Saving Money in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i spoke about it many times. i tip from nothing (if low bill or really bad service) to 10%, maybe more if i am rounding up.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Do you tip the entire shift pay to a NYC bartender/round?
If you tip $RD300 on every round, she will expect that from every dumb gringo that shows up @ the bar, and your service level is not any better than tipping once.

It's your money, I tip heavy on the first round to ensure great service, but seriously fellow, that is excessive. I guess you were trying to look like a "player" in front of your novia, I hope it worked, what did you tip her?

I really wasn't trying to impress anyone. I just have the mentality that if you service me right, you deserve a good tip. I didn't realize 300 pesos would be excessive, but in retrospect, $7 tip for $6 worth of beer is indeed excessive.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
hahaha, and it will get better. Just wait until it keeps adding up the more you like her. Until you find yourself paying for an apartment so that according to her "podemos tener privacidad".

LOL :D Funny guy

Nah... If I do see her again, it will be just like the last time. I paid US$260 for my week-long stay at the local apartahotel that's minutes from where she lives.

If that becomes a problem, I'll know what she was really about from the get go. It wasn't a problem at all when we met. But you're right.. That can... and probably will change.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OMAR", I am Available!
Somehow I get the impression yo are a very nice, and "OVERLY GENEROUS" soul!
Here's a tip from ans"Old Hand" in the DR.
You can never give a Dominican "ENOUGH"!!!!!!
Enough Time, Enough "Gifts", and ESPECIALLY "ENOUGH DINERO"!
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, don't even start!!!!!!
That way, you will have an idea, you will NEVER know for sure, if they actually like YOU, Doubtful,or your "STUFF"!
Besides, you will be pleasantly surprised at how little it takes from YOU, to get the one "THING" you want from them!
If you are looking to get "LAID" the DR is THE place to do it!!!
If you are seeking a long term relationship, from a loving, caring, GIVING partner,"No-So-Much"!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
YOU must decide exactly "WHAT" you are seeking here,and exactly what,and how much you are willing to give to get it!
And I don't mean only money, I mean, time, energy, effort, and most important long term, "HEART BREAK"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 15, 2005
LOL :D Funny guy

Nah... If I do see her again, it will be just like the last time. I paid US$260 for my week-long stay at the local apartahotel that's minutes from where she lives.

If that becomes a problem, I'll know what she was really about from the get go. It wasn't a problem at all when we met. But you're right.. That can... and probably will change.

I don't know Bro, if it will or not. Hopefully it won't and she's cool, you sound like a smart cat. But as others have pointed out, don't be to frivolous with your doe or you will get pegged as someone that has no regard for money. Not good.
Locals bargain and barter for EVERYTHING, you should at it this way and frame it.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here's a real "Money Saver"!
Dominican girls will charge less for sex, just before "Payday", the 15th., and 31st. of the month, and before Holidays.
Makes me "Believe In A GOD"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
"OMAR", I am Available!
Somehow I get the impression yo are a very nice, and "OVERLY GENEROUS" soul!
Here's a tip from ans"Old Hand" in the DR.
You can never give a Dominican "ENOUGH"!!!!!!
Enough Time, Enough "Gifts", and ESPECIALLY "ENOUGH DINERO"!
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, don't even start!!!!!!
That way, you will have an idea, you will NEVER know for sure, if they actually like YOU, Doubtful,or your "STUFF"!
Besides, you will be pleasantly surprised at how little it takes from YOU, to get the one "THING" you want from them!
If you are looking to get "LAID" the DR is THE place to do it!!!
If you are seeking a long term relationship, from a loving, caring, GIVING partner,"No-So-Much"!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
YOU must decide exactly "WHAT" you are seeking here,and exactly what,and how much you are willing to give to get it!
And I don't mean only money, I mean, time, energy, effort, and most important long term, "HEART BREAK"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And I hear you. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm hoping to be right about her. lol

Here's some perspective on my situation with her.

The lady I met here earlier this March is 42 years old. She has two kids. One of them lives with her, the other lives with her ex husband whom she's still legally married to. Supposedly she's working on finalizing the divorce this year.

She lives with her parents in a 3-family house. The other two apartments in this house are "rented" by her sister and brother. I say "rented" because I don't really know what's the scoop with the other two siblings and didn't take to dig into it.

Supposedly back when she lived with her husband, life was good. She was the one bringing most of the dough while her husband was the one ****ing both of their incomes away. Then her daughter was born with a medical condition that ultimately required she become a full-time mom. Adding to her husband supposedly having affairs with other women online ultimately lead to the marriage falling apart.

Fast forward to today.... Her income from back then is nothing like it was before. The manager from her old place of employment has long moved on so she can't get that job... and alleged better income... back. So she's stuck having to make do with what she earns today.... or US$250 per month.

I've made it clear to her from the beginning that if we were to make a serious move together, it would only be possible by her coming to New York on her own, NOT by marrying me. Meaning, she would have to figure it out about getting herself a visa to come here. And this is where this whole situation grinds to a screeching halt because last I checked, immigration law is very clear about the financial solvency requirement to get a visa, and on her income that clearly won't become a reality for her anytime soon.

Soooo in all honesty.... I know in reality what this will ever be.... For the foreseeable future, I will be the one visiting her and spending time with her in DR.. And I'm okay with that... I refuse to take on her kids. I already have one of my own here in New York, and the child support I pay for her is already a pain in my ass.

Buuuuuut.... In the remote chance that she will get her **** together and actually cross that border on her own, I will be waiting here with open arms.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OMAR" your "Friend's" story contains EVERY STORY I EVER heard from a Dominicana, all at ONCE!
It has so many "Holes" it looks like "Swiss Cheese", and "Swiss Cheese" is VERY EXPENSIVE in the DR!
I will not take the time to list them one by one, I'll just say, You need to be "Lactose Intolerant" in her case!!!!!!
( I Like THAT!!!)
Back to "Latin Lovelies.com" for "OMAR"!
Try the 18 to 25 section!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I don't know Bro, if it will or not. Hopefully it won't and she's cool, you sound like a smart cat. But as others have pointed out, don't be to frivolous with your doe or you will get pegged as someone that has no regard for money. Not good.
Locals bargain and barter for EVERYTHING, you should at it this way and frame it.

Time will tell. I'm in no rush to make any moves with her. I have to get my own house in order as it is.

I guess it's hard for me to adapt the wheeling and dealing mentality since I hate when that's done to me, but you're right. I felt bad for the stuff I saw happening out there. Women standing with their children in their arms asking for money, little kids cleaning your windshields for money. It's a sad reality that I'm personally trying my hardest to shield my child from.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
"OMAR" your "Friend's" story contains EVERY STORY I EVER heard from a Dominicana, all at ONCE!
It has so many "Holes" it looks like "Swiss Cheese", and "Swiss Cheese" is VERY EXPENSIVE in the DR!
I will not take the time to list them one by one, I'll just say, You need to be "Lactose Intolerant" in her case!!!!!!
( I Like THAT!!!)
Back to "Latin Lovelies.com" for "OMAR"!
Try the 18 to 25 section!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LOL :D

Yes, I hear ya. And you're probably right. The more I ask her about this, the funnier it sounds to me, and the more I'm alright with thinking of her as a vacation time girl.

But she is a persistent cat. God forbid I don't text her back for a long period of time. My phone starts to ring off the hook. LOL

Here's a funny tidbit to my story.... I admitted to her from the beginning before even taking the trip to DR that I do have a lover in New York and that I see her from time to time. When I don't respond to messages or phone calls, I'm likely "unavailable" or spending quality time with said lover.

And well...... I still made the trip to DR and she still made it worth my while. :D

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Another money saver - at the risk of offending fellow Gringos, especically those with businesses here.

Don't buy from a Gringo. OK, I'm not actually advising to never buy anything from a gringo. I'm just saying shop around and make sure your shopping around includes talking to Dominican sellers and not only gringos.

My Dominican relatives always say "You can't buy anything from a gringo. They want too much and don't negotiate. They only negotiate when they want to buy but not when they sell."

Of course I tell them that is not true with everyone. But my own experiences with buying here on the island are that I can often get better deals from Dominicans with a little negotiating.

I do get the feel that many times a gringo has his price set and isn't welling to negotiate much. A Dominican would start at the same price but negotiate more.

An example - the house I rent I am renting from a Dominican. He wanted $950 at first. That is about right in the area and what a typical gringo would start at.

We negotiated it down to $725 the first year. I seriously doubt most gringos would negotiate down that far. I was skeptical at first about renting from a Dominican after reading horror stories but I'm glad we did. The price was right and he takes care of everything. The house has no major issues but there are minor breaks sometimes and things always get fixed right away.

So when it was time to renew the lease he wanted to bump the rent up to $800 but we actually negotiated it down to $600. I just said rents have come down everywhere and we can get a similar house for $550 now. Some back and forth and we settled at $600. I just don't think a fellow gringo wanting $950 to start would ever get down to $600.

In fact I know I wouldn't if I was that gringo. I don't negotiate that much where I came from. I wouldn't set a price at $950 and let you get it for $600.

There may be some good reasons a gringo would charge more in the first place. Maybe it's because they pay their employees more than a typical Dominican boss would. Maybe its because they pay more for the day to day items and get ripped off a lot and need to recoup those costs. Extra import taxes and junk.

Some of it may be because they simply can. Many folks unfortunately would trust a fellow countryman for no other reason than that. Whatever price a Dominican tells us we think is too high and we want to negotiate. If a Dominican we never met says he has the best price in town we don't believe him and we shouldn't. But after a few minutes of conversation with a fellow countryman some of us might believe it.

Maybe I have more than average luck dealing with Dominicans because I do it regularly and don't try to avoid it any cost.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
1. If you rent, re-negotiate it. And never pay an up-charge after just one year (or whatever your term is). First, don't let your landlord tell you when it is time to renew the lease that he wants more moeny. There is too much competition for renters. You might pay him the same if you like the place but don't pay more. After a few years in one place, maybe, but not year after year. Also, try negotiating it lower yourself. Rents drop around here often. Last time we were set to renew ours we were paying $725. The landlord said he wanted to put $800 on the new lease. I told him we have a big problem because I don't want to pay $725 again, much less $800. I told him we could get a similar place for $550 now since rents have come down. He said OK, he'll keep it at $725. I said OK, we'll be moving. He came back the next day and offered it at $600 and we accepted.

An example - the house I rent I am renting from a Dominican. He wanted $950 at first. That is about right in the area and what a typical gringo would start at.

We negotiated it down to $725 the first year. I seriously doubt most gringos would negotiate down that far. I was skeptical at first about renting from a Dominican after reading horror stories but I'm glad we did. The price was right and he takes care of everything. The house has no major issues but there are minor breaks sometimes and things always get fixed right away.

So when it was time to renew the lease he wanted to bump the rent up to $800 but we actually negotiated it down to $600. I just said rents have come down everywhere and we can get a similar house for $550 now. Some back and forth and we settled at $600. I just don't think a fellow gringo wanting $950 to start would ever get down to $600.

In fact I know I wouldn't if I was that gringo. I don't negotiate that much where I came from. I wouldn't set a price at $950 and let you get it for $600.

We heard you the first time!
Are you getting confused or do you just like to hear yourself talk?
(Both these posts are in the same thread)

"R"

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
not sure this was the right place for this. I saw the sticky on cost of living, but this is more about ways to save money and not what anything actually costs.

Just a few tips for some folks that might be looking to save some money or wondering why they're not saving as much as they thought they would when they moved here. If you are just living it up and not looking to save money this wont' be for you.

1. If you rent, re-negotiate it. And never pay an up-charge after just one year (or whatever your term is). First, don't let your landlord tell you when it is time to renew the lease that he wants more moeny. There is too much competition for renters. You might pay him the same if you like the place but don't pay more. After a few years in one place, maybe, but not year after year. Also, try negotiating it lower yourself. Rents drop around here often. Last time we were set to renew ours we were paying $725. The landlord said he wanted to put $800 on the new lease. I told him we have a big problem because i don't want to pay $725 again, much less $800. I told him we could get a similar place for $550 now since rents have come down. He said ok, he'll keep it at $725. I said ok, we'll be moving. He came back the next day and offered it at $600 and we accepted.

2. Don't shop where the tourists shop. For example don't buy all your groceries at playero. You may get some stuff there that you can't find everywhere else but how many locals do you see shopping there when they aren't with an expat/tourist. There is a reason for that. You may not find everything you are looking for but if you head over to associacion in charamicos or to any of the fruit stores over there you will find stuff cheaper. Playero is only going to be cheaper if they have a special "oferta".

3. Walk away when you are negotiating a price. If you walk away they will be forced to sell you at the price you want or they will lose your business. If they don't meet your price maybe you are a bit off on how you value the item. No worries, if you want it go to someone else selling the same thing and use the same technique but be willing to pay a little more. By the way this technique also helps them to meet your price much faster the next time once they start to know who you are and know you will leave and not buy.

4. Cut back on tips. It is not normal to tip your barber here. It is normal to tip at bars and restaurants but not 25, 20, 18 or even 15 percent. 10 percent is normal. Of course if you really like someone's service do what you want. I'm just pointing out that the tip expectations here are much different than they probably are where you are from. Also some restaurants here do include the tip. Most don't but a few more start doing it every now and then. So before you tip make sure it isn't included.

5. Read your bills. Every bill. They can be wrong. Here it happens more due to less education and less technology. Sometimes it may be intentional but it is usually just a mistake. Check it carefully. And don't get irate and start yelling like a maniac right away. Give them a chance to fix it. A couple of weeks ago a really laid into a restaurant owner that tried to rip me off but that was after i explained the problem with the bill first and gave him a chance to fix it. He just played stupid so i let him have it. I only do that after i know you are trying to play me.

6. Get vonage or magic jack or something like that or even skype if you want to call out of the country a lot. If you need to receive calls you can have vonage forward to your dominican cell phone and nobody will know. That is important for me for work reasons. If you want to make local calls a dominican cell phone will be cheaper. A foreign cell phone will pay roaming charges.

7. Use the public taxi or the guagua if you can take the crowd. A public taxi to puerto plata is $45 pesos. You would spend more on gas for your car. And if you don't like sitting four to the back seat of a small sedan you can pay for two seats and have more room. If you travel with a friend you can split the cost of the extra empty seat. The cab driver is happy as long as he has four fares for the back seat, he doesn't care if he has four bodies.

8. Get health insurance if you don't have it. Dominican health insurance is cheap and covers a lot. Ok doctors here are cheap too compared to what we are used to but the nickels and dimes can add up. You don't even have to have residency to be covered. Mine is about $14,000 pesos for the whole year. If i got to the doctor i only pay $300 pesos not $1,000. If i need blood work, x-rays, whatever it is almost always free or at most i may pay $200 pesos. Actually i hardly never go to the doctor so i'm losing money on this deal for now but i figure i need it in case something big happens. Also if you don't have it and end up getting cancer or heart disease or something some day you won't be able to get coverage for it then. Img also offers nice international insurance plans that work here. It is a bit more costly. That is what i had when i first moved to the country and was paying $1,200 dollars per year for it. When you need the insurance you'll be sorry if you don't have it.

9. If you are out drinking get the big beer. Get a glass if you need to. If you worry about it getting warm ask the bartender to put it on ice, it won't be a problem. If you are just going to buy two small ones anyway why not buy one big one. It's about 2 ounces difference. The cost for two small ones may be $160 pesos but one big one is just $90 or $100. It's not much but if you are drinking enough it adds up. I don't pay any attention to this one myself. You have to drink a lot for this to make a real difference but if you are one of those who puts back 6 - 12 a night six times a week then this might add up to a nice steak dinner.

10. Hit the classifieds. Some of the prices that some people want are ridiculous but you will see many good things there and may even be able to trade some stuff.

11. Ask your dominican friends. If you don't have any, just ask workers at the restaurant you frequent or whatever. It's good to ask the other expats, especially those that have lived here for a long time but asking a dominican is a good way to find where something is cheaper and how much you should honestly expect to pay. Again, it should be someone you know fairly well and never follow them to "i have the guy for you". In other words don't let them think they can somehow profit from the question. My dominican friends always find me deals i don't think are possible.
dude me and my girl just read your post...you are so correct on everything lol

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
cjp2010 I think it is about time you started a thread about " Dominican food" now because I see you are talking about everything under the sun LOL but I like that. Tell us what are you favorite food in DR, favorite dishes, fruit, drink etc.

Then after the food thread talk about transportaion in DR like are guaguas right for gringos, do public cars make a great second car for less money, subway, what are the best cars to own in DR, keeping your tires filled with air etc.

Last but no least C2010 I want you to talk about being a "pet owner" in DR because of all the stray dogs on the island. People poison dogs in DR and I was wonder how you would handle this?

BTW You would make a good mayor for any DR city because after reading your threads DR is not a bad place to JMB773 anymore THANKS!!!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I own a vehicle so I dont have to sit in a carro publico or gua gua why would I catch one if I own a vehicle ???

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
My Dominican relatives always say "You can't buy anything from a gringo. They want too much and don't negotiate. They only negotiate when they want to buy but not when they sell."

1. If you rent, re-negotiate it. And never pay an up-charge after just one year (or whatever your term is). First, don't let your landlord tell you when it is time to renew the lease that he wants more moeny. There is too much competition for renters. You might pay him the same if you like the place but don't pay more. After a few years in one place, maybe, but not year after year. Also, try negotiating it lower yourself. Rents drop around here often. Last time we were set to renew ours we were paying $725. The landlord said he wanted to put $800 on the new lease. I told him we have a big problem because i don't want to pay $725 again, much less $800. I told him we could get a similar place for $550 now since rents have come down. He said ok, he'll keep it at $725. I said ok, we'll be moving. He came back the next day and offered it at $600 and we accepted.

funny
you sound like that gringo your family was talking about
:bunny:

Manu

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I hardly mention this, but I stole some cocaine from Isla Saona, so I'm chatty.

This is why I date men. They don't need salons, fancy houses or meals out. They also have no problem working 8 hours a day and making a cerrucho (serrucho?) for rum.

Much more relaxing and stress free then many of my friends that date women.

Anyway, there's my 2 pesos on the matter.

ciao

Pablo29

Mar 23, 2013
Very confusing! You've been with a "dominicana" for 18 years, but you say to never have a long term relationship ???

Status
Not open for further replies.