Safety in The DR

C

Chip00

To do shortlist:

1. Learn the language - buy a Spanish Grammar Book - start with reading and writing first (3 to 4 months) after that focus on speaking. Also, watch lots of Dominican programs on tv.
2. Dress like the locals - baseball cap, jeans, t-shirt - no shorts or obvious jewelry. I'm a white guy from South Carolina and I know I hardly get noticed a lot of times although my wife's sister says I should dress like the engineer that I am. Dominicans who have money typically dress in expensive clothes, etc. so don't be like them.
3. Don't carry a lot of cash and be careful to hide what you have when you're paying for stuff.
4. Haircut for guys - no bangs, comb back if long but better is crewcut or shave it off. For women see what the locals do.
5. Put bars on windows and doors. Close in yard with wall and metal fence.
6. Don't go out late at night if possible, if so with Dominican friends/family.
7. Know your neighbors and exchange phone #'s for emergency purposes.
8. Make Dominican friends. It would recommend finding friends who are professionals. This isn't to say that you can't with other Dominicans but you really need to understand a few things about their psyche beforehand. PM me for further explanation.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
To help

Guy, are you trying to help or create an alarm? Hides your 9mm, wonderful.

by being honest.........

I for instance don't live in a tourist area, gated community, etc, but in a barrio that has lots of crime. Many of my friends also live in areas that are not the "safest". Even tho across the highway from me is one of the best Golf Clubs in the DR.

Do you only want "Tourist Friendly" answers, or is this discussion open to those of various experiences? I have been faced with 2 men pointing homemade guns at me, been pick-pocketed in a public car, had friends that were pick-pocketed in public cars, been assualted by 2 Dominicans claiming to be police, have a sister-in-law that was robbed at gun point by the driver and passenger late at night because she got into a car she thought was public, have been in situations where it was quite hostile, been almost scammed by money changer, etc. That's the price I pay for where I live.

If you want only "Tourist Friendly" answers, re-word the question, I prefer being honest.

If we do not discuss openly, the statements made are mis-leading.
I don't think the question was meant to be answered or discussed in a "sugar coated" manner. I am happy you may live in an area that does not require these precautions, some of us do not, and/or may travel to such areas where they will remember the comments from EVERYBODY!

Take heed of those statements you wish, ignore those you don't agree with.

Addition to Public Cars: The person that robbed me was screaming that he was being pinched from us squeezing into the car, all the time going through my pocket.

I welcome any and all comments, hopfully I will learn something new to help protect me and my family.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have travelled alone for years, including here in DR.
my two pesos for a lonely female travellers venturing outside AIs:
1. wear loose trousers, i have a pair of a very old ones, lots of pockets, most with zips, also, if you plan to visit monuments, churches, mind you, you'll need decent clothing to enter
2. have little money, all in small change, stuck in few different pockets
3. before you travel anywhere learn from locals what the fare is, in guagua pay upon leaving a car, do not discuss, pay with EXACT change, dsay "gracias"
4. before travelling read a guidebook, you may take it with you but keep it hidden, you may need it to check addresses and such
5. smile to people, learn few phrases in spanish, so you can be polite
6. do not keep camera and mobile out in the wiev, best thiung is to carry a bag, i have read somewhere about a guy who used to smear his bags with expensive camera equipment with mud, just so they look old and stinky
7. have confidence, it is a 3rd world country but the majority of people live here happily without ever getting into trouble

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
These suggestions coule apply to anywhere in the world. Many are just common sense.

Don't look or act like a victim, and the probability of being one goes down.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The tread is not meant to cover every eventually and it is not meant to be a safety manual while visiting the meanest barrio in the DR, (you're on your own here...). It is however meant to be DR specific.

Guns, carrying them in the street, few of us do that, so let's keep that out of this thread. For new posters/readers, note that many people carry guns in the DR.

In my opinion, much of the information here can be used generically for other countries, but, it is specific enough to be of value for us, in the DR.

Last edited:

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Driving late at night

Guys/Gals

From personal experience, if driving alone late at night and the cops try to stop you DON'T unless is in front of a precint or hotels with lots of people around. The cops are more crooked than civilians here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Public Cars

To be more specific on "Public Cars".

Taking them late at night is more dangerous. Be sure that the Letter Designation is an official one and not one "Hand Written", those are the ones to be leery of, for many reasons. Each public car shoud have an official ID on the sunvisor or hanging from the mirror with a picture of the driver. During the day and night, the non-official ones may more likely be buddies working the passengers. That is not to say that the Official Ones don't have the pickpocket problems, just lest likely to be a conspiracy with the driver.

When I need to take a public car, I usually wait for an empty one and then take the back seat and sit behind the driver. Only one side of me needs guarding that way.

Be especially careful if your Public Car (non-Official) at night passes through a secluded area and there is just you, the driver and one other passenger. Be safe, get out earlier with other passengers if you have doubts. I would rather walk then get into a questionable situation just to save a few minutes of time.

When walkiing early or late at night, I always cross over to the opposite side of the street when I come upon other people during those times. And also if someone starts coming up behind me late at night or early in the morning.

Use common sense - don't be lazy and try to save a couple minutes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
travel on guagua

i only travel during the day, i tend to travel on the same route so drivers remember me (i stick out anyways). i am friendly and i smile, talk when i am talked to, put my bag on my knees but make sure the handle is wrapped aroung my wrist. i have exact change ready in my pocket/hand, so i do not have to reach to the bag/purse. i halt the car, crawl out, pay, say "gracias" and "bye". i never had any problem.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
This is THE most useful thread that I have read on the DR for a gringo visitor. Except for the volumes regurgitated on the Sankie forum.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Don't kill the thread

I am a gringo who would like to hear more common sense suggestions for keeping safe and not standing out ( being a target) from the locals on this forum. As a visitor, what traits, behaviors, appearances would set me up for trouble? What would identify me as an easy mark among Dominicans? What would reduce these perceptions?

How should an average gringo/gringa outside of an AI conduct themselves? What should I be aware of? USA, Canada, Europe; what does an outsider need to be aware of when visiting? What does one need to know to keep coming back?

Sollie

Mar 21, 2002
Foreigners like to smile alot at everyone and at all things. They remind me of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. Two nice lovable characters, but easy pickins. I guess other dominicans must feel the same way that these are suckers that can be had. Take my word, I know my people.

If you are in a new area, keep a serious demeanor. You don't have to be nasty but don't be happy silly stupid like Bert and Ernie. Serious until you are sure of your surroundings and the people around you. Then loosen up. Dominicans respect serious men and treat them in high regard. Happy silly stupid like Bert and Ernie and even the shoeshine boy will take you for a ride.

Sort of the seriousness that Clint Eastwood's character portrays in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Dominicans won't be able to read you easily. The mysterious serious type will be mistaken by them as an agent of some sort. Like that guy be aware of your surroundings. Keep eye contact with a serious demeanor. Thugs don't like to be seen.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yes i agree. i'm not a local but a estranjero who travels there often. i'm never curious (like most tourists) to anything thats happening in the town. i just look and keep walking. if someone approaches me i just give them a serious "no gracias" and they move on.
it's difficult sometimes for the AI folks because they have that wristband that says "gringo/gringa".
above all being safe means not getting drunk alone/going strange places with chicas/understanding not carrying too many pesos or have small bills/setting a price with chicas/concho driver BEFORE you embark. above all remember chicas can rip you off as well....

my 2 pesos worth..

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
As in all places : "Don't stand out as a target"

for living

Make sure that your house seems better "defended" than your neighbours
Make sure that your house seems less rich than your neighbours
Have your perimeter securred
Have an early warning system (barking dogs alarm)
Have a deterrant defensif system ( biting dogs/colin/ gun)
Be metaly prepared to harm the intruder and if necessary kill

For traveling

Don't stand out in the crowd (difficult if your're white amongst brown people (not prejudice)) wear same cloths do same things etc
When walking walk with your head high
Don't flash your wealth

When sh** happens be prepared to inflict harm and go for the kill

Greetings

Johan

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Good advice all

O & C,

A very subtle observation. Thank you. Almost contra-intuitive for most gringos.

Johan.

Good points for someone living there. And, to me, you make a very important distinction ... if you choose to use force, be mentally prepared to do so.

Sollie:ninja:

Mar 21, 2002
Don't stand out in the crowd (difficult if your're white amongst brown people (not prejudice))

That's why I tell many white foreigners to set up shop in the mountain towns, The Highlands. There are many dominicans there of Spanish stock that are confused once they head into the major cities of SDQ. If they speak "dominican", no other dominicans would think they are.

Have your permanent abode up there and you come down to the resorts, the capital etc. It's pretty horrible to have to be looking over your back if you live permanently in an area where you stick out so much.

It's not prejuidce but you do remember the study of the genetically mutated white moths. Unable to cloak themselves amongst the oak trees like thier brown moth counterparts, they were easily singled out by the prey.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, this looks a little cleaner and is now a sticky.

Are any of the long term members willing to add what to do (and not to do) when flagged down at a security roadblock, or stopped by the cops, or flagged down by Amet.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK, this looks a little cleaner and is now a sticky.

Are any of the long term members willing to add what to do (and not to do) while flagged down at a security roadblock, or stopped by the cops, or flagged down by Amet.
I don't think there is one universal solution.
There are too many variables.

This is what works for me.
(Bear in mind I speak Spanish)
I always roll down my window before even coming to a full stop, half hang my head out the window with a smile on my face, reaching out to shake the hand of the first person approaching me, with a big, "Saludos".
Often I will say, "Yo conozco a usted" like a statement, like I just found an old friend.
Often will ask them, "Hay problemas?", "Que paso?", "Un robo?", whatever comes to mind, like I'm interested in their work and have no doubt that the only reason they would be pulling cars over, is because a big crime has been committed, and they are trying to capture the criminals.
In general, I babble on about anything that comes to mind, until they are a bit bored with me and politely ask me to move on and get the heck out of their way.

In the absence of speaking the lingo, as was the case when I first moved here, I used the same beginning as above, only would start the conversation, as I shook the hand, "Yo Marco. Usted?, lots of smiling, "No Hablas Espa?ol!", "Soy Canadiense", "Republica Dominicana, bonito", "Brugal, Presidente, chicas", "Bueno, bueno, bueno"...
And bore the heck out of them, repeating those few words I know.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'd agree with that. 'Babbling' works like a charm for me, too ;) I'm rarely pulled over and on occasions when I have been I have obeyed the command and then been motioned to drive on before I get near enough to extend a hand for a handshake. However, I'm female, so that might have something to do with it.

The other thing I've seen work (in the daytime) is deliberate 'kangaroo' jump or stalling of vehicle followed by clapping hand over mouth in a 'lordy what have I done' gesture. Seems to work for female drivers maybe because it puts the gringa in the role of stupid driver and thus lightens the tension and everyone laughs.

In summary display friendliness, openess, self-confidence (unless stalling vehicle) and interest. Do not display fear, concern, guilt or anger. A 'worried' gringo face is often mistaken for a 'guilty' gringo face, or at least one that can be taken advantage of!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Not really.
Many of the criminals who operate in the Bella Vista, Mirador Sur areas come from the neighbourhoods below Parque Mirador, like Honduras. The western end of Anacaona Avenue is adjacent to Herrera. Also, the drug crime hotspot map published in the papers recently had Bella Vista as a high-drug use area.

The area around Bella Vista Mall is now known for its high crime rate (muggins, break-ins and car theft). I've heard that the barrio three blocks away (behind Farmacia Brasil), known as "El Semillero" the police won't dare enter. I recently installed one of those radar alarms that bark like a Doberman Pinscher when it picks up movement through the wall. Anyone approaching the vecinity of my front door is greeted with loud barking. When there's a knock on the door, the members of my household have been instructed to say, "wait, I'm going to chain the dog", before opening. Even the neighbors believe we have a wild pitbull roaming freely inside the apartment.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
No Shorts?

To do shortlist:

1. Learn the language - buy a Spanish Grammar Book - start with reading and writing first (3 to 4 months) after that focus on speaking. Also, watch lots of Dominican programs on tv.
2. Dress like the locals - baseball cap, jeans, t-shirt - no shorts or obvious jewelry. I'm a white guy from South Carolina and I know I hardly get noticed a lot of times although my wife's sister says I should dress like the engineer that I am. Dominicans who have money typically dress in expensive clothes, etc. so don't be like them.
3. Don't carry a lot of cash and be careful to hide what you have when you're paying for stuff.
4. Haircut for guys - no bangs, comb back if long but better is crewcut or shave it off. For women see what the locals do.
5. Put bars on windows and doors. Close in yard with wall and metal fence.
6. Don't go out late at night if possible, if so with Dominican friends/family.
7. Know your neighbors and exchange phone #'s for emergency purposes.
8. Make Dominican friends. It would recommend finding friends who are professionals. This isn't to say that you can't with other Dominicans but you really need to understand a few things about their psyche beforehand. PM me for further explanation.

I understand dressing down, or at least not being flashy with what you wear, but the main reason for coming to the DR for me is the weather! I want to be in shorts! 82 degrees and in long pants? This is what I pay for, to be in shorts and a t-shirt, instead of bundling up for a Canadian winter. I am not a hat person of anykind and prefer not to trap the heat in where 30% of the heat will leave from. No flashy jewellery either, just a $250.00 Casio watch. I leave in 2 weeks for a month and I MIGHT have 1 pair of long pants with me.
Steve