SCAMS in DR.. Do tell. LOL

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Why is it ok for you to tarnish this guys name anonymously?

He may be a scumbag, but you really should use your real name to keep the playing field level here SG.

I Have had first hand dealings with this guy, infact I think I was the first to bring this guy to the attention of others on this forum quite some time ago. Extremely crooked, but didn't convince me one bit, when I started pressing questions about the running and morality of his company he backed off. I kept pushing him for answers and in the end he stopped replying to my quieries.
He obviously is still in action to some degree as I occasionally get hit with a multi mail on my email.
Don't get involved, he is now pretty well known in the field, well the name is anyway. I expect once a face is put to the name, he'll be off.

Mar 1, 2009
One scam I heard of is that clinicas are picking up ppl who are I'll or injured and if they can't save them or they pass away while enroute in the ambulancia. They ACT like the person is on life support and still alive whilst being treated and the bills racked up. As soon as they have pushed it for as far as they can without the body decomposing. They tell you that the person JUST DIED and charge you an arm and a leg. This is low, low, low.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
One scam I heard of is that clinicas are picking up ppl who are I'll or injured and if they can't save them or they pass away while enroute in the ambulancia. They ACT like the person is on life support and still alive whilst being treated and the bills racked up. As soon as they have pushed it for as far as they can without the body decomposing. They tell you that the person JUST DIED and charge you an arm and a leg. This is low, low, low.

That one is a classic. :) At least used to be. Now it's a little more difficult.

E

engineerfg

I think this scam takes the cake.

The other day I flew into Santo Domingo airport, and when I landed, I was directed to stand in line and give $10 for a small chit of paper resembling a concert ticket. Then they asked me to proceed approximately 20 feet, and give the same chit of paper to another guy.

I calculated at least 500 people per hour are paying for these mysterious concert tickets, but there was no performance and the artists weren't even announced.

I'm not sure who's benefiting from this scam, but whoever they are, they're making out like bandits and definitely needs to be stopped!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Not so much a scam as a fund-raising enterprise.

I was driving near Costambar yesterday when a PN motore pulled alongside and signalled to me.
Two extremely polite,well presented and friendly young policeman enquired about my welfare etc. and then suggested I could give them money to buy some new tyres and spare parts for their motorbike.
I laughed with them at their suggestion and said that I don't have enough money to support the government's spending.
They wished me politely good journey and drove away.
Bizarre but amusing.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
If so much your energy is being spent on guarding yourself from Dominicans, would not it be better for your peace of mind and well-being to go home?

Now, if you have plenty of time, also start one thread on the massive scam USA banks and Wall Street pulled recently on its citizens . You may add the endless Nigerian scams, Ponzi scheme scams and so on.

Seems the DR ones are just petty cash compared to those, and if someone has one gram of common sense, he or she just dont bite. You can not protect suckers from themselves.

I say: get a life, hit the beach, or do some community work.

Condotito, I agree 100% lol I'm from the USA and we are the scam capital of the world, the credo here in the USA is " BUYER BEWARE !"

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
lol

I think this scam takes the cake.

The other day I flew into Santo Domingo airport, and when I landed, I was directed to stand in line and give $10 for a small chit of paper resembling a concert ticket. Then they asked me to proceed approximately 20 feet, and give the same chit of paper to another guy.

I calculated at least 500 people per hour are paying for these mysterious concert tickets, but there was no performance and the artists weren't even announced.

I'm not sure who's benefiting from this scam, but whoever they are, they're making out like bandits and definitely needs to be stopped!

and u gave them the money ? jajajaja

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
My nanny received a call not long ago at my house telling her that I had been in a car accident and was in pretty bad shape and needed money for an operation; that I had told the caller to pass by my house to pick up my jewelry that were in my bedroom, that he was gonna be there in 5 minutes to pick them up. The nanny tried to hang up and call me but he kept calling our number till she called me from her cel phone to double check that it was a scam….

And last night around 9.30pm I picked up my mom from the SD airport and was walking in the parking lot with mom, my daughter and my friend (tall guy) was walking separate from us. Some tigre came out of nowhere and was doing as if he was gonna help us with the luggage and when he saw my friend he took off real quick….that was a very close call!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
just last week i've heard about people winning a free week in orlando, florida. seems legit as it is coming from Marriot or they are using the Marriot name. they want to sell you a "time/share", the real scam is when they say that they can arrange for visas.

Reactions: mike l

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
That piece of paper - isnt that for tourists tax or something like that. for none resident. Its 10 USD and in Santiago I pay it when I get off the plane inside the airport before I go threw customs.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
That $10 lottery ticket is your entry tax into the country. Not a scam.

Has anyone heard of this "worldwide gifting" pyramid/matrix thing that's spreading around here? People give $6,000 pesos and supposedly make $50,000 in return. I haven't figured it out yet, but it's an obsession in our parts of town.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Someone calls you, allegedly from Claro, and he tells you you've won a refridgerator, a flatscreen tv, a Blackberry and R$D10,000.00. The Claro truck is on its way to your house but in the meantime he'd like you to confirm some personal info, starting with your full name, date of birth and address.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
How about those English schools that promise you'll be bilingual in 3 months. I've heard shady stories about some of them.