. I'm Canadian. Can I rent a safety deposit box to store my passport?
The process to open a bank account with another Dominican bank, without a cedula, based on reading threads on DR1., is long and frustrating.
I don't think buying and transporting a safe is an option here.

The Pac-Safe travel safe is attached by cable to a solid foundation. I've used it and found it easy.

http://www.travelsmith.com/pacsafe-...4&cadevice=t&gclid=CK7m5fTXqM4CFcdZhgodafEMkQ

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Several times after I left my hotel to walk some place, one or more of my Dominican native friends would say, "Put the phone away!
Don't show it!," and I was only going down the block.

Things can happen quickly while going down the block. Sounds to me like you have some good
people giving you some sound advice.

I?ve been living in nothing but barrios since I moved down here. The best way to hide anything
down here from anyone is to hide it in plainsite. Passports, money, jewelry, ect is put in a small
ziplock bag then tossed into the kitchen trash can between the trash bag and the actual trash can.
Problem solved.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Getting metal grills and metal security doors custom made is commonplace in DR and not too pricey either. It is a must if you live outside of a secure building complex.

I would go for external lighting at night and for that you need to ensure you have backup power from an inverter with batteries. These won't be good enough normally to power fridge, ceiling fans and a/c though.

I am no fan of house alarms. Perhaps a personal panic alarm might be better. Dogs are good but can be poisoned.

The point of greatest risk will be when entering your property with decent security and the risk is the 'set up'.

I think you ought to plan a short trip to check out the proposed living arrangements and if you don't like it go find better all before a longer term move. She should be interested in your personal well being so should accept this idea.

Thanks for your reply.

She has shown a lot of concern for my personal well being.

We're searching for living arrangements after I arrive, and I've emphasized security to her. Cameras are good and seem pointless because it's after the fact and I don't trust the police.
So, they're more for centralized monitoring like a jewelry store.

Basic security means not having habits, not being predictable, having eyes on the back of your head. I don't like to say it, but inviting people
over should be minimal or not be done. A lot of burgleries benefit from inside information - repairmen, installers, couriers, maids, housekeepers, contractors, "friends of friends".

I agree with your point about the greatest risk.

I like your advice.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks for your reply.

We're searching for living arrangements after I arrive, and I've emphasized security to her. Cameras are good and seem pointless because it's after the fact and I don't trust the police.

Basic security means not having habits, not being predictable, having eyes on the back of your head. I don't like to say it, but inviting people
over should be minimal or not be done. A lot of burgleries benefit from inside information - repairmen, installers, couriers, maids, housekeepers, contractors, "friends of friends".

I like your advice.

Are you from NY?

Great notes there.

having eyes on the back of your head? The mind....................THE THIRD EYE

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Let me offer a different perspective.

You do want a safe.....a decent size one (not the hotel room junk)......and no you do not want people to know it.

Here is why.

Burglars tend to want to spend as little time in a burglarized home as possible.....for obvious reasons.

When you buy your safe, put it out of sight from people who are invited to your home.....yet have it fairly visible in a bedroom or closet. The idea is you want a burglar to find it fairly quickly upon entry.

Do not put anything valuable in it, but rather put heavy objects...brick, stone, metal etc., inside. The heavier the better....you want a burglar to concentrate all their time and energy on this decoy.

By doing that, they are far more inclined to believe they have the mother lode, concentrate their efforts on it, and/or to want to get the safe off of the premises. (Note: do not leave tools near or around...lest they try to crack it open in the house. You want it heavy enough that one person could move it, but that it really needs two people to pick up and move.

I received this advice from a security consultant years ago. While it might not be foolproof.....it sure makes sense.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I had the same idea. Better yet, fill the house or apartment with decoys. Buy safes in bulk and put ten of them in there - imagine their eyes pop out of their heads.
"We found a bank !"
They get home, open them, and find plantains and salami inside. :)

Kidding aside, the brick-inside-a-safe idea was on my mind but it could back fire. They could return with more determination and target you specifically for retaliation.
I doubt it, but who knows?

Good advice about tools.

A cop said the average home invasion doesn't last more than 2 to 3 minutes. Some are shorter. The advice for the suburbs is no shrubs covering basement windows,
flood lighting (motion detection), maintain a field of view from the street, no trees blocking the front door, etc. All of it applies here.
But again, this advice did not come from a Dominican cop for the DR. This was advice in Canada or the U.S.

They'll go for the highest re-sale value items. Television, fan, electronics, household appliances, etc. A quick peso.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
The Pac-Safe travel safe is attached by cable to a solid foundation. I've used it and found it easy.

http://www.travelsmith.com/pacsafe-...4&cadevice=t&gclid=CK7m5fTXqM4CFcdZhgodafEMkQ

Thanks for the link. I use Pac-Safe and I'm happy with their products. Not their prices.

But I'd like to point out, a power tool, or a wire cutter or a really good knife, and bye-bye security.

I think. I don't know how effective Pac-Safe is with product testing. I asked a salesperson once about the company, after she said the company sent a sales rep. to their retail store,
and I asked: "Did Pac-Safe test their products in front of you with a knife?" "Uhmmm....no." "Do they test their products against really good knives?"
"Uhmmmm, I dunno."

Go with security by obscurity here, and use really unexpected hiding places, like CristoRey in this thread here, between the actual trash bag and the actual trash can.

The weakest security point tends to be the human factor. Habits, routines, idiosyncracies.
The solution is stand in areas where there are cameras, always go towards crowds, eat in public places, stand with your back to a wall, etc.
But many, if not most, don't like to think like that.

I'm off-topic. I went from personal home security to public physical security. Oops.

One last thing. When every one knows you're not home......those timers connected to lamps can come in handy for night use.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for the link. I use Pac-Safe and I'm happy with their products. Not their prices.

But I'd like to point out, a power tool, or a wire cutter or a really good knife, and bye-bye security.

I think. I don't know how effective Pac-Safe is with product testing. I asked a salesperson once about the company, after she said the company sent a sales rep. to their retail store,
and I asked: "Did Pac-Safe test their products in front of you with a knife?" "Uhmmm....no." "Do they test their products against really good knives?"
"Uhmmmm, I dunno."

Go with security by obscurity here, and use really unexpected hiding places, like CristoRey in this thread here, between the actual trash bag and the actual trash can.

The weakest security point tends to be the human factor. Habits, routines, idiosyncracies.
The solution is stand in areas where there are cameras, always go towards crowds, eat in public places, stand with your back to a wall, etc.
But many, if not most, don't like to think like that.

I'm off-topic. I went from personal home security to public physical security. Oops.

One last thing. When every one knows you're not home......those timers connected to lamps can come in handy for night use.

Yeah, assuming there is electricity :laugh::laugh:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks for your reply.

I like your advice.

I do speak from personal experience, having co habited with my ex esposa in a small pueblo in the campo north of Santo Domingo for many years. Retrospectively thinking it was not the safest environment for the only gringo in a very large radius and it wasn't short on violent incidents robberies and the drug delinquency. I made sure the house with garages was secure with fencing, metal doors and grills and good security lighting and varied my diary. But it did not stop me partaking my time in the pueblo, it's colmados and walking all around including into the lovely campo around often alone. I didn't have a security safe either for the reason that it is unlikely to protect your documents from being taken albeit in a closed box or opened up on demand under duress.

But when the thieves rip out all the overhead cabling to your home and all neighbors one night when their was a power cut, you realize that you can't plan for everything and there are better options.......safer places in DR to live.

It's away from the security box topic but relevant to you and heat. Have you discussed water security of supply with your lady?

Supplies can be problematic in some areas and the norm is to have a 55 gallon barrel of water in the shower as back up. My advice is to ensure you have an elevated 500 gallon tank or more. A cistern with electric pump is of little use in a power cut when you need cooling down!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I had the same idea. Better yet, fill the house or apartment with decoys. Buy safes in bulk and put ten of them in there - imagine their eyes pop out of their heads.
"We found a bank !"
They get home, open them, and find plantains and salami inside. :)

Kidding aside, the brick-inside-a-safe idea was on my mind but it could back fire. They could return with more determination and target you specifically for retaliation.
I doubt it, but who knows?

Good advice about tools.

A cop said the average home invasion doesn't last more than 2 to 3 minutes. Some are shorter. The advice for the suburbs is no shrubs covering basement windows,
flood lighting (motion detection), maintain a field of view from the street, no trees blocking the front door, etc. All of it applies here.
But again, this advice did not come from a Dominican cop for the DR. This was advice in Canada or the U.S.

They'll go for the highest re-sale value items. Television, fan, electronics, household appliances, etc. A quick peso.

All these ideas with placing rocks in safes make me laugh. Same about 2-3 minutes quick burglaries - well, maybe if you are lucky. When a friend's place was robbed the burglars knew very well the family was away, so they got in, and without any rush took away all of value: appliances, electronics etc. They they helped themselves to the food in the fridge and celebrated their success with some wine. No rush whatsoever. Then, if you are not so lucky, they will enter when you are home, tie you up and you will give them all keys and codes from safes hoping they won't kill you afterwards. Finding a bunch of rocks in a safe will definitely not improve the mood of the burglars, they will just torture you some more to get to "the real safe". I would rather have something like a thousand bucks and some trinkets there and hope they will be happy and leave.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
when I was 5 0r 6 my mom told me she had eyes in the back of her head. I checked when she was sleeping. She later said they only open when I'm naughty. freaked me out for a long time

Are you from NY?

Great notes there.

having eyes on the back of your head? The mind....................THE THIRD EYE

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Security is a function of layers. You put up a fence or a wall to make it difficult/inconvenient for someone to be able to stand next to your house. You install bars to make it difficult /inconvenient for someone to kick in the door. Usually people get a dog to bark when someone drops over the wall or starts tinkering with the window or door.

This gives you ample time to level your escopeta and blow them 25 feet backwards as they slither in, if you are home. If you are not home, then having a safe can be a deterrent. However, we need to define what constitutes a safe. Ladrones are stupid people with not much going for them. They don't have the smarts or the equipment to open a real safe. A "hotel style" wall safe is not a real safe. It is a box with a key or combination that is meant to deter criminals from expending the time and effort to open it, like the chamber maid, or the maintenace guy who is there to fix the running toilet while you are at breakfast.

If your wall safe is not completely embedded in the wall, and secured to the concrete with 5 inch lag bolts, sure it can be pried off and easily carried away. If your safe can be carried by one or two people, it's not a real safe. A real safe is 650+ lbs, it can't be carried by three or 4 people. If by some miracle or the use of a crane, the ladrones manage to get it into the back of a pickup or van, that vehicles front wheels won't be touching the ground.

If you want to be able to secure your property in a safe, then don't get a Lada-esque safe and expect it to perform its function as if it were a Mercedes.

As for a home invasion scenario, see above. Your layers should provide you amble time to be ready to repel entry even if it is 3:00am and you are fast asleep when your dog starts barking. If you are not home, who cares, you know your safe will still be there when you get back.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Anyone familiar with the Lomas Mironas area? There is one residential area, started by a Swiss couple, that appears to be well run and has a high degree of security. High walls, many armed guards patrolling the area constantly at night, lots of street lighting, etc. I've looked at a property here and the price has just dropped significantly. I like the location between Sosua and Cabarete. I also have the option of renting the place before I buy it and the monthly fees are very low.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I do speak from personal experience, having co habited with my ex esposa in a small pueblo in the campo north of Santo Domingo for many years. Retrospectively thinking it was not the safest environment for the only gringo in a very large radius and it wasn't short on violent incidents robberies and the drug delinquency. I made sure the house with garages was secure with fencing, metal doors and grills and good security lighting and varied my diary. But it did not stop me partaking my time in the pueblo, it's colmados and walking all around including into the lovely campo around often alone. I didn't have a security safe either for the reason that it is unlikely to protect your documents from being taken albeit in a closed box or opened up on demand under duress.

But when the thieves rip out all the overhead cabling to your home and all neighbors one night when their was a power cut, you realize that you can't plan for everything and there are better options.......safer places in DR to live.

It's away from the security box topic but relevant to you and heat. Have you discussed water security of supply with your lady?

Supplies can be problematic in some areas and the norm is to have a 55 gallon barrel of water in the shower as back up. My advice is to ensure you have an elevated 500 gallon tank or more. A cistern with electric pump is of little use in a power cut when you need cooling down!

Water security. We have not discussed this. I believe she has water delivered by truck.

When I was in the DR there was a water cooler. Two deliveries a day.
I used to make shopping trips in the DR and come home with those 4 litre dasani bottles. I thought it was no big deal
until carrying two or three of those in the humidity and sun got to me. Never again.

An elevated 500 gallon tank could be a luxury we don't have. Most of the population in the DR does not have a fridge.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Any one here have an estimate on the cost of a quality, new or used, water cooler?

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
All these ideas with placing rocks in safes make me laugh. Same about 2-3 minutes quick burglaries - well, maybe if you are lucky. When a friend's place was robbed the burglars knew very well the family was away, so they got in, and without any rush took away all of value: appliances, electronics etc. They they helped themselves to the food in the fridge and celebrated their success with some wine. No rush whatsoever. Then, if you are not so lucky, they will enter when you are home, tie you up and you will give them all keys and codes from safes hoping they won't kill you afterwards. Finding a bunch of rocks in a safe will definitely not improve the mood of the burglars, they will just torture you some more to get to "the real safe". I would rather have something like a thousand bucks and some trinkets there and hope they will be happy and leave.

I'm starting a new thread. Gun ownership.