Safe Deposit Boxes and Storing A Passport

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Anyone familiar with the Lomas Mironas area? There is one residential area, started by a Swiss couple, that appears to be well run and has a high degree of security. High walls, many armed guards patrolling the area constantly at night, lots of street lighting, etc. I've looked at a property here and the price has just dropped significantly. I like the location between Sosua and Cabarete. I also have the option of renting the place before I buy it and the monthly fees are very low.

Can you please tell me more about this residential area? Phone numbers, street name?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Can you please tell me more about this residential area? Phone numbers, street name?

Don't have phone numbers or actual street names. It's on the right hand side about half way up the main road. The main road has a mixture of gated and ungated areas. This particular one caught my eye because of the high natural stone wall surrounding it and the strictly controlled security gate.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Lots of threads discussing pistol packing gringos in the DR. Good luck.

Gun ownership in the DR is *not* a route I want to take, especially when I'm a gringo and especially when I'm still on the learning curve.

What about hiring a private security guard? Only for night. Is that prohibitively expensive and/or does it scream "we have something valuable inside"?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Gun ownership in the DR is *not* a route I want to take, especially when I'm a gringo and especially when I'm still on the learning curve.

What about hiring a private security guard? Only for night. Is that prohibitively expensive and/or does it scream "we have something valuable inside"?

Gun ownership in the DR is expensive and a lengthy process for non citizens. I'm not sure but I don't think you can own a gun unless your have your temporary citizenship card. Also be aware that if you shoot a Dominican citizen, for any reason whatsoever, you will end up in jail and won't see daylight until you pay the lawyer, police, judge, and most likely, the family. Not a good plan to pursue. I have friends who hire guards for night security. The caliber and training of guards varies greatly here. Check it out throughly before you decide to hire one.

I don't have to worry about security, electricity, maintainence, or groceries, for that matter. I stay in a resort for the winter. $40 a day for AI fees and I don't have to shovel snow back in Canada.

Last edited:

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Gun ownership in the DR is expensive and a lengthy process for non citizens. I'm not sure but I don't think you can own a gun unless your have your temporary citizenship card. Also be aware that if you shoot a Dominican citizen, for any reason whatsoever, you will end up in jail and won't see daylight until you pay the lawyer, police, judge, and most likely, the family. Not a good plan to pursue. I have friends who hire guards for night security. The caliber and training of guards varies greatly here. Check it out throughly before you decide to hire one.

I don't have to worry about security, electricity, maintainence, or groceries, for that matter. I stay in a resort for the winter. $40 a day for AI fees and I don't have to shovel snow back in Canada.

Thanks.