Salsa dancing in Santo Domingo?

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
macocael said:
Got another good example for you DRPAWA: get a hold of Ruben Blade's album Caminando,and listen to the title song "Caminando": after the verses, the horns really take off and in the back the clave sings. You will hear the chorus "yen yer?" so you know you are in the right place. Song kicks A$%?&!!

You da man Macocael!
Thanks very much. I'll check this song out.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Wait DRPAWA, I have the PERFECT example for you, the clave is crystal clear. This song is heard on the radio all the time: Ruben Blades' "Amor y Control." It starts right out with the clave, and continues all the way through, and the salsa is a slow one so you can hear all the beats quite clearly. This is the one to learn from, I promise you. Sorry it took so long to find it.

If my musicology friend gets back to me, I will relay his explanation to you.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
macocael said:
Wait DRPAWA, I have the PERFECT example for you, the clave is crystal clear. This song is heard on the radio all the time: Ruben Blades' "Amor y Control." It starts right out with the clave, and continues all the way through, and the salsa is a slow one so you can hear all the beats quite clearly. This is the one to learn from, I promise you. Sorry it took so long to find it.

If my musicology friend gets back to me, I will relay his explanation to you.

Wow! That's very good of you to take this on almost like a project and I do appreciate it. I'm gonna have to put your name on that thread of people on DR1 who have been helpful to you.

Much appreciated Macocael.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
salsa nights en la capital

Back to the original question:
I am coming back to SDQ for semana santa.
Can any of you capitale?os tell me what is going on salsa-wise on Av Vicente de Paul or in Villa Mella? Which night to go where? What kind of salsa music and how much of it can be expected? Which local salsa radio station to listen to get information.
Thanks for your advice,
Bartolomeo

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Bartolomeo, not sure if it has been written in the past 9 pages or not, but salsa is played pretty much on the entire strip of la San Vicente (i.e. El Aguila, O'Side, etc.) en San Isidro. Expect classics and very few modern salsa songs.

The music stations are very varied, so I cant tell you which one is good only for Salsa. I love the radio there, it has much more variety than here in the States.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Apologies to Ricardo 0900 re Torres

Well as I am at home with a head cold and nothing better to do than scan the internet, I decided once and for all to figure out what all the fuss is about breaking on one and on two, why people are so divided about this, why there are different dance styles, and what the heck the clave has to do with it all, since I am the one who introduced this idea as being importnat inthe interpretation of the dance.

Well I got so involved in the damn thing that I ended up writing a four page article, and I am going to see if maybe I can post it on here somehow. It defines the clave, looks at different types of clave and how songs use them, and finally looks at what this means for salsa dancing--in fact the answer is not too clear!.

But before I go any further with that, I feel I must make a public apology to Ricardo0900 who was absolutely correct in pointing out that the Eddie Torres style of dance that he is currently teaching is in fact something he cooked up in the late 70s or early 80s. However, I will also point out that i was right to suspect that his history played a role here, because it is merely an elaboration of the original Mambo Ballroom style. There is a good article available from the Wikipedia that details all this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(dance) )

This is what they have to say about Eddie:

“The "NY Style" is a combination of the "On 1" and "On 2" systems. The timing of the steps are on the 1-2-3,5-6-7 as in "On 1" but the breaks (where the body changes direction) occur on the 2 and 6 as in "On 2". NY instructor Eddie Torres developed this step pattern around the late 70's and the 80's and its definition is quite clear since he is still alive and his followers are keen to keep the style intact.”

Now I dont quite get the statement about timing of the steps in the second sentence, but it does back Ricardo up.

When I am wrong I admit it.

If you all want to learn more about claves, which is pretty fascinating actually, I will try to post what I have written.

I also figured out why I am sometimes breaking forward on two, but that is a different style called "on clave" and it came about as a result of misunderstanding the rules governing the opening of the dance in the Torres style (See Below).

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
OK final point, the confusion comes from how Eddie Torres starts his dancers off. The dance for them begins after the first measure of 4/4, so on beat six the man moves forward with his left foot, and then continues on through in the Eddie Torres manner, which basically involves moving your feet on 123, and 567 but changing direction after (he says "on" but you really change just after) two and six. He has his dancers move back two steps for the first two beats, then return to place, then forward for two steps on 5 (Right) and 6 (Left), changing in direction and returning back to your place again.

This website explains it all:

http://www.salsanewyork.com/ourdancemusic.htm#DEFINITION

So you see that this is a kind of overelaborate ballroom evolved style that, to tell the truth I find irritating! While it starts out almost like a normal dance -- moving left foot forward on second beat of a measure -- in fact you rest for the first measure (and you always see the Torre dancers assume the position like this), and when you break back you enter into a rather different step pattern from the older "on Two" or "On Clave" style,a nd you have to kind of get used to this change up. Seems to me a bit fussy.

I went back and looked at old Mambo dancers and early salsa, and while people are breaking on one or two, possibly according to how they feel the clave (more on this later), they are NOT dancing the Eddie Torres style.

Whew. Finally got that cleared up.

So do what Ricardo says and just dance!! keep the dance alive.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
macocael said:
That's an excellent website, especially the calendar part for all those On2 club and socials, by the way is the best. I see Steve Seda on that link of dancers and he is one of my favorite instructors, his turn-pattern classes (Intermediate) are difficult. He is also one of the Caba boys at NYC Copacabana and if you want to see him in action, go to the Copa on Saturday and watch the Copa Girls(Melanie & Friends) and Cabana Boys tear it up On2. I will break it down for all those new dancers out there, oh yeah maco, it sounds like you know your salsa so please chime in if I am wrong.

If you want to learn basic salsa and just enjoy yourself, you can either take beginning courses On2 or On1, I would recommend On1 for the simple fact that you will be able to find more partners all over the world. Or have someone teach you and practice in the clubs.

If you want to become a Hot Salsa dancer, you have to take classes "with a partner" because with complicated turn patterns your foot placement has to be accurate with the timing. Anything after beginners classes, you entering the realm of professional choreagraphed dance numbers. Now, 90% of the salsa dancers are just basic dancers who enjoy a simple turn here and there. So in other words, you can't do those fancy turn patterns with someone who doesn't know, you'll throw them off. If you take classes with your friend or significant other, you're guaranteed to look good, because you've done that dance number over and over and over again. Or if you don't have a partner, a lot of dance schoolers, go to the clubs after classes and practice there stuff.

Enjoy people,
Ricardo "On Whatever":classic:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yep, I agree. I have in fact been trying to interest my wife in perhaps trying out a few lessons with me at a decent school here -- if one can be found. Alot depends on the instructor. My wife can dance just fine, but salsa beyond a basic turn or two is beyond her -- and beyond my ability to teach her. The reall good dancers work at it, so you have to have real determination. I personally prefer a simpler street style, but I wouldnt mind mastering a few shines and fancy turns with my regular partner.

Some of the dance schools in NYC have a pretty lively social scene going too, but once you look at that site, you realize just how well organized, numerous and in control the Torres gang is. A tribute to his vision, I guess. The dance school world is tough!

Perhaps I should start off another string here about salsa dance schools in st domingo for those of us who want to learn more and keep practising, but dont have access to the NY school. Maybe those of us down here who like salsa can get together on this somehow. Sounds like a good idea.

I will be posting a thread as well on the clave -- since I went ahead and did the research, I might as well share it with everyone -- but one thing it turned up is the fact that the whole argument about On 2 being in synch with the clave is bull, or at least it is not what they say it is. The reasons for this are interesting and complicated. I am talking with a bunch of heavy duty salsa dancers and some musicians to see if we can all agree on just what importance the clave has for dancers. So stay tuned.

tyles suarez

May 5, 2006
Oye Salsero,

I called the three numbers to sign to a salsa class and none of them are available. These numbers don't exist.
Goodness me what do I have to do to learn Salsa in Santa Domingo.
Neither does the salsa en24horas website help much!:ermm: :ermm:

tyles suarez

May 5, 2006
Sorry,

My apologies.......You are right. The salsa en 21 horas is correct and so is Pasos. Which one would you recommend?
I work in a hotel and I have three days off every 11 days and I work in Bavaro::ermm: ????
Please help me out Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Makumba disco for salsa

Last week I had a great night of salsa dancing in la capital in Makumba on Avenida Venezuela in Santo Domingo Este.
After some merengue, they played more than an hour long non-stop salsa, mostly colombian and puertorican salsa. Quite a lot of good dancers, local people, no tourists, no upper class as has been written here before. Sadly el 'ca?onazo de las 12' ended this great Thursday night at midnight.
Don't worry about not getting back home, there were plenty of cheap taxis waiting at curfew time.

Tyles, I haven't taken clases in Santo Domingo myself so can't help with picking the best.

Bartolomeo

rich17

May 1, 2006
dominicans are the best

hey ricardo900 ,speaking of salsa dancers. im from new york, and if you ask the proffesional dancers themselves who the best dancer is right now and they will tell you its a dominican ,his name is Franklin Diaz. i've seen this guy and he is amazing. talk about an innovator, hes actually incorporating flamenco into his salsa..you might not have seen him in the clubs cause he rarely dances in public. but hes there checking out the competition.

elmojito

Jun 1, 2006
Salsa

If you are looking for salsa you are in the wrong country, you have to go to Cuba, that?s where its at. Dominicans have no clue about Salsa. :ermm:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you are looking for salsa you are in the wrong country, you have to go to Cuba, that?s where its at. Dominicans have no clue about Salsa. :ermm:

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't have a clue", but almost every dance club/disco I have been to in the DR encorporates Salsa into the mix of music they play and dance to. Perhaps a bit less than Merengue or Bachata, but they always play it. As to the level of expertise of the dancers, I only know that I enjoy watching some of them. It would stand to reason that Cuba has more skilled salsa dancers, since it is the most popular music there, wheras in the DR it is probably number 4, behind Merengue, Bachata and Reggaeton.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think I understand Elmojito's comment. I would agree with him. Salsa here is not strongly danced. The "good" salsa dancers in this country would be barely adequate in some other areas. Yes Cuba has phenomenal salsa dancers. You can also find them in Miami, New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, London England, etc etc..

By comparison the salsa dancers here are just not up to par. Maybe it is because they have not been dancing it that long. Maybe it isn't the preferred dance and music. Also my experience is they dance the basic backwards so leads go in the opposite direction to what most people are used to. The men go forward on their right foot instead of their left.

I have managed to find a few good salsa dancers here, and I have seen improvement in the last 5 years. I'd love to go to a club that plays much much more salsa. Now in a 4 hour evening usually we get about 6 to 8 songs, not much more.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Even in NYC, the Salsa Capital of the World, you won't find Dominican clubs that will play any more than 3-5 Salsa records during the night and I strongly believe that it is played to give the bachateros and merengueros a chance to cool off and get a drink. Also, many Dominicans are not too keen on trying new dance steps like Salsa, they don't want to be embarrased and looked at. I remember a couple of years ago I went to the Mirage on Dykman and the dance floor was packed, when they started to play salsa, everybody ran to their seats. Bachata and Merengue and now Regaeton is the sound of choice in the DR, I seriously doubt it will change. But don't get me wrong, they know the words to many Salsa records.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think you are right Ricardo......... my experience is that they do not want to be watched unless theycan show how good they are. If they are not good at it they won't be up there. However those who don't really know, do not want to learn for the most part. They are Latino and they know how to dance, they dont' need to be shown how! Ego!