Safety in DR

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Hi Linda

Mel and I can't wait to be there.

<b>Chris</b> - do you still want the Marmite or are you going to relieve Peter and Alex of some of their moutainous supply??

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sounds like we'll be new neighbors soon.

All of the above exellent advice.

I've been here for three years permanently now. Visited twice before but then just jumped and never left. Spent about 1-1/2 years renting at various places before I found the place I wanted to buy and live in permanently.

Never had any trouble opening a bank account I personally, and I and my Dominican wife together have several both in dollars and pesos with both Bancredito and Banco Popular. All I had to do was show them the money and my passport. No problem. But I don't use those accounts much today because of the instability of the peso. We use other foreign accounts for the money and then either write checks to exchange houses or ATM cards.

As to safety, we're out in the hills between Sosua and Cabarete and really don't feel threatened here. The local girls can be a problem sometimes but generally only if you're in a bar or disco late at night. The local guys bother my wife, too, a little, but as was said it's just nothing more than a few comments easily ignored. Dominicans a generally very friendly people - when they're not behind the whell of a car that is.

Enjoy and Welcome!

Tom & Alba

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Cabarete Marmite Factory

Peter & Alex said:
Hi Chris,
Careful!! We asked our visitors over the last few months for Marmite!! We're now the proud owners of 8 huge jars!!!
How much toast & Marmite can an Expat Brit eat? But we're trying!
Peter & Alex

I don't know how much marmite expat Brits can eat but expat South African's can eat 8 HUGE JARS! :cool: with no problems! Sound like one of those jokes - A brit, a south african and an australian met in the pub ......

cadaha, I think your thread has encovered a stash of marmite right here close to me. I will certainly help Peter & Alex eat theirs if they are in a sharing mood.

Be sure to pop in at the reunion on the 18th - if you need someone to show you where it is, I'm sure it can be arranged. Have a good flight.

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Eddy's

We'll be there, especially if there is anyone kind enough to show us how to get there - <b>hint</b>

You can't miss us, we'll be the pasty white folks in the corner unless we've been in the sun the day before and then we'll be the luminous red ones in the corner. So no back slapping!!!!! :paranoid:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Eddy's

cadaha said:
We'll be there, especially if there is anyone kind enough to show us how to get there - <b>hint</b>

Enter Sosua at the Texaco station. Turn right at the first corner 1/2 block away. Turn left two blocks later on the corner with a BanReservas and SuperSuper Liquor store on the left side of the street. Eddie's is just past the Sosua Muncipal building on the right side of the street about midway through the block.

Josue Collado

Jul 31, 2003
home.attbi.com
Jan said:
When I came here to live I contacted the Dominican Consolate in my state. They told me what was best to bring with me. I got my Birth certificate translated in spanish and got 4 dopies. I mailed the consolate in Philly my origianl and sent the check and that was done. I got a letter of good conduct from the poliice in my home town. All it said was that he kbnew me fopr over 20 years and to the best of his knowledge I was a good citizen and he signed it. I got the papers from my vet that said my dog had all her shots and sent that to the Dominican consolate with my birthcertificate and they approved my dog.
After I got to DR I had no trouble opening an american dollar savings account and a peso account. I used my pasport and it was easy.
I did most of my residency alone but with the help of a lawyer friend. It took a while cause I did it alone and when you don't pay it takes alot longer.
I have never had trouble here in Santo Domingo. There were a few harry situations but I worked my way out of them. I never fealt afraid here but I am always cautious. But then I was cautious in USA also. Just watch where you are and make friends with the lopcals. They will watch out for you. Be friendly but I don't permit anyone in my home unless I know them well.
When I go out in a publiic car or walking I know in general wqhere I will be and plan accordingly. If going to Duarte I don't carry my usual purse as when I go out at night. I always put money in different places so incase I get robbed I have a backup. But I did that in USA also.
I say...come here be a nice human. Talk to the people here as equals. Don't ast like a snob and don't act afraid and better than everyone else. Use common sense. Friends are important. Get to know your neighbors. Relax. Don't rush things. Things here move s-l-o-w. So relax and enjoy. Even the power outages have their good points. You can go to the street with everyone else and meet your neighbors, all is good.
If you come to Zona Colonial I'll be glad to show you MY Dominican Republic!
(oops...was I talking too much? You knopw thats not like me..jejej...its the back medicine I've been taking...God bless Brugal! )
Jan, I'm a dominican that grew up around zona colonial and barrio San Anton in STDGO. I live in USA now, but after reeding many posts curious myself to find out what foreigners -specially americans- think about us dominicans and our country in general, I think you and some others long time residents talk about things the way they are and not "the way the State Dept say they are".
I live in USA now and there are a lot of places I wouldn't even think of going. The best way, like you say, is to make lots of dominican friends and realize that there are good ones and bad ones in every country. Also I would advise not to compare your own country with DR. Just learn about DR as much as you can and don't forget that things are done in a different way and there is a lot of room for improvement. Don't act like a tourist or foreigner, do like dominicans do and you'll be fine.