Safe to travel to Haiti as an American?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I've just looked through this discussion and didn't understand why it can be dangerous to visit Haiti?

My google fu came up with this, similar advice as posted earlier in this thread.

Reconsider travel to Haiti due to crime, civil unrest, and kidnapping.

Protests, tire burning, and road blockages are frequent and unpredictable. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common, and incidents of kidnapping have occurred. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents, and emergency response, including ambulance service, is limited or non-existent.

Source https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My google fu came up with this, similar advice as posted earlier in this thread.

Reconsider travel to Haiti due to crime, civil unrest, and kidnapping.

Protests, tire burning, and road blockages are frequent and unpredictable. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common, and incidents of kidnapping have occurred. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents, and emergency response, including ambulance service, is limited or non-existent.

Source https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

It has been in the news for a length of time now. Whether "news" networks consider it "newsworthy" is another story. Regardless, it is a very unsafe place for foreigners of any pedigree.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I have been and had a nice experience. Things can change very quickly there and frankly it's not cheap for decent standard. I'm glad that I have been but have no desire to go back. The poverty is jarring

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have been and had a nice experience. Things can change very quickly there and frankly it's not cheap for decent standard. I'm glad that I have been but have no desire to go back. The poverty is jarring

In which town did you stay?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....been to Haiti before these latest problems....yes go now but you will be looked at like the turkey at Christmas.........Doc............

Sep 22, 2009
Im still confused as to why normal humans would want to visit Haiti. Maybe the Clintons and illuminati have interest but it really sucks as a place. Just saying,

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Im still confused as to why normal humans would want to visit Haiti. Maybe the Clintons and illuminati have interest but it really sucks as a place. Just saying,

The infrastructure sucks, true. The government sucks, true. The people? They don't suck, true.

BTW, I'm having a good time here in Cap right now after going thru a bus ride from hell to get here. Also, I'm not dead, but I can't medically certify that until I get back on Monday.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com

Maybe I'm not 'normal' but I really like Haiti....yes, it's tougher than the DR but a more interesting country imo.
But if you're not much of a traveller and just want an easy life then prob not the place for you

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Great fun as long as everything works out. Lots of ways for it not to work out these days. The country really isn't a viable tourist destination. Not that long ago, tourists at a hotel were trapped there as they couldn't move about the country and get to the airport for their flight home due to civil unrest.

A single guy with no family responsibilities and a carefree outlook may well get off on the thrill of a being among destitute people in a destitute sh---hole country for a period of time, playing the odds and coming out on top. It doesn't always work out that way and women who get nervous crossing a dark Walmart parking lot have no business being in Haiti. There is no quick help if needed.

Anyone can go. Without a compelling reason to do so, it is not smartest choice they could make.

Sep 22, 2009
Maybe I'm not 'normal' but I really like Haiti....yes, it's tougher than the DR but a more interesting country imo.
But if you're not much of a traveller and just want an easy life then prob not the place for you

Ive been everywhere . Its not the place for anyone. I guess Syria.