Security in DR

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I was at a bar or club, and one of the workers was trying to ask me to borrow cash. But I remembered reading the threads here on DR1, which says never to loan money to Dominicans because you will never get it back. So I told the guy(politely, Dominicans don't like to lose face), that I wouldn't be able to loan him the money, and he left me alone.

You should have just set yourself on fire. He would have politely excused himself.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
A lot of people in this country have illegal guns. The police don't exactly go door to door checking. But if you use it one day then they will know. If you can register the gun legally then you should do it. Of course you have to be a permanent resident or citizen to do that so that might be a reason for some people to get residency.

If you feel you must have a gun and don't want to do it legally then you must understand the risk you take. Having an illegal gun is not a light offense. Even if you are right to use it in self defense you are wrong because you aren't supposed to have it in the first place. That can lead to all sorts of problems, the least of them being financial.

My attorney is always reminding me to make sure my paperwork is up to date for mine. She always says I don't want to be stuck with out of date paperwork if I have to use it.

As for overall security and being fearful of the surroundings and such I am not afraid. If I was afraid of my surroundings I'd get new surroundings. I'd move to another neighborhood, another city or another country but I wouldn't live somewhere where I was afraid to do the things I wanted to do.

I live in a Dominican neighborhood and have had no problems. I do take precautions and have the gun but so far have never even thought about reaching for it. I do go out at night and often on foot around the neighborhood. Of course I know most of the people in it now.

Some say gated communities are better and some say they are worse. I really don't trust the private security guards myself.

My main precaution is to blend into my neighborhood and not be a target. I don't have a lot of fancy stuff and don't wear fancy clothes. My computer and big screen TV would be targets but I don't let people into the house to see them. Only very close relatives and friends get to come inside. In this neighborhood most people don't have anything worth stealing so the thieves are spending their time in other places.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Same "$HIT", just a different "Screen Name"!!!!!!!!!!
His "Sickness" just keeps shining through.
He had this, "I can't believe CCCCCCCCCCCC is a MOD", rant under his "Old Name"!
This is the guy who sits in his room, masturbating to video games, if I remember correctly.
I guess what they say IS TRUE!
To many "Video games" can make you "NUTS"!
As far as the "Masturbation" goes,
I'm still working on THAT! :cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
In lieu of owning a gun, you can buy tasers on line. That would be a shocking experience to an intruder and word would get out not to __ck with you.

LTSteve
Hi LT Steve, did they really ship tasers to DR. Do I need a license? Do you have the website? Thanks in advance

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I went to Boston one year, I came back to "DR1" as, "Billy Bo Bob".
I got "outed" after about 3 posts!
To much punctuation I guess.
Now I post as "CHIP".
Nobody is on to me yet!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"It's It CRIS, or Chip?"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Abortion Is Murder!

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
You're wise. Listen, using a legal gun in the USA to kill an intruder in your home could get you in trouble, depending on the situation. Talk to any American attorney and he will tell you. Now what do you think it would be like in the DR, a country with a very questionable legal system? And then you have the "us versus them" mentality that the locals will inevitably show. Even if someone enters your home in the DR illegally, and you're forced to use deadly force, the locals may not see it that way. You could quickly find yourself in a deadly situation.

Using a gun here in the DR for me is a big no no. There are too many unknown variables. Just saying "pay the cops a bribe" sounds too simple to me. As an outsider you will likely be blamed for whatever happens. The family of the people you killed will certainly want to kill you. And they have the resources and local advantages to do it. No way an outsider can win. You could try to leave but..........you think the local cops are gonna let you just up and fly out of the DR? Nope.

Owning a gun? You think your safer now? NOT TRUE! You actually just made your potential situation a matter of life and death for you, your loved ones and whomever comes calling. Your best bet, is to train your instincts!!!!!!!!! Prevention, is protection!!! A fire arm is a false sense of security, and here is why. A gun creates anxiety!!! Your always worried about where it is, who might have access, and is it close enough to me so I can use it if I have to. Generally in a home invasion, kidnapping, or planned robbery situation, the bad guys got the upper hand always always always. They for one, have the JUMP ON YOU. They watched you, they know your comings and goings. They may even know you have a weapon. YOU MUST be either trained in tatical situations or have serious military or law enforcement training if you think your gonna get your gune in time, take the safety off, point and shoot multiple assailants. That's right folks, multiple assailants, oh and remember, GOT THE JUMP ON YOU. 9 times out of 10 your f%%ED! Reaction time is critical and that is a result of training and experience. Most folks will freeze for several seconds before their brain sends a signal that says" hey go get my gun" and in those seconds, you die.

PREVENTION IS THE ANSWER!!!

1. Know your surroundings
2. Watch who is watching you (Counter surveillance)
3. ALWAYS TRY TO BLEND IN AS BEST YOU CAN
4. RE-enforce all doors and windows
5. Big and little dogs(THEY GIVE YOU WARNINGS) (IF THEY GET SICK, THEY HAVE BEEN POISONED)
6. Where clothes that don't say GRINGO all over
7. Know your neighboors
8. NEVER DISCUSS YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION WITH ANYONE EVER
9. ONLY USE A TRUSTED TAXI...Don't fully trust him either
10. Don't bring prostitutes into your home ever.

This is just a start, but if you start here you will adapt other techniques that will compliment these. After a while this will become second nature. You won't feel paranoid, just careful. I am never paranoid, but I am always ready for anything....But most of all.....I am ready to RUN...........................................

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I am going to start walking around with human feces and urine smeared all over my body as a deterent.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I think its obvious most of you dont live here. If you do find one of your policia neighbors. Ask them how to own and carry a gun legally. Having said that, the best thing you can do is know your neighbors. If you have security where you live bring them juice, food or whatever when you seem them out. I walk the barrios where my familia lives anytime i want. I drink with them i play dominos with them and i take turns buying the cervezas. But know that dominicans like to talk crap. And the proper response is to talk crap back. Learn the language. In the states someone talks crap next thing you know someone is fighting or pulling a knife or a gun. On more than one ocassion i have the crap talkers friends die risa at the crap talker, only to have the perp come back and say amigos. Mi play. Criminals are criminals. And should be dealt with accordingly. Mostly the people are very friendly. Always have enough money to give a thief but never enough to fight to the death over. Use your brain. But really i have survived south Dallas, south Chicago, south Atlanta and most of the large metro areas of the US. Personally i think the US is much more violent. Dont be places you shouldnt be and dont do things you shouldnt do. But i do think Santo Domingo is safer than any of the aforementioned cities and i refuse to live scared.

and by

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Owning a gun? You think your safer now? NOT TRUE! You actually just made your potential situation a matter of life and death for you, your loved ones and whomever comes calling. Your best bet, is to train your instincts!!!!!!!!! Prevention, is protection!!! A fire arm is a false sense of security, and here is why. A gun creates anxiety!!! Your always worried about where it is, who might have access, and is it close enough to me so I can use it if I have to. Generally in a home invasion, kidnapping, or planned robbery situation, the bad guys got the upper hand always always always. They for one, have the JUMP ON YOU. They watched you, they know your comings and goings. They may even know you have a weapon. YOU MUST be either trained in tatical situations or have serious military or law enforcement training if you think your gonna get your gune in time, take the safety off, point and shoot multiple assailants. That's right folks, multiple assailants, oh and remember, GOT THE JUMP ON YOU. 9 times out of 10 your f%%ED! Reaction time is critical and that is a result of training and experience. Most folks will freeze for several seconds before their brain sends a signal that says" hey go get my gun" and in those seconds, you die.

PREVENTION IS THE ANSWER!!!

1. Know your surroundings
2. Watch who is watching you (Counter surveillance)
3. ALWAYS TRY TO BLEND IN AS BEST YOU CAN
4. RE-enforce all doors and windows
5. Big and little dogs(THEY GIVE YOU WARNINGS) (IF THEY GET SICK, THEY HAVE BEEN POISONED)
6. Where clothes that don't say GRINGO all over
7. Know your neighboors
8. NEVER DISCUSS YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION WITH ANYONE EVER
9. ONLY USE A TRUSTED TAXI...Don't fully trust him either
10. Don't bring prostitutes into your home ever.

This is just a start, but if you start here you will adapt other techniques that will compliment these. After a while this will become second nature. You won't feel paranoid, just careful. I am never paranoid, but I am always ready for anything....But most of all.....I am ready to RUN...........................................

And so were we, following your 10 rules and even more, we were ready to run, except that you don't run far away when you you are robbed at gun point (gun at your temple) at 4 in the afternoon.

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
I don’t remember if I already posted this thread in the past but I knew a Swiss retired cop in SOS?A who owned a legally licensed pistol. One night he woke up from some noise in his house. He took his gun and went downstairs. He found 2 guys in his living room. They attacked him right away with machetes. He shot one of them dead and the other could escape. He found his 2 dogs poisoned outside and went to the police. The police went to his house together with him and found the dead guy. They took him back to the police station for questioning. This investigation took 3 days and had to stay in jail in the meanwhile.

Ten after a few weeks he received a medal from the Dominican government for shooting one of the most dangeres and wanted criminals in the DR but had to pay 250.000 DOP for the investigation.
This Swiss left the country and never came back.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
And so were we, following your 10 rules and even more, we were ready to run, except that you don't run far away when you you are robbed at gun point (gun at your temple) at 4 in the afternoon.

Pay these guys no mind. For me, I would not be alive and posting if I did not have a gun one night. So let them run, duck, and hide. I just defend myself.............

darksteel00

May 26, 2013
You missed the point of his post. I'm content to be on my own as well, but lets face it, the DR ain't a smart place to invest in a home. Think about it, the purchase of a house is the largest investment that most people will ever make......do you really want to own one in a place like this, with no potable tap water, no police protection, etc?

Houses in the DR are overpriced because land here is limited. For the price you pay for one house here, you could get multiple homes in the USA. And you'd have 911, services, etc. Not saying the USA is perfect, far from it. But at least the cops will show up during an emergency. Here is my take on the DR......if you like freedom, and are willing to give up security, stay here. If you like security, and are willing to give up freedom, go back to the USA, Europe, Canada or wherever you came from. everyone here will need to decide which one they value more, freedom or security. I like freedom which is why I will stay in the DR.

Forgive me for I am still new here and have just returned from my first 2 week trip to the DR. Avery interesting place. My question is what freedoms as an expat do you enjoy in the DR that are denied you in Europe, Canada or the US.s