Safest city/region in the DR

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Yes, if you wanna cower in fear you can do that where ever you are now and don't need to come here to do it. I feel no fear anywhere in this country.
Der Fish

Switzerland. I don't have any immediate plans to move the the DR. I was merely asking out of curiosity due to the many recent threads about violent crime. I think it's quite a stretch to consider me paranoid for making that post, but if I were to move to the DR I would definitely consider the regional crime rates when making a decision about where to go. That's all.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Regional murders

Provincia Total 2010

Total 2474

Distrito Nacional 399
Azua 36
Baoruco 25
Barahona 43
Dajab?n 12
Duarte 76
El?as Pi?a 12
El Seibo 19
Espaillat 33
Independencia 11
La Altagracia 93
La Romana 62
La Vega 85
Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez 23
Monte Cristi 29
Pedernales 4
Peravia 58
Puerto Plata 62
Hermanas Mirabal 19
Saman? 20
San Crist?bal 173
San Juan 59
San Pedro Macor?s 73
S?nchez Ram?rez 31
Santiago 220
Santiago Rodr?guez 11
Valverde 29
Monse?or Nouel 49
Monte Plata 40
Hato Mayor 15
San Jos? de Ocoa 4
Santo Domingo 649

All of the crime data is available from the National Statistics Office

Oficina Nacional de Estad?stica (ONE) :: Publicaciones

Matilda

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't feel like I am living in a warzone. I just try to be more cautious or alert just like when I took my wife and kid to NYC from NJ. It isn't horrifying place to live if you don't dress like a walking jewelry store or pretend to be walking ATM machines waving wad of cash around.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Safety you say? Lets not forget the number one and two safest cities in the DR. Number one of course is Sosua followed (at a distance) by Cabarete. Biggest dangers in Cab are the highway at all times and the ocean on rough days.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Can someone explain ('cause I'm too lazy to look it up) why el Distrito Nacional would be less than Santo Domingo? I thought, that Santo Domingo addresses are in "el Distrito Nacional", which I thought made it kind of like a province, which would make it larger, not smaller than Santo Domingo.

From this list, I'd guess that Pedernales and San Jose de Ocoa would be the "safest". But I can't imagine Pedernales being on many "short list" for expats.

Regional murders

Provincia Total 2010

Total 2474

Distrito Nacional 399
Azua 36
Baoruco 25
Barahona 43
Dajab?n 12
Duarte 76
El?as Pi?a 12
El Seibo 19
Espaillat 33
Independencia 11
La Altagracia 93
La Romana 62
La Vega 85
Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez 23
Monte Cristi 29
Pedernales 4
Peravia 58
Puerto Plata 62
Hermanas Mirabal 19
Saman? 20
San Crist?bal 173
San Juan 59
San Pedro Macor?s 73
S?nchez Ram?rez 31
Santiago 220
Santiago Rodr?guez 11
Valverde 29
Monse?or Nouel 49
Monte Plata 40
Hato Mayor 15
San Jos? de Ocoa 4
Santo Domingo 649

All of the crime data is available from the National Statistics Office

Oficina Nacional de Estad?stica (ONE) :: Publicaciones

Matilda

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Been living here (Santiago) for 3 months, and, thank God, no incidences to me or my family. I am Dominican, was born here but moved to NY young. Came back to enjoy the weather and family. The truth is that DR is changed for the worst drastically; delinquents are becoming more and more brazen. Before they used to rob a house at night, when no one was home; now they rob it in pure day light becuase they benefit from the element of surprise. The sad part is that it doesn't seem Danilo's government cares about the current situation. They keep mentioning stuff but it never devolpes. For example; the vice president suggested a new law be passed that prohibit two passengers on motorbikes; the director of AMET agreed with her, but nothing ever developed from that. Since it doesn't affect them directly; they just dont care.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I ve moved over from switzerland to a small village where my wife family stays. Here in the countryside I ve never had any problems directly, but bigger towns are a bit risky, same as everywhere I suppose. I come from geneva where things have changed considerbly over the last 15, 20 years for the worst......I live in a nice house so Im careful, but I used to be as well in Ge so.......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Can someone explain ('cause I'm too lazy to look it up) why el Distrito Nacional would be less than Santo Domingo? I thought, that Santo Domingo addresses are in "el Distrito Nacional", which I thought made it kind of like a province, which would make it larger, not smaller than Santo Domingo.

From this list, I'd guess that Pedernales and San Jose de Ocoa would be the "safest". But I can't imagine Pedernales being on many "short list" for expats.

Other way around. Distrito Nacional is part of Santo Domingo Province hence the province is larger. 1.5 million people in the National District and nearly 3 million in Santo Domingo province

Provinces of the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is a lot of petty crime bordering on violent. When you have such a wide rift between the have and have nots this is going to happen. When you got nothin' you got nothin' to lose.

LTSteve

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It would be interesting to split these numbers up by exact location and social circles. I bet most of these cases are happening in the poorer barrios and lots of them are "crap kills crap"etc..

Example for Bavaro: I am convinced there is more crime in "El ojo de Friusa" than in PC Village or PB. Would I want to live in Friusa or spend my time there? Doubtful...

I have to admit that I am really surprised by those murder numbers.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Switzerland. I don't have any immediate plans to move the the DR. I was merely asking out of curiosity due to the many recent threads about violent crime. I think it's quite a stretch to consider me paranoid for making that post, but if I were to move to the DR I would definitely consider the regional crime rates when making a decision about where to go. That's all.

SIR!!! Can I call you sir? It is an honor to reply to a man from the BEST country in the world. Your country is the capital of the world in regards to "extraordinary timepieces" Your country and its persuit of greatness in producing an object just as great as the first "U Boat" blows my mind. I refuse to eat a cheesebuger with American cheese, out of respect for the great land you call home. Only SWISS cheese for this guy!!! The next time you are out give anybody you see a hug for for me.

Now for your thread: Look at it like this when Dominicans protect a home and some expats they go through a numbers of steps:

1. Dog
2. Guard
3. Alarm
4. Bars on windows and doors
5. ALWAYS keep someone in the home
6. make sure you neigbors are looking out for your home
7. Don't allow people from the "barrio" in your home LOL

When you pay for a very expensive home you would think you and your family would be pretty safe, but if you drive in some of the affleunt places in DR you will see a guard sitting on a chair not guarding a bank, city hall, or any other government building but a HOUSE and if that does not show you the level of crime in DR.

A man can allow is eyes to mislead him on many different circumstances, but this is not one of them, if you eyes see MANY deterrences from people because they do not want to be a victim, then this is the one time your eyes are telling the truth. Bars on windows are a DEAD GIVEAWAY on the level of property crime in a paticular area.

Having a locked car or home is just not enough security in the Dominican Republic.

As for murders, rapes and assults nothing can be done to prevent these type of crimes anywhere in the world. 9 times out of 10 when a person is going to rob you they have decided way before they actually assult if they are going to let you live or not.

Enjoy DR what it was meant for fun in the sun, R&R, and the DR culture, but this place is not SWITZERLAND and it never will be. Vacation in DR as much as you want but keep the Switzerland as your home.

BTW Swiss Army cologne is one of my favorites scents LOL

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
But if you want to feel safe and HAPPY 24/7 in DR, Casa de Campo. Way TOO pricey for my blood but it is rather safe.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It would be interesting to split these numbers up by exact location and social circles. I bet most of these cases are happening in the poorer barrios and lots of them are "crap kills crap"etc..

Example for Bavaro: I am convinced there is more crime in "El ojo de Friusa" than in PC Village or PB. Would I want to live in Friusa or spend my time there? Doubtful...

The stats are broken down in all sorts of ways but I can't find just Bavaro. Here is one of the breakdowns.

Total Homicides 2010 2474
Crime of passion 139
Fight 44
Robbery 385
Drug related 60
Accidental 35
Legal action 98
Rape 12
Stray bullet 2
Shoot out with police 129
Others 11
Unsolved 138
Unknown 548

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Number of murders "Per City" tells nothing!
I would have to see "Murders Per Capita" to get any real information about "Safety".
If a "city" has 100 residents, and 10 murders, the raw number is low, but the "Per Capita" murder rate is astronomical!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Number of murders "Per City" tells nothing!
I would have to see "Murders Per Capita" to get any real information about "Safety".
If a "city" has 100 residents, and 10 murders, the raw number is low, but the "Per Capita" murder rate is astronomical!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Actually quite easy to do as you have the numbers of murders and you have the population data. However the pop data is supposedly 2012 and the murders are 2010 so there is a margin of error. But it is probably there or thereabouts.
% murder rate per head of pop.

0.028 La Altagracia
0.027 Distrito Nacional
0.024 Monse?or Nouel
0.022 Santo Domingo
0.021 Baoruco
0.021 Monte Cristi
0.020 La Vega
0.020 San Crist?bal
0.020 Monte Plata
0.020 Duarte
0.020 San Juan
0.019 Peravia
0.019 S?nchez Ram?rez
0.019 Barahona
0.019 La Romana
0.018 Dajab?n
0.017 San Pedro de Macor?s
0.017 Hermanas Mirabal
0.017 El?as Pi?a
0.017 Hato Mayor
0.016 Independencia
0.016 El Seibo
0.016 Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez
0.014 Azua
0.014 Valverde
0.013 Puerto Plata
0.012 Santiago
0.012 Saman?
0.010 Pedernales
0.008 Espaillat
0.007 Santiago Rodr?guez
0.005 San Jos? de Ocoa

Matilda

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
off topic alert...

I don't really care about swiss cheese

I don't really care about swiss chocolate, (ok... well maybe a little. lol)

I don't really care about numbered accounts, (which stopped being private when the swiss banks gave into U.S. IRS threats)

I don't really care about the swiss guard, (but their wild outfits are a cool addition to the Vatican)

THE BEST "SWISS" THING is the SWISS ARMY POCKET KNIFE. I carry one 24/7 and have gone through several in my lifetime. And DON'T buy the "Wenger" crappy knock-off.... buy ONLY the Victorinox brand.

If I must be "on topic"... let's just say that while the SA pocket knife is a great tool, it's not gonna help with security or safety in the D.R. Buy a shot gun. (doesn't have to be swiss) (I knew I could find a tie in to the topic if I tried hard enough. LOL)