Safety in The DR

C

Chip00

Good advice. Decent Dominican women WILL never touch an unknown man in public and especially at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

yohan

Aug 4, 2007
even if your an AI, when you go out of the resort, take out your bracelet! i use oil be carefull not to break it!locals when they see that your wearing one see $$$$
ask the maid for the price of motoconcho or guagua, i noticed that people from info or front desk don't always give the right price...

S

sokitoumi

of course most people dont follow their own advice most of the time...but it sounds good in the posts

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
cut up some newspaper to the size of dollar bills, put a real dollar bill on top, fold pile in half exposing only the dollar bill to the outside, put about 5 rubber bands tightly around the pile, stuff "throwdown money" in easy to reach pocket. if confronted by a mugger, quickly grab the "throwdown money", let the mugger briefly see the wad as you throw it 20 feet away, run like hell for the nearest business, group of people, house with lights on. muggers want money, they will go for the money,,,,,,,,,you want an escape, take it.................................by the time the mugger gets the rubber bands off you should be having a good laugh............

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Not having sex with underaged people is a safety tip.
Not making fun of Chinese people is another one.

I am serious about these two so do not delete my post.

Nov 17, 2007
it seems 90% of you guys are living in the Cabarete/Puerto Plata/Sosua area, can anyone tell me the level of security/crime in LA ROMANA?
thanks/edwin

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
it seems 90% of you guys are living in the Cabarete/Puerto Plata/Sosua area, can anyone tell me the level of security/crime in LA ROMANA?
thanks/edwin
You are correct that a lot of the English speaking expat DR1 members are on the North coast, and we couldn't know as much about La Romana as someone who lives there, but there are common factors, when it comes to security.
I believe there was a recent thread that talks about that.
If I can find it, I'll post it here.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/68719-robbery-costa-azul-5.html#post579985
This is a different world than where most expats come from.
People who want to and do move here, who subscribe to the mentality that the government should take care of everything for them, including personal security, should go back to where they came from, as they will always be crime targets.
This country offers wonderful possibilities for a happy fulfilling life for individualistic type people, who welcome the opportunity to make their own decisions in life, who welcome taking care of themselves, rather than the robot-like life style (you're just a number) of the industrialized nations.
The DR is not for everybody, but those who do fit in, find a paradise that is virtually unparalleled.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
This thread is a great read, very good information and answers many of my questions. For the AI people who may be seeing this, there was a comment way back about those fluorescent wristbands the resorts make you wear. They do mark you out as an outsider (or possible victim) when you are out and about. I covered mine up with a bracelet when off the resort property, just seemed prudent. The shorts idea never occurred to me and I wondered why Rocky always had long pants on - so it wasn't a knobby knees issue, then?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This thread is a great read, very good information and answers many of my questions. For the AI people who may be seeing this, there was a comment way back about those fluorescent wristbands the resorts make you wear. They do mark you out as an outsider (or possible victim) when you are out and about. I covered mine up with a bracelet when off the resort property, just seemed prudent. The shorts idea never occurred to me and I wondered why Rocky always had long pants on - so it wasn't a knobby knees issue, then?
Absolutely a great idea.
Having those wristbands makes you a prime target.
Good move, Moose.
PS: It's not that my knees are knobby, but it just ain't polite to leave that thing hanging out dragging on the ground, oh nevermind.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Safety Tip in the DR .. Absolutely avoid Rocky when he has shorts on :laugh:

Let's keep to the topic folks. This is safety tips in the DR. If you want to ask questions about a specific area, open your own thread please. Let's keep this one clean.

XXX

Banned
Nov 14, 2007
1 NEVER TRUST A DOMINICAN
2 TRAVEL INFO charges: CARIBE TOURS buses,TAXIS,CARRITOS,MOTO CONCHES, and regular buses.
3 what not to wear: nothing of great value, specially at night.
4 If necessary always get a second price check from someone else.
5 always do high cost business with an Americanize person or Qualified Foreigners.
6 always remember rule 1

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007

Although I'm living in Puerto Plata now, back when I was a vacationer staying at the AI, upon check-in I would request that my bracelet be placed on my wrist with lots of room to slip it off easily so that when I went out (I was always going to clubs to dance) I wouldn't be a dead giveaway. Occasionally, I'd get a front desk person who wouldn't honor my request. So in case they wouldn't, I'd always bring a black stretch wristband to wear over my bracelet. Then all I had to do was try not too speak much and let my friends do all the talking (ordering the Brugal, Presidente, etc.). So, it wasn't an original idea after all? I thought I had invented it!:glasses:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
my rule is: look like a tourist, not like a target.
and above all drink responsibly !!

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Wow, great advice here folks. I am totally floored that I wasn't robbed my first two trips to the DR this summer. I wore my solid gold Rolex GMT II everywhere. I guess I was just one lucky SOB. I never had a problem or even a nibble while walking around or on the beach although at the waterfalls a guy did comment on my watch. That was it in the two - one week trips I made.

Or, maybe things are getting better? Nah, I doubt it.

Anyway, this trip coming up... My Rolex stays home.

Thanks for the great advice.

Take care

Richard

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow, great advice here folks. I am totally floored that I wasn't robbed my first two trips to the DR this summer. I wore my solid gold Rolex GMT II everywhere. I guess I was just one lucky SOB. I never had a problem or even a nibble while walking around or on the beach although at the waterfalls a guy did comment on my watch. That was it in the two - one week trips I made.

Or, maybe things are getting better? Nah, I doubt it.

Anyway, this trip coming up... My Rolex stays home.

Thanks for the great advice.

Take care

Richard
I agree that you could leave the Rolex at home, because it's so very valuable, but I also think that you represent the balance to this thread.
We all want to warn everyone of every type of danger, and the next thing you know, it's sounding like Beirut.
I don't have any problems walking around town, nor does most everybody I know.
It's arguable that it may be safer than, or as safe as most other places in the world, but the problem is that the culture is so different and the pace of life so mellow, that it hypnotizes newbies, tourists or anyone who's a bit green, and they can easily become crime targets, so they need to be warned, but then again, it would be a shame to paint such a scary picture of the place, that people either don't come or can't have fun anymore.
There has to be a balance, and you are it.
A normal person who has fun and doesn't get into trouble.