Safety in The DR

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
A CBR 600 in the DR??? :surprised On those roads??? You nutz?;) I'm a biker guy from waaaaay back, and I can't imagine...

That being said, my biggest fear in the DR is not getting robbed/mugged, but being in a serious traffic accident and having to wait for an "ambulance" to take the pieces to a bad medical facility. Jumping on the back of a moto, IMO, is just crazy. You're asking for some bad mojo to go down, wearing a hat or not.

Not in DR! Back home on the Isle of Man (UK, sort of!) Over there, there would be no way I'd be on two wheels. :ninja:

Arrived back here yesterday, missing the place already...

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Wow

I just finished reading this thread great info!
I have definatly learned some new things for my next visit. I stay at AI's but do venture out on my own day and night. I have never had a problem so far and use my common sense. I just try to fit in as much as I can, most people think I'm Spanish and I even get Dominican sometimes? so i think that helps. I usually travel with a female friend and we are very careful at night. I always carry a bag to hide my camera and never carry a lot of money. The DR is a beautiful place tourists just need to use common sense like they would back home and get to know the culture of the DR before going!
My sister just last week got her wallet stolen while shopping at the mall in Canada. She was busy shopping and the problem was that she had her purse opened half way so easy target right. She wasn't using her common sense at that moment unfortunatly.
Someone mentioned guns, I will admit on a visit a guy showed me he had a gun smiling proudly it scared the crap out of me. He was the brother of a Dominican guy I knew from Canada who was visiting there when I was on vacation I saw him at a club. I've never been around guns so I was scared. I do understand it could of been for safety who knows but I didn't really want to know. I just smiled and minded my buisness.

Thanks everyone this is truly a great thread!!!!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Further to the laptop/camera bag comment, I can't find a photo of my bag, perhaps it has been superseeded, however this one is similar...

prd%7BD098E65D-4B05-40E7-8EB4-59C8DFBFDFC6%7D.jpg

Looks like any other traveller's bag and doesn't scream rob me. Let it get a bit battered and you won't stick out anywhere.

I agree with Cobraboy that being in an RTA is a far bigger concern to me than being a victim of crime. I'll use the gua-gua but prefer it when they are driven by someone who never gets above 25 mph! I had one trip where two guys were racing to get ahead of each other the whole time and the over filled vehicle was barely under control. I couldn't help but think about the consequences of a crash. The standard of driving is awful generally. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make sure you get to a private hospital if involved in an RTA but are unconcious? This last trip I was on my own, so the thought crossed my mind that in the event of an accident, I wouldn't have someone else to sort things out for me. I think next time, I'll take half a dozen copies of my insurance documents and carry a couple with me all the time. Possibly worth trying to get a Spanish translation? Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of an RTA that required hospitalisation?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Add these to your "personal security list"....

1. If you are allergic to anything, like penicillin or whatever, or are diabetic, be sure to wear an allergy bracelet.
2. Keep a card in your wallet stating your next of kin, plus contact information.
3.Compile a brief personal medical history. Include your blood group. Ensure that your partner knows where it is.
4.Always lock the doors to your vehicle when moving, especially in towns.
5.Keep a spare key to your vehicle on your person (check it to be sure it works).
6.Keep a xerox copy of your passport, vehicle "matricula" and insurance [including phone # of your Agent] in the vehicle.
7. Do not stop for anyone while driving at night. Flash your "brights" twice & keep moving!
8. Physically check behind your vehicle before backing up.
9. Carry a cel phone and emergency contact numbers.
Thanks for reading this... Canadian Bob.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Stun guns

I see that I don't receive any answer in the other tread, so I try here. Maybe it is better to put it in this one!

Can somebody tell me if stun guns (also Taser) are legal here in Dominican Republic and also if it is possible to buy and bring them from the States in the luggage without any problem. I don't know anything about all of this but I'm looking for something to defend myself. In the future I'll buy a gun. For those who can read French, you can have a look at my blog : Skyblog de estrella-star : Pourquoi j'habite en R?publique dominicaine (from #109) to know about my "bad" experience here in the country.
Is it safe to buy a stun gun, is there a place or somebody who can teach me how to use it,.... ? I am living in Puerto Plata. Thank you very much.

Maybe Canadian Bob or Rocky can help me here in the North?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm not the best source on this but I would say they are not legal here and do not exist here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I see that I don't receive any answer in the other tread, so I try here. Maybe it is better to put it in this one!

Can somebody tell me if stun guns (also Taser) are legal here in Dominican Republic and also if it is possible to buy and bring them from the States in the luggage without any problem. I don't know anything about all of this but I'm looking for something to defend myself. In the future I'll buy a gun. For those who can read French, you can have a look at my blog : Skyblog de estrella-star : Pourquoi j'habite en R?publique dominicaine (from #109) to know about my "bad" experience here in the country.
Is it safe to buy a stun gun, is there a place or somebody who can teach me how to use it,.... ? I am living in Puerto Plata. Thank you very much.

Maybe Canadian Bob or Rocky can help me here in the North?
I believe I can locate one for you.
Give me a few days to check.
If I don't get back to you soon, rattle my cage and give me a reminder.
I can show you how to use one, but we need a volunteer.
Anyone care to get stunned?
We'll give you a big slice of chocolate cake, after.....

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Estrella! Stun guns are "illegal" (not enforced), but are sold in a number of places, including a Tourist type store in the big plaza building in the Playa Dorada complex of resorts. That store also sells a big variety of knives and is nearest to the back entrance to the Plaza. They are also sold in gun stores. Both the long "baton" types and the small hand stun guns & tasers are available, (so are baseball bats).
" Bear type" Mace/pepper spray bombs will keep him away, are available and should keep him at least at arms length.
Unless you are very proficieht in martial arts & are comfortable & able to handle two agressors,....... pull out your wallet, throw it over his head, behind him & escape. Your life is worth far more than your wallet! Canadian Bob.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Damn Bob that is a good post. I especially like the part about the wallet. I'm on my way to check out stun guns at the gun shop. This could be very handy.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Estrella! Stun guns are "illegal" (not enforced), but are sold in a number of places, including a Tourist type store in the big plaza building in the Playa Dorada complex of resorts. That store also sells a big variety of knives and is nearest to the back entrance to the Plaza. They are also sold in gun stores. Both the long "baton" types and the small hand stun guns & tasers are available, (so are baseball bats).
" Bear type" Mace/pepper spray bombs will keep him away, are available and should keep him at least at arms length.
Unless you are very proficieht in martial arts & are comfortable & able to handle two agressors,....... pull out your wallet, throw it over his head, behind him & escape. Your life is worth far more than your wallet! Canadian Bob.
Great advice.
I will mention that the few times I pulled out a stun gun in this country,
just pulling the trigger to arc the test prongs, was more than enough to send them running.
Dominicans hate electricity/shocks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Isn't that interesting? You'd have thought there would have been a certain, shall we say, familiarity with electric shocks..............;)

Probably accounts for the paucity of top notch electricians here.
^^^jajajaja

Ain't that the truth!:paranoid:

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Bob, I went to Playa Dorada this afternoon, but the girl told me that they sold everything a long time ago and that they won't sell them again in the future. Then I went to the gun shop across Casa Nelson, but it was closed. If you know other addresses....
Rocky, did you find a volunteer yet???
Thank you very much.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bob, I went to Playa Dorada this afternoon, but the girl told me that they sold everything a long time ago and that they won't sell them again in the future. Then I went to the gun shop across Casa Nelson, but it was closed. If you know other addresses....
Rocky, did you find a volunteer yet???
Thank you very much.
No volunteer, but will try to get back to you tomorrow, with the location and prices for stun guns.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
No volunteer, but will try to get back to you tomorrow, with the location and prices for stun guns.

In Santiago last week and visited a gun shop down the road from La Sirenas. Stun Gun that looked just like an older (bigger model) cell phone was for sale for $3500 pesos. Had other models available as well. Hope this helps

Oceanview1

Dec 13, 2006
www.banker-trust.com
Rent a Safe Deposit Box

It's very important to rent a safe deposit box whether you are a short term vacationer or a long term resident. They are your best protection against theft and other disasters.

Unfortunately, for the vacationer pick-pocket theft, muggings, and other petty crime is on the increase. Securing your passport, plane tickets, credit cards, cash and jewelry in a safe place that you control is essential. Instead of hiding these items in your room or turning them over to the hotel for "safe keeping," you can rent a safe deposit box in a bank vault for as little as $25 per week.

For residents, renting a safe deposit box is even more important. For example, many people don't know that the title to their home or condo is similar to a "bearer bond" - whoever holds it, owns it. Homes have been literally sold out from under the owners because many of these people did not understand the importance of keeping their title safe. You simply cannot afford to leave such an important document in a file at home or a lawyer's office.

Some people think portable safes are the solution. They're not. In fact, the presence of an in-home safe could make you more of a target for in-home invasion. That same informal network of local communication which allows total strangers to know so much about you is the same network which communicates who has what in their homes. It far safer, and smarter, to allow professionals to secure your most important documents and other items.

You can gain this protection with Banker Trust. They can be reached at (809) 571-4622.

ustilagor

May 30, 2004
very useful information here...thanks...I am leaving for the DR Wednesday Dec 20th staying in Santo Domingo area for 8 days ....I have not seen anyone mention using a money belt to put their passport and credit cards in...seems like a money belt would be a bit safer than just carrying a wallet around in your pocket...but don't want to purchase one if not worth while...any opinions...great advice about how to secure your money tho...I like the idea of a fake wallet in the back pocket...and keeping money in socks and other pockets...that is something I learned about while visiting the villages in Korea while stationed there in the Army....never can be too careful....even here in the good ole "safe" USA...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I always wear a money belt, but it's a belt that looks like an ordinary leather dress belt -- it doesn't scream and yell "Here I am snatch me!" In it I stack afew large bills RDP, a few twenties USD, colour copy of the important page of my passport, the numbers to call to report stolen credit cards.

In other words it's for emergency use and along the, lines of divide and secure your assets.

Last edited:

ustilagor

May 30, 2004
thanks for the info

I always wear a money belt, but it's a belt that looks like an ordinary leather dress belt -- it doesn't scream and yell "Here I am snatch me!" In it I stack afew large bills RDP, a few twenties USD, colour copy of the important page of my passport, the numbers to call to report stolen credit cards.

In other words it's for emergency use and along the, lines of divide and secure your assets.

I was thinking more along the lines of putting the money belt inside next to me...inside my shirt...was gonna go to AAA here in Tampa and check out what they got...that ordinary leather dress belt sounds like a good idea...sure as heck wouldn't wear a money belt outside my shirt....might as well print steal me on it.....LOL

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah that's why I came back with the last line as an edit. I thought about it (a next to the body belt) long and hard and in the end decided that an extra pocket sewn to the inside front of my trousers would suit me better. I did this for a few trips (wallet, travellers cheques, passport -- then just said to hell with it. All my pants have deep side pockets and I stuff a crinkly plastic bag on top of the valuables. But don't let me dissuade you if you think you'll be happy with an inside belt.