sale of contract

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
hello,

i need legal expert option please.

my ex and i bought property in the DR. he sold it without me knowing. the contract was done in the DR and he signed for both of us without my knowledge. please note the contract was done all illegal, the contract states that we are signing it infront of 2 witnesses (living in the DR) which also signed for the contract , plus the buyer and the lawyer aswell (all living in the DR). the contract is all a lie because my ex signed for his name and mine in canada and couriered it to the DR for the others to sign. this lawyer did something illegal by lying on the contract.
my question is : i want to sue my ex for forgery. how do i go about it ? can i sue him in canada if the contract was done in the DR? my ex is a perminent residence and i`m a canadian citizen. Or do i have to go to the DR to sue him there ?
Knowing the contract is illegal, will the courts dismiss the forgery case because of this?

He could be criminally charged in Canada.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Re-reading this it does look as though the criminal act, forgery, took place in Canada so why not contact the police there for starters, or have you done that?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Candlestick maker here.

I say, get the Canada police involved since this will likely not cost you anything. At least if he ever goes back to Canada there is a chance he will have to face the music.

However, since the guy, the money, and the property are all in the DR, If you want your property back you will almost certainly have to get a DR lawyer involved.

And not just any lawyer. Any Dominican lawyer will take your money to look into the case, that vast majority of them will accomplish nothing, and will know full well when they are taking your money that they are going to accomplish nothing.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Cobraboy is exactly right! Don't ask total strangers who may be butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, ask a lawyer!

I hope this didn't offend anyone! I was only trying to make the point that professional legal advice is what the OP needs! :bunny:

abused

Feb 4, 2009
Re-reading this it does look as though the criminal act, forgery, took place in Canada so why not contact the police there for starters, or have you done that?

everyone listen, i did contact a criminal lawyer here in canada and asked, he told me it is highly unlikely the police will do anything for me because of 3 things;

first: because the contract was done in the DR.
second: because there are 3 witnesses who signed on the contract , his mother, other witness friend of my ex, and the stupid DR lawyer.
third: criminal lawyer told me, that the canadian police know that the DR enforcement and lawyers are not to be trusted.....and that trying to prove it from here is almost impossible. would need those 3 witnesses who signed as witnesses to be here in canada if i were to take him to court and that is highly unlikely to happen.

another thing everyone needs to know is that my ex is still living in canada. for him, he is content he got money for a free house which i paid for.
He is still living la vida loca here in canada !

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
everyone listen, i did contact a criminal lawyer here in canada and asked, he told me it is highly unlikely the police will do anything for me because of 3 things;

second: because there are 3 witnesses who signed on the contract , his mother, other witness friend of my ex, and the stupid DR lawyer.
third: criminal lawyer told me, that the canadian police know that the DR enforcement and lawyers are not to be trusted.....and that trying to prove it from here is almost impossible. would need those 3 witnesses who signed as witnesses to be here in canada if i were to take him to court and that is highly unlikely to happen.

another thing everyone needs to know is that my ex is still living in canada. for him, he is content he got money for a free house which i paid for.

Well if he is still living in Canada and he forged your signature in Canada (as Black Dog thinks) then you have him by the short and curlies, I would have thought, speaking as a butcher (Halal, Kosher and purveyor of finest sausage).

Do you not have a big brother/friend who can go and visit him, shake him upside down and have your money returned?

Could committing crimes in Canada affect his immigration status?

Go hard and put aside any sentiment.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

In Canada, it's the district attorney that decide if someone will be criminally charged not the police, talk to a district attorney. I'm not saying that if charged he will be found guilty though because of the reasonable doubt in favor of the accused.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
In Canada, it's the district attorney that decide if someone will be criminally charged not the police, talk to a district attorney. I'm not saying that if charged he will be found guilty though because of the reasonable doubt in favor of the accused.

If you have a copy of the forged signature he is presumably toast...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I'd forget 'civil'. He has committed a serious criminal offence in the country where he is still living. Even if it is difficult to prove, you could make his life VERY uncomfortable for a VERY long time!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Against who and asking What ?????????

Against her ex, for forging her signature and swindling her out of a large sum. I've seen on TV (lol I'm such an expert) where in the case of a civil suit you don't have to convince a judge that the other guy broke the law, you just have to convince a jury that they caused you significant harm.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm with Black Dog in this. Even though you probably won't regain nothing, make his life miserable as hell. Dre why does it matter if the guy was Dominican or not?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
if you do nothing he gets away with it
if you push for compensation you may get something from it
if you push for criminal charges he will have a helluva time

if you have the copy with your forged signature...
he will have a hard time proving his case in court...
you may end up with it all back and him sitting in jail...go for it :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The tribunal helped the poor Dominicans not the Gringo?s.
Against Dominicans you have little chance as Gringo.
Excuse me my English is not sufficient to explain.

Your English expressed it very well. Those of us with Dominican spouses know it's best for them to be the person who handles anything with gov't., legal issues, insurance, big purchases, neighbors, etc. in DR.

It's only fair that I mention the reverse works best here in the US. :ermm:

abused

Feb 4, 2009

it's hard because, the contract was made up in the dominican, and do not forget that his mother and another witness who both live in the dominican, both signed their names as witnesses.

the contract says that these 2 witnesses are signing that they are confirming the sellers are signing in front of them this contract. also the lawyer signed the same.

the lawyer made up the contract as if to read that we were all there signing the contract together, me , my ex, the 2 witnesses and the lawyer.

how can i prove to the crown attorney or the police or whoever, that this is not true. the whole contract is a lie.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hand writing experts!
You say he signed in Canada, do the dates in his passport tally with the date of the contract?
If his passport puts him in Canada when the contract is dated then you have to whole bunch of them.
What about your passport, where were you on that date?